Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a damned good idea! I'll start getting things more together after the 15th. I have a friend of mine that has a Glock and a very nice AR15. It will be fun to shoot those next to the Steyr variants.

· Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the 15th is when I'm heading out to Dallas. It will be a hectic day. That weekend is good. It costs 10 dollars to become a member at the range and 10 dollars to shoot all day. We could make an afternoon out of it and not have to worry about how long we were out there. So yeah, the 21st looks to be the best day. Bring all the weapons you have, no sense in keeping any at home :) Heheh, All I can bring out is my m9a1, but I'll bring the friend with the AR and the glock for comparison. My wife will most certainly want to come. She loves you guys and loves firearms. Wish we could get a Walther PPS for her to shoot. If you guys know anyone that has one.

· Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm bringing mine. I don't have a choice. She finds out I'm playing without her and she'll get mighty ornery...

I'm figuring we can meet up for Brunch or Lunch and head out to the range early afternoon. That'll give us a chance to talk and hang out. Head over to Garland, pay our 10 dollars (if have membership, 20 otherwise) and leisurely shoot all day. They close at 8 pm.

· Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Syntax, that's a good thing!

JaegerWulf and wife = 2
Syntax = 1
ETH and wife = 2
vxskaxv and wife = 2
michaelmew and friend = 2

friends of vxskaxv = 3
friends of Jaegerwulf = 2 (maybe)
friends of syntax = 1 - 5 (maybe)

Total so far = 12 - 19 (maybe)

You should bring that girl that you have modeling your silenced m9a1 as well :) That'll bring up the base total to a solid 10.

As we're getting closer to the weekend, I want to start solidifying plans.

Let's hit the range at around 1 pm (Garland outdoor range, link in Original Post). I figure we could also all go to a local IHOP at around 10 for brunch. That would let us be able to sit and meet each other, talk, etc. and would let us do so before the Sunday church rush. I can call up there and let them know we're all coming so that they can expect us. Shouldn't be a big deal though; they're used to large groups. Figure we could go to the one at:

1313 W Centerville Rd
Garland, TX 75041

Get Directions
(972) 613-7800

What do you guys think? I'll send out PMs next week to exchange contact info and verify who's coming. I think we can call and make reservations at the range as well. The place has plenty of rifle benches and a good chunk of pistol benches as well. If we get too crowded, we can just swap out positions. Once you buy a day pass, you have all day to shoot. No sense in rushing it and I think we'll all be able to shoot.

Plus, Syntax, its high time we established a legitimate DFW Area Steyr Club. And for proper clubs, you need meet ups! This is a good thing! :)

Edit: Babj... still room for you man! :)

· Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
K, updated the number count. Sheesh! 12-19. Perhaps we need a bigger place to eat than IHOP. I'll look around.

babj, I understand. I know you can travel with firearms through airliners relatively easy, but I haven't done it yet myself. But the actual act of hauling all the material would be interesting, I'll give you that.

Syntax, yeah, its actually a fairly good sized outdoor range. Part of the reason why I picked it. If there aren't enough spaces, as I said, we'll just swap out. It has plenty of grass behind the booths to hang around and talk.

vxskaxv, I'm pumped too! :) Hehehe. In any case, as I said, I'll send out PMs next week and get contact info, distribute out directions, etc.

If anyone wants to eat anywhere else (perhaps a place that has support for a large crowd, though IHOP still should be able to handle it... might just have to seperate into different tables, though), let me know.

Edit: Babj: Will be taking a camera, don't worry.

· Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Good points on IHOP. We can meet earlier at 9, if you guys want to get an even bigger headstart. Or we can meet somewhere else. I'll be talking with friends and getting some ideas here in a couple of days.

michaelmew, I know your wife was set on IHOP... any other place she'd like to go? I honestly think any place on a Sunday afternoon will be packed after church gets out. I think as long as we get to IHOP (or any other place) early enough, we'll be fine. I figured 10 am was early enough, but we can push it to 9 or 9:30. Up to you guys.

So far as ammo is concerned, the way my friends and I do it, and the way it looks like it will work here is we can shoot each others pistols / rifles all we want, just bring your own ammo for it. Since I NEED to shoot that MSAR, I'll be going out and getting some .223 for it. Word of politeness: If you're shooting someone elses rifle, don't get extreme cheap stuff like Wolf. I'll be getting whatever cheap Winchester brand .223 is out there, good enough for plinking and healthy enough to put through a good firearm.

If you are going to be letting others fire your weapon and have a minimum requirement on what kind of ammo goes through it, let us know.

· Premium Member
458 Posts
If buying a box of ammo for yourself is too expensive (and I might be in the same boat here). Just post up what you want to fire. One of us will buy it, and split the ammo / cost with others who want to shoot. Just bring cash in small bills and we can exchange what we have out there.

