Differences btwn M40 and new M40A-1 ?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by daddySEAL, May 4, 2007.

1. daddySEAL

daddySEAL New Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm new here and just got a new M40A-1 yesterday.
    (UNbelievably easy and quick to field strip!!)

I actually wanted to get the M40, I liked it's looks and "grip groove" better.

But besides that, and not having proprietory rails, what differences were made when they created the M40A-1 from the M40, please?

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

No manual safety
    Non-prop rail
    Different grip design/texture
    Add: Of couse the extractor design (although that may have been evolving thru the M Series run)
    I think most of the parts are the same (prefer the M over the A1 myself)

3. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Why is that?

4. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

The M has a bit lower barrel axis. I think the ergonomics of the A1 are better for my hand than a stock M, the "hump" is reasonably rounded and it has built in finger grooves. I modified my M40 to fit my hand; on some days, the M is a touch better than the A1, other days it seems 50-50. Both are adequate. The M rail is impossible to match w/o custom work, though it doesn't affect me. The A1 has a Weaver rail, which of necessity extends that part of the receiver downwards, changing the holster profile for many holsters.

I like the trigger finger safety on the M series, but it is not necessary for a CCW, the way it might be for a uniformed cop.

5. SELFDEFENSE

posterboy:
    The prime reason is that I think the safety is the best design I have ever seen. I can draw and shoot the pistol while knocking off the safety as part of the trigger pull.
    I do not put lights on my guns, so the rail doesn't mean anything to me. And the A1 rail seems bigger and clunkier.
    The grip on the M is slippery, but a couple of cents worth of skateboard tape took care of that nicely. And after the tape job, the M grip is more continuous without the ridge line of the A1 running thru it.
    I have heard the bore axis is a smidge lower, but I'm not sure if that is true or significantly different.
    And the smoother lines of the M just look better to me (although that is not anything substantive).
    And since I got the M alittle before the A1 hit the streets I was able to get it for $300 even :D

6. daddySEAL

daddySEAL New Member

Thanks guys,
    I too would have preferred the M40, but had to settle for the M40A-1, since it was the only one produced/imported now.

I could have worked around the rail(making and accessory notched to fit it), and I liked the lower bore axis and more streamilined look, and deep grooved hand grip.

Of what significance is an unsupported barrel(as the difference in the MA-1 fro the M)?

7. SELFDEFENSE

"Of what significance is an unsupported barrel..."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    In 9mm, nothing. In .40, next to nothing (even though there is a lot of palaver about unsupported Glock .40 KBs).

8. madecov

madecov Active Member

The A1 has an equally low bore axis, the rail is lower on the A1 frame than the M

In effect they lowered the dust cover without raising the trigger or bore axis.

I've owned both and prefer the A1.

9. daddySEAL

daddySEAL New Member

10. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I'm with SELFDEFENSE on desirability of the manual safety of the M. It's actually quite an ingenious design that allows for quick operation. Unfortunately the Steyr lawyers don't like the design. Give me the M manual saftey on an A1 and I would be one happy camper.

As lights aren't important to me I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite between the M and MA1. I guess if forced to shoose I'd give the nod to the MA1 as I prefer the egronomics of the grip.

Buzz

11. SELFDEFENSE

12. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

+1