discoloration after cleaning

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Matches, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Matches

Matches New Member

Just cleaned my M9 the other night. The following night when I checked it before bed I noticed distinct discolored/light areas on the metal slide. Has anybody else experienced this? I used outters cleaner and thought I wipped it down pretty good afterward. Any suggestions for future maintenance.

Matches

2. madecov

madecov Active Member

Even though it's not needed, oil the slide lightly .
    When you clean you remove oil from the metal and that can have an effect on the color change.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

The finish on a Steyr slide is a fanciful creation. Whipe it down with a silicone gun cloth after you are done with maintenence. I got mine from walmart and I use it whenever I store my two pistols.

~Oz

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I had the same issue with my S40 after using Gunscrubber. It left au unsightly discoloration on the slide. I used some Break Free on it afterwards and a silicone cloth and it took most of it out. The break free powder blaster is a citrus oil based cleaner and is not as harsh as gunscrubber. You may also want to use a little FLITZ polisher on the slide. It can take out some of that discoloration as well.

5. Matches

Matches New Member

thanks for the replies.

A little gun oil did the trick. That was going to be my next step, but I though I'd ask around.

Matches