DFW Christmas Range trips

Discussion in 'Texas' started by JaegerWulf, Dec 2, 2008.

1. JaegerWulf

JaegerWulf Premium Member

Syntax, that's a good thing!

JaegerWulf and wife = 2
    Syntax = 1
    ETH and wife = 2
    vxskaxv and wife = 2
    michaelmew and friend = 2

friends of vxskaxv = 3
    friends of Jaegerwulf = 2 (maybe)
    friends of syntax = 1 - 5 (maybe)

Total so far = 12 - 19 (maybe)

You should bring that girl that you have modeling your silenced m9a1 as well :) That'll bring up the base total to a solid 10.

As we're getting closer to the weekend, I want to start solidifying plans.

Let's hit the range at around 1 pm (Garland outdoor range, link in Original Post). I figure we could also all go to a local IHOP at around 10 for brunch. That would let us be able to sit and meet each other, talk, etc. and would let us do so before the Sunday church rush. I can call up there and let them know we're all coming so that they can expect us. Shouldn't be a big deal though; they're used to large groups. Figure we could go to the one at:

1313 W Centerville Rd
    Garland, TX 75041

Get Directions
    (972) 613-7800

What do you guys think? I'll send out PMs next week to exchange contact info and verify who's coming. I think we can call and make reservations at the range as well. The place has plenty of rifle benches and a good chunk of pistol benches as well. If we get too crowded, we can just swap out positions. Once you buy a day pass, you have all day to shoot. No sense in rushing it and I think we'll all be able to shoot.

Plus, Syntax, its high time we established a legitimate DFW Area Steyr Club. And for proper clubs, you need meet ups! This is a good thing! :)

Edit: Babj... still room for you man! :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

No redhead - I had to shut that one down for good about a month ago... I could be bringing as few as 1 or as many as 5 local Steyroids... Just depends on what everyone has going on that day...

I hope it's a big range...

3. vxskaxv

vxskaxv Guest

It's me and wife + 3 guests

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Thanks 4 keeping me in the loop JW!!!

No Waffle House fans?

I have eaten at that IHOP many times, but I sure do miss the Waffle House....

Even if I did spend a crazy amount of $$ to fly into DFW for the weekend, I surely would have trouble transporting the 'goods'.....

Sure would be fun though....

I hope someone takes a camera... Full range report is a must!

:D:D

5. vxskaxv

vxskaxv Guest

I'm pumped for this. :D

6. JaegerWulf

K, updated the number count. Sheesh! 12-19. Perhaps we need a bigger place to eat than IHOP. I'll look around.

babj, I understand. I know you can travel with firearms through airliners relatively easy, but I haven't done it yet myself. But the actual act of hauling all the material would be interesting, I'll give you that.

Syntax, yeah, its actually a fairly good sized outdoor range. Part of the reason why I picked it. If there aren't enough spaces, as I said, we'll just swap out. It has plenty of grass behind the booths to hang around and talk.

vxskaxv, I'm pumped too! :) Hehehe. In any case, as I said, I'll send out PMs next week and get contact info, distribute out directions, etc.

If anyone wants to eat anywhere else (perhaps a place that has support for a large crowd, though IHOP still should be able to handle it... might just have to seperate into different tables, though), let me know.

Edit: Babj: Will be taking a camera, don't worry.

7. michaelmew

michaelmew Premium Member

my wife was debating whether to go or not. i think ihop sealed it for her. put me down for + wife + friend.
    should we get a list of what everyone is considering bringing? and, how do we split the ammo costs for the expensive stuff?

8. vxskaxv

vxskaxv Guest

Why would we split ammo costs?

I would assume everyone is bringing their own ammo. I know I am.

9. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Definitely enough of you to start your own local SC chapter!!

Y'all are doin this on a Sunday, close to about the same time churchs are getting out and all the IHOPs are filling up with hungry people?

Might want to get a confirmed reservations somewhere, and maybe meet for breakfast a little bit earlier...

