Difficulty Removing Take-Down Lever

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Syntax360, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I've taken my M9A1 apart a few times with no difficulties, but she is fighting me this time for some reason. I pulled off the slide and line up the lever with the mark on the frame and the lever feels comes out a mm or two and then gets stuck. I first thought it was just being stubborn, but I've tried gently prying it with a screwdriver with no results. I'm not looking to muscle the thing...

Anyone have any suggestions? This thing is starting to drive me crazy! :x :evil:

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

screw driver or hex tool to the inside of the frame. align the lever edge with the line. push it out gently. on the right side rotate the lever left and right.

lever hooks with slide stop spring. its tricky at times. third hand helps too.

3. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Also I notice the take down lever comes out when lined up a degree or two past the take down alignment line. Just wiggle it a little and pull.
    _______
    mugdava

4. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

It feels like there is something hanging it up - I might just wait until tomorrow to use a brass punch to push at it from the other side at work - I'm afraid of scratching the frame with the screwdriver approach. :?

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i let it hang straight down. then i pull out as i rotate it up to the line. pops out everytime and no fear of scratching.

hope this helps.

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Success! I loaded a small brass jag onto the 'ol cleaning rod and the stupid thing came out with a couple taps of the hammer. Thanks for the input guys - always good to know we have a place to get answers ASAP in a time of need. :D

7. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

take out the metal frame and check your slide stop spring.
    I have never had to use a hammer.

8. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The spring is fine :?:. I just barely had to tap it to get it to come out. I probably could have used the back of a screw driver to tap the rod to get it to come out - I don't know why it was so reluctant to come out when tugging on the other side...

Needless to say, I'm cleaning the bejesus outta everything. Again. My stupid magazine release keeps trying to rust. I'm going to bake all the metal in Militec-1 and then throw on a coat of Eezox and let it all sit for a week or so while I'm waiting on my new toys.

9. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Syntax!

have You been using Militec-1 long, that stuff is the shizzle! Saturate all metal and put 50-100 rather rapidly fired rounds through the firearm in question, as to heat it up so the Militec penetrates the metal. A friend who had served in Iraq swears by it and let me try some and I'm hooked. I'm also on a M-Pro 7 Bore Gel kick, that stuff rocks too! Bore Gel cleans when others run for cover, accept no substitute.
    _______
    mugdava

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I've been using both for awhile now - great stuff. I use MP7 for all my cleaning needs and usually Militec the barrel and Eezox everything else. Firing off rounds after cleaning isn't an option for me, so I bake the hard parts at 180 degrees for 20 minutes in a toaster oven :twisted:. Works REALLY well.