So far, what do we have concerning calibers?
Steyr MA1s, other pistols, etc.:
9mm
40 cal

MSAR and AR-15:

Are we bringing an AK?
7.62x39 (don't know the civilian, can AKs shoot .308? no) Edited by Syntax360

Random extra goodness from Syntax:
.380, .38spl, .45, 12 guage, .308/7.62x51

I'm going to be bringing some 9mm. If someone wants to go in with me and split the cost of a box of .223, let me know. I would also like to take a couple shots for the other stuff, but don't know if I want to get as much as a half of box. I think I'll just bring cash and if I "steal" a mag or load of ammo for a pistol, I'll just pay off the person there :)

· Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Sucks, ETH, but oh well. As Syntax says, we'll see how this first range trip goes. If it works out well, we'll have others. You can always come up during a non-hectic week.

Concerning subversion, I think its fine. But we first have to establish ourselves and our unity. We need to draft an oath that we all take (with our BLOOD!) and then make preparations to usurp the main positions within DTAS. Patience and dedication, my brothers, and our Will will be met.

· Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yeah, Sunday is fine.

Okay, so we're set for Sunday the 21st.

I figure if we meet to eat at 9:30 or 10am, we'll beat the Sunday crowd.

Okay, we have an adamant no for IHOP. Any other ideas? I know of the "Original Pancake House" which is damned good, but a bit on the expensive side. What ideas do you all have for eating?

I figure once we finish eating, we can head over to the range. The range opens at 10am and closes at 8pm. We will probably finish eating by 12 (this gives us 2 hours to eat and talk) and head over to the range by 12:30. We'll have as long as we want to shoot.

Ok, so range location and time is set (within 30 minutes). Issue now is location to eat (time is set to avoid church crowd. We can go earlier if you guys want).

· Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Sorry about that! Haven't seen the wife in a while and, uh... got sidetracked.... In any case! The range is still a go. I'll be sending out a PM to each of you verifying information and giving you my phone number. Let me know if there are any changes. We currently have a reservation at IHOP for 16 at 10am this sunday. The address and phone number is below.

We'll meet up at IHOP, eat and talk, etc, and leave to the shooting range afterwards. I have three hours scheduled from the start time of eating to the start time of shooting. This will give us plenty of leeway time for getting lost, making an ammo run to walmart, hitting on hot waitresses (I've requested a pretty one...), etc.

Let me know if anyone has questions. If anyone else wants to join us, the location is posted below. Send me a PM and I'll see if I can update the reservation. No promises, however. (still no reason why you can't come join us, just might have to make an adventure out of it!)

================

Here's the count:

JW, wife, friends(2) = 4
syntax, silverx0ne, fnewendaiku and friend = 4
vxskaxv, wife, friends(3) = 5
michaelmew, wife and friend(1) = 3

Total: 16

----

Weather for the Sunday, Dec 21st:

Sunny / Wind
High 41°F 45 °F
Low 24°F
Precip: 0%

Wind: N at 20 mph NNE 15 mph
UV Index: 3 Moderate
Humidity: 36% 33%

Sunrise: 7:26 AM
Sunset: 5:25 PM

Sunny and wind. Highs in the mid 40s and lows in the mid 20s.

----

Locations:

IHOP
1313 W Centerville Rd
Garland, TX 75041
Get Directions
(972) 613-7800
http://ihop.know-where.com/ihop/cgi/site?site=01404&address=

Garland Public Shooting Range
2606 Pleasant Valley Road Garland, Texas 75040
(972) 495-5330
http://www.eaglepeakshootingrange.com/gpsr/map.html

----

Schedule:

Meet on Sunday, Dec 21st
At 10:00 am (1000) at IHOP
At 1:00 pm (1300) at Garland Public Shooting Range

----

Items to bring:

Guns
Ammo
Hearing Protection (req by range, can rent)
Eye Protection (req by range, can rent, prescription eyeglasses are fine)
Proper clothing (High - 41 degrees F)
Water (Hydration is paramount! You can still dehydrate on a cold day!)

Money:
Money for meal at IHOP
$10 for lifetime membership to range
$10 for range fee (all day pass)

Spare Small Bills for:
exchange of ammo with steyrclub members
emergency, oh I've got to have it, items

=========

Think that covers it. I'll send out PMs in a moment. Let me know if I missed anything.

· Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Oh, good news about IHOP. I called in to make a reservation and they didn't have any reservations at all. Now, mind you, it's only Wednesday, but still a good thing :) 10 am should beat the Sunday rush. I'm going to get there a little bit earlier to physically get the seats.

· Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
So I ought to be bringing two plus me - what does that leave our headcount @?

It seems I'm bringing 3
two plus me = 3 (not two, including me....) Anyways, are you only bringing yourself and one other person? If so, that's fine. Won't have to change reservation. Sorry for the misunderstanding :) But! That is why we are handling it so far ahead of time. That extra person will give Babj the chance to still come down! Or ETH if he wants to leave his wife behind... which I don't imagine he would... hmm...

Oh, and I do intend to bring a camera. Shouldn't stop others from bringing their own though. We'll put up an album here for all to see afterwards.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.