Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the S9 Steyr a few years ago before management change and it was discontinued. It has always had a slight firing pin indention along with a full srike hole with firing pin wipe and some primer bulge (a nice donut ring around the firing pin hole). I have about 500 rounds through this pistol and am now getting more pronounced primer bulge around the main firing pin hole which is irregular and flattened, the slight primary stike I mentioned before is still evident. This occurred with Remington (L9MM3) and Speer Gold dot that I recently practiced with and when the same ammo was used in a "1911" there was no indication of any problem. A gunsmith told me that he thought that the Steyr was unlocking too early and that the condition was getting worse as the recoil spring gets weaker. Due to the age and discontinuance of this pistol I don't expect any sort of factory service but I would like to find a gunsmith that is familiar with the S9 that can correct this problem. At the least, I would like to find a heavier firing pin and recoil spring and see if it helps. Any advice would be helpful. Oh yes, is it possible to replace the old style trigger asswmbly with the upgraded model?

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
We'd need pictures to say for sure, but the descriptions sounds quite similar to dozens of other threads with users reporting the same thing. Regarding the trigger, if it's one of the very old, very heavy versions, Steyr will upgrade that for free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2013-09-17 124440.jpg
We'd need pictures to say for sure, but the descriptions sounds quite similar to dozens of other threads with users reporting the same thing. Regarding the trigger, if it's one of the very old, very heavy versions, Steyr will upgrade that for free.
Am trying to up load photo of 6 shell bases, am I can...will keep trying.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here are three R-P and three Speer Gold Dot if you can see the circle marked "A" it indicates a primary firing pin hit that appears on all shells in about the same place, it was particularly evident in the first hundred rounds. There is also a mark that I think is from the loaded chamber indicator near the rim, which you cannot see in these scans. I have about 800 rounds through the S9. My serial number is in the #020XXX range and the trigger pull is over 7 pounds. Your advice is very much appreciated as this has been my primary carry gun. I will pay for barrel replacement if a new locking lug is required as well as springs, and I would like to know how to change the captured recoil spring. I hope you can see the shell bases, they are scans rather than photos. Many thanks....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should add a comment: I have a Texas CCP and have been carrying the S9 for seven years when I travel long distances by car. I am a NRA instructor and have used it for familiarization firing in my pistol classes. My lady students have always enjoyed shooting it and wanted to purchase one, unfortunately at that time no more were available. A few weeks ago I decided to shoot it in an IDPA match, and after about 60 rounds I started having ejection problems and a couple of misfires. I cleaned it with a brush and break free, noticing what looked small particles of dirt in the chamber but I did not think much about it and continued shooting the match. A few days later I took the S9 to the range and checked the shell cases and found that the primer bulge was worse than it had been and I now presume that the "dirt" I saw was brass from a burst primer. I have used dozens of different makes handguns and never had this sort of problem. Never using cheap ammo, I still should have checked the pistol and shell cases carefully after each shooting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts