Steyr Club Forums banner
2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Shooter 
#1 · (Edited)
I was "lucky" enough to score 2 boxes of 50rds each (100rds total) of Winchester SXZ 9mm Luger 115gr FMJ Flat Nose "Training".
Has anyone else had experience with this ammo?
My M9-A1 ran great and all but as I was disassembling it to clean it tonite, I noticed it was extremely dirty after running only 2 mags through her.
Is this normal for this type/brand of ammo?
I've run several types/brands through it and don't ever recall it being this dirty.

#2 ·
Even the same brand can "dirty up" if they change the powder filling the cases. In my experience WWB was dirty, my reloads with 800X as well, and my reloads with WSF are cleaner. It can change, based also on the amount of powder in the case, so YMMV.

Slower burning powders in short barreled weapons are dirtier, there isn't enough time for the powder to completely burn. Small amounts of fast burning powder don't have that problem obviously, but you have to really watch the reloading process to avoid double charges. Double charges are the principle cause for the Kabooms.

The mirror image of this case is a squib load, where the first bullet doesn't make it out of the barrel due to a weak charge or weak primer, and the second bullet wedges behind the first with chamber pressures going past the yield point of the metal.

Neither of these is condusive to the health and wellbeing of the shooter, starting with a sudden need for a change of elements of clothing...

#3 ·
Thanks ETH,
And you're right.
The only reason I was so surprised is because I still have an "old" (well before the craziness- 2yrs old(?)) partial box of Winchester JHP's that I ran through my A1 last week and it was no where near as dirty after 4 mags of it. But it was also the loose box of 100rds and not this SXZ Training stuff.
There's def a difference in the powder.

#4 ·
All winchester/olin isn't created equal. Some is really good and clean, some ain't.

I find Wwb is some of the most consistently "dirty" ammo I've ever used. I won't shoot it anymore in my keltec p32. Years ago they changed the bullet shape, and made it a flat nose shape, shortening the round length. so when shooting the cartridges would bang around and the rims would catch behind the one under it and jam up the pistol like I have never seen before. To add insult to injury it would blow out unburned powder all over the place. A true mess.

I had a heck of a time getting olin to admit a problem....they finally took the boxes back and admitted they weren't "perfect"....well better to say they sent me some gift certificates......after they got it back and tested it....they stopped denying it was problematic.

Long story point is wwb is dirty, messy, and don't work in my p32.;)

#6 ·
Hiya jhb :)

So, whataya find that's better $/round, store-bought?

Wulf <-- :popcorn:

pmc, sellier bellot, fiocchi, even rem umc...has worked well in my p32....not saying it's the cleanest out there....but doesn't jam up my p32 and doesn't make a powder mess. let the hammering on those brands being awful and dirty compared to wwb in .32acp begin......:thumbsup:

#7 · (Edited)
I had a similar issue with a case of Remy 12ga Magnum turkey shells, except the shells weren't crimped well enough and the powder would sprinkle out if up-ended. They were like damn salt n pepper shakers, but back to my post;
The amount of powder residue was really surprising, IF I use it again ill post up some pics.
I'm fine with other Win ammo, but I think I'll avoid the SXZ training rounds.

#8 ·
i like the S&B the most. CCI Blazer is good too. But i really dont care how the gun looks, as long as a big cloud of smoke doesnt plum from the barrel on every shot. The gun i can clean, my lungs not so much.......:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.