difference btwn SBS and SSG rifles

Discussion in 'Other Rifles' started by lobster, Oct 27, 2007.

1. lobster

lobster New Member

Hello I'm new here . I'm interested in aquiring a Tactical , portable rifle that will be accurate out to 800 -- to 1000 yds. I've been trying to do my home work on the web to understand the diffences btwn the steyr rifles. What is the difference btwn SBS and SSG rifles?

2. lobster

lobster New Member

Is there no one out there that can tell me rthe difference btwn these two models. ? This is the steyr club right ?

3. olli9022

olli9022 Steyr Mannlicher Representative

SSG is german for Scharf Schützen Gewehr ( which means sniping rifle ).
    STEYR MANNLICHER manufactures different types of SSG (sniping rifles). The older SSG69 (mean green gun) is the mother of
    all sniping rifles; this rifle is now the only model in production with a rear locking system. All other bolt actions of STEYR MANNLICHER
    now come with the SBS (safe bolt system). The SBS means, you have a safety bushing in the chamber, which seals and protects the
    shooter, even if a rifle blows up. Furthermore you have the three position safety included. All newer SSGs (sniping rifles) since 1996 have the
    SBS system (like the SSG04...); and so have all other bolt actions of STEYR MANNLICHER (hunting rifles).
    So SSG is just a type of weapon and SBS is a concept of locking a bolt action rifle.

All the best

4. feinc

feinc New Member

5. lobster

lobster New Member

Thank you for the reply, Very informative and educating . That is what I was looking for. Thanks again for the reply. And also the link