disappointing, M9A1 still jams after factory repair

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by BTF/PTM, Nov 26, 2007.

1. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

title says it all...finally got the pistol on the range after getting it back from Steyr with a new extractor assembly and recoil spring. Pistol feels VERY solid and is far more accurate than it was before (I guess the weak lock-up that Jeff noticed was important!), much more consistent. But...yea, there's a but...it still fails to eject. I got two FTE's in 100 rounds, both after the 80-round mark. Disappointing, to be sure. I'll contact Steyr tomorrow and get some feedback.

2. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

I shoot 1911 in .45 acp first and foremost and I never have trouble.. Now with the Steyr after 250 rounds I start to get failure to extract. I think it is just me and my hands getting tired.

Have you tried a new grip?

3. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

I use a competition style straight-thumbs grip on all three of my pistols. Neither of my Sigs have jammed since round No. 1 with half a dozen different people shooting them. I'll put another 100 rounds thru the M9 and track which rounds jam and then contact Steyr.

4. heavymetalmachine

I only have one more Idea. Did you look to see if it has a short mag spring?

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya BTF* :)

Sorry you're havin' probs, Bro. Can ya be a bit more specific about the FTE's? I mean is the slide closin' again on a spent round? Just curious.

Wulf

6. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM Guest

^ no worries :) I do feel the need to preface this with the good things about the gun, though, mostly because I haven't contacted Steyr yet about the recurring problem. I don't wanna be the guy who bitches and THEN goes back for help, that ain't right. So here goes...

Jeff at Steyr did an outstanding job with the gun overall, I'm too new a shooter to have noticed, but he thought that the lock-up of the gun wasn't strong enough so he replaced the recoil assembly along with replacing the extractor parts. That REALLY made a difference, the gun feels a ton more solid with that new spring in there, so a huge thanks to Steyr for having top notch people working with them. I truly do want to get the bugs worked out of the extractor becuz this lil pistol is a joy to shoot; it just feels right.

Ok, so now the extractor. It's doing what it did before the first extractor was replaced, it seems to be letting go of the cartridge during recoil. The cartridge comes a third or half-way out of the chamber and the next round gets jammed against the feed ramp as the gun tries to feed. It's very consistent in its mode of failure. I didn't count the exact number of rounds, but I do know that both jams occurred after at least 80 rounds were thru the gun. I put a full 100 thru it. The two jams happened one in each magazine (10-round mags), again I'm not sure how many rounds were in each mag when it happened. The new parts DID improve the gun, it used to jam as much as 3 times per magazine. Quite tiresome, to say the least.

I lost track of the west/east coast time difference today so I'll call tomorrow and talk to Jeff. I'll also give the whole gun (along with the extractor port) a thorough cleaning tonite along with my two others. Here's to hoping :)

7. heavymetalmachine

Thats the same thing mine does when I loosen my grip..At least thats what I thought caused it...

8. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

tapping your mags? seating all rounds to the rear of the magazine?

umc ammo?