DFW: Whiskey! (Next Get Together)

Discussion in 'Texas' started by JaegerWulf, Dec 23, 2008.

1. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf Premium Member

I know it's early, as we just concluded our last get together. But I wanted to get some information out. I figured we wouldn't worry about going to the range this time, as it will give us a chance to save some money. Figured we could get together and talk. Whiskey and Firearms happen to be two of my favorite subjects (falling closely behind women!). Trinity Hall Irish Pub ( www.trinityhall.tv ) is a wonderful place to sit, drink, and talk. It's located at Mockingbird Station (Mockingbird Ln and 75 -Central-).

They have the greatest beer selection short of The Flying Saucer and the widest selection of Whiskey (Canadian and Scotch Whisky, and Kentucky / Tennessee Bourbons, etc.) in the Dallas / Fort Worth area.

The second Tuesday of every month they have a Whiskey tasting. Usually its a flight of Scotch (I went to a McAllen tasting that had 6 different McCallens, on up to the 20 yr and beyond!). If you reserve a spot it only costs 25 dollars! (35 dollars for a walk in if there is space). The evening lasts a bit and they usually have a representative come in and discuss the scotch while you drink it. Everyone gets pretty happy at the end of the night, needless to say.

I sent an email to Marius Donnelly, the proprietor, letting him know how much I loved the place and my intentions to bring you guys over. He said he looked forward to all you stopping by.

Check out the website (its a jumbled mess, but has good information in it) and let me know what you guys think.

Do you guys want to shoot for the January tasting, or wait until February or beyond? I'm not sure what the whiskey schedule is just yet, but I'll post it once it's on their website.

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Son-of-a-Beyatch.....

If you guys aren't trying your darndest to get me back to Dallas, I couldn't tell it....

That place sounds like a blast!!

If I sent a letter like that here in Hippieville I can assure you they would not be so kind knowing we were gun nuts.....

Talisker, eh?

I'm gonna have to find me some of that...

I have done wine tastings, but a whiskey tasting sounds like much more fun!

Y'all have fun and I will try to avoid your posts boasting about how great life is in Dallas!

Merry Christmas to all!

3. JaegerWulf

I keep putting these things together with plenty of time for you to schedule a trip down :) Hahaha!

Talisker is damned good, but it can be harsh. It has a very strong, peppery smokey flavor. Peat with iodine. Very nice! That's the 10 yr. The 18 year is more robust and gentle (if gentle could be used to describe Talisker) - it has more of a vanilla and spice flavor to it. (more info here: http://drwhisky.blogspot.com/search/label/talisker )

A whiskey tasting is great! For the McAllen tasting, they had a flight of 6 different pours of Mcallen, different years and different casks. They take you through each one, one by one. Have you add water and you discuss what you taste. Between each drink, you wait a bit, talk, eat, drink some stuff on the side (usually order more of what you just drank) and then go on to the next one.

Damned fun!

edit: I always misspell McAllan I grew up near McAllen, TX.... oh well....

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

OK, so what year (AGE) Talisker do you prefer and why?

Shiz is pricey, I need help knowing which one to try first!

Thank You.

5. JaegerWulf

Oh, I always try the 10yrs of everything first. It's the cheapest ($50 a bottle or so, depending) and you go from there. I have only tried the 10yr and the 18yr on Talisker. I fell in love with the 10yr. The 18yr seems a bit too fancy for me :) haha :)

A bit of trivia. Johnny Walker Black Label uses Talisker as one of its main mixes. It's what gives Walker Black its smokey flavor.

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Thank You kindly.

From the reviews I read, the 18 year old sounded like what I might like best, but you never really know until you try them for yourself!

At least the 18 year olds are not under age!
    Did you chase yours with anything specific, or just the water later?

7. JaegerWulf

Oooh, I don't chase my scotch. Umm.. The way that I get to know a new scotch is to first drink it neat, no rocks, no water. Then I wait a bit, swish water in my mouth to cleanse the pallet. Then add two drops (only two drops!) to the scotch, drink it and notice the difference in taste, notes and aroma. After that, another swish of water to cleanse and then I add two more drops. Note changes. I never put in more than four drops, as the chemical change ceases and you start to get watered down at that point.

At this point I now know the full taste range of the scotch and add what drops of water I will the next time I drink it.

I usually drink most of my scotches neat. The McAllan cask strength I take with two drops of water as it makes it very spicy!

I think that answers your question. I might have misunderstood it.

8. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Excellent!

Thanks for the info!

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I take it McAllan is the Lafite Rothschild of the whiskey world?

10. JaegerWulf

Don't know anything about wine, but McAllan can be considered the middle ground of Scotch. It is a good sherry cask. Talisker tastes nothing like McAllan, and McAllan tastes nothing like Glenlivetor or Caol Ila.

Its kinda of like the Jack Daniel's of Scotch (there are many better and many worse). Bourbons tend to be linear, whereas Scotches run the gauntlet of tastes. McAllan is a good place to start and their sherry casks are wonderful.

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Sounds good - I say we shoot for January, unless any of you guys need to put it off for another month...

12. JaegerWulf

Alright, once the list is posted, I'll put it up here.

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

*bump* Are we doing this thing or what? :D

14. JaegerWulf

yeah, we're doing it! I just want to be able to give everyone a two week head's up.

They're having one next Tuesday (Jan 13th), but I figured that was not enough time to let everyone know.

But I'm up for it :) Thing is, I don't know if there are any seats available. I guess I could email and ask.

I figured we would push for the one in February. But, if guys want to do one next week, I'm all for it. We would have to email and make reservations.

Here's the link: http://www.trinityhall.tv/Tasting.htm

15. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

16. JaegerWulf

Heh, I figured :) Once they get the list out, I'll post it. It should be the second Tuesday (Feb 10). I'll post on here and PM everyone once I confirm it.

17. michaelmew

michaelmew Premium Member

jw, any news on when this is happening? my feb calendar is filling up

18. JaegerWulf

I haven't verified it with the proprietor yet (will do so in the next couple of days). But the Tasting should be this next Febuary the 10th. I don't know what will be served, but it will be Whiskey (and that's good enough for me).

Let's go ahead and start planning to meet at Trinity Hall in Dallas (of Mockingbird and Central / 75) on the 10th. It typically starts at 7:30 pm (1930) and goes on until 9:30 pm (2130). The cost is 25 dollars with a reservation (35 dollars at the door if there are seats available). In order to reserve a spot call 214-887-3600 or email [email protected]

I'll send out PMs with the info once I confirm the time and the tasting. I'll leave it up to you guys to reserve a spot for yourselves. Let them know that you are apart of the DFW Steyr Club incase there are seating arrangements (don't remember there being, but just in case).

19. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Who's planning on attending? I'm definitely going to be there :cool:

20. michaelmew

michaelmew Premium Member

+1
    what about our wives/girlfriends? I don't think mine will go unless there are going to be others going