Just an observation folks.

I am so envious.

And yes, JW, transporting one firearm is trouble enough - actually taking along several small arms as well as several black rifles would probably earn me some special private time with TSA officials....

Fun Fun!!

:D

10. vxskaxv

vxskaxv Guest

Yummy....I love's me some private time with the TSA folks. Always good times.

11. michaelmew

i know syntax mentioned he didnt have much ammo to bring. i'm just saying if we know what we are bringing we can grab some ammo ahead of time.
    i'm not sure how to say this w/o sounding cheap, but it's not as cheap to supply a bunch of 357sig as it used to be.

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I'd second the notion to buck IHOP - it'll be a zoo. I'm not very familiar with Garland, so I really can't be much help I'm afraid...

I listed the calibers I'm bringing - anyone is welcome to shoot anything I have (as much as they want) if they want to feed it...

No reason to worry about "sounding cheap", michaelmew - this is SteyrClub, not HKPRO :p :D

13. JaegerWulf

Good points on IHOP. We can meet earlier at 9, if you guys want to get an even bigger headstart. Or we can meet somewhere else. I'll be talking with friends and getting some ideas here in a couple of days.

michaelmew, I know your wife was set on IHOP... any other place she'd like to go? I honestly think any place on a Sunday afternoon will be packed after church gets out. I think as long as we get to IHOP (or any other place) early enough, we'll be fine. I figured 10 am was early enough, but we can push it to 9 or 9:30. Up to you guys.

So far as ammo is concerned, the way my friends and I do it, and the way it looks like it will work here is we can shoot each others pistols / rifles all we want, just bring your own ammo for it. Since I NEED to shoot that MSAR, I'll be going out and getting some .223 for it. Word of politeness: If you're shooting someone elses rifle, don't get extreme cheap stuff like Wolf. I'll be getting whatever cheap Winchester brand .223 is out there, good enough for plinking and healthy enough to put through a good firearm.

If you are going to be letting others fire your weapon and have a minimum requirement on what kind of ammo goes through it, let us know.

14. JaegerWulf

If buying a box of ammo for yourself is too expensive (and I might be in the same boat here). Just post up what you want to fire. One of us will buy it, and split the ammo / cost with others who want to shoot. Just bring cash in small bills and we can exchange what we have out there.

So far, what do we have concerning calibers?
    Steyr MA1s, other pistols, etc.:
    9mm
    40 cal

MSAR and AR-15:

Are we bringing an AK?
    7.62x39 (don't know the civilian, can AKs shoot .308? no) Edited by Syntax360

Random extra goodness from Syntax:
    .380, .38spl, .45, 12 guage, .308/7.62x51

I'm going to be bringing some 9mm. If someone wants to go in with me and split the cost of a box of .223, let me know. I would also like to take a couple shots for the other stuff, but don't know if I want to get as much as a half of box. I think I'll just bring cash and if I "steal" a mag or load of ammo for a pistol, I'll just pay off the person there :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2008
  15. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Buy Ammo?

What, you guys aren't all ready sitting on huge stockpiles of ammo?

If not, you are poorly equipped for the next American Revolution!

~20K rounds of ammo in my stash...

I'm ready....

:D:D

16. JaegerWulf

Just make a roadtrip, Babj :)

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

And you were crying about checking weapons for the flight? I'd like to see you transport all of that! :p

My AR eats Wolf no problem and the PTR will eat Barnual or other cheapies from Academy, though I do think I'm going to have to restrict the MSAR to brass. :)

18. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Exactly what I was saying.... Just asking for trouble, wouldn't I be?

Awwweee..... So Cute!!!!

Gonna bring an extra diaper and baby wipes for the MSAR?

;):D

19. michaelmew

i think you've already listed all my calibers. does anyone have a 10mm? I've always wanted to shoot one. I'll pick up a box this weekend if someone can bring one

20. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Boy, I wish I was going to be there. My better half won't go that close to Christmas. I understand, but the wonderful opportunity... :(