Desert Eagle?

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Buzz, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Back in the late Eighties I had the pleasure of owning a .357 magnum Desert Eagle, a Mark I, I believe. It was an incredibly fun gun to shoot and dead accurate. I bought the gun used for a song, and restored it, selling it for almost twice what I paid for it. Despite the tidy little profit I have always regretted selling it. So, I have been eyeing a used .44 magnum DE in very nice condition that has been sitting in my local shop for months. It looks to be a Mark VII. While I would prefer the .357 magnum, I can certainly live with a .44. Yesterday I called the shop to see if it was still there. It was. In an hour's time I will go to the shop and if the gun is still there, and looks good after a fullinspection with my borelight, I will buy it.

Any other Desert Eagle owners here? Photos?

Buzz

2. mrboma

mrboma Member

Buzz,
    There is a nice .357 DE at my local shop. Been there for months. I will see if I can snap a pic and get the price for you.
    Hopefully headed out there today.
    Mike

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Well, I headed to my shop and the .44 mag Desert Eagle is mine. It's a Mark VII as I recalled and the condition couldn't be better. There is very little evidence of it having been fired. Intenrally it's pristine and any cosmetic wear is limited to what you would expect from shop wear. It came complete with a Desert Eagle case and two mags as well as a spare set of factory grips They threw in the case and spare grips as that wasn't part of the original package. Photos will follow. This is like buying a new gun. I'm thinking maybe a Zero Haliburton style case may be in order.

Buzz

4. mrboma

mrboma Member

Congrats Buzz!
    Care to divulge how much ya paid?
    Lunch, then range trip.
    Mike

5. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Welcome to the Club, Buzz!!!!!

I have the DE in .50AE, matte black finish with a Hogue Rubber grip [two styles - I have the one with finger grips]...

Eventually, I hope to collect a few more barrels for my precious, in .44 Magnum and 357 Magnum..... way back when they also made .410 barrels, but long out of production...

Biggest problem [for me] is they offer these in so many attractive finishes... I especially like the satin nickel and matte chrome, so I may just purchase complete pistol for the other calibers anyway...

What I enjoy most about the DE is "wow" factor.... which you'll likely encounter nearly every time you take it to the range... My .50AE seems to draw a crowd... everyone wants to see it, hold it, and few have the guts to fire it....

I also appreciate its "intimidation" factor as well... Not that anyone wants to get shot by ANY gun, but when faced with the business end of the DE .50AE, a would-be bad guy might crap his pants!!!

Yes, I have a carry rig for mine...

:wink: :wink: :wink:

p.s. stay away from the aftermarket magazines for these...

6. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Hey Guys. Thanks for the comments. Good to know about that aftermarket mags. The shop has them for $39, but I'll look at CDNN as I need to get some for my Baby Eagle.

I paid $899 for it. My goal was to come in under a grand. I had looked at Gunbroker and it was right in the ballpark. It's in such nice shape that I'm happy with the price. With the case, extra grip (and a box of ammo) thrown in, I can live with it. At this shop I never dicker on price. They have the best prices around here so I've never asked for a break. I've never heard anyone else ask for one either.

Having this gun back feels really good. Of the handguns that I've sold the ones that I missed most were my GB, my Sig 220, my HK P9S, and the DE. I now have replaced three out of four.

Buzz

7. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Congrats again, Buzz :)
    I shot a gold DE .50 AE twice and it was a hoot. The last gun I buy with my last dollar will probably be an over-the-top gold .50AE.

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I could have had a .50AE for another $100. I was tempted for a moment but decided that the .44 mag was enough for me, and more economical. Still, I'd love to shoot one.

The thing that I recall about my .357 DE was that shooting it always left me with a big grin on my face. .357 in that gun is no big deal, but the whole experience was just so darned much fun. After I bought an early one back in 87 I guess it sort of bothered me what the gun became in Hollywood, but there is that "cool factor", there's no denying that. I had a lot of fun having it out to clean when a certain gun hating relative of mine visited.

The real bottom line with this gun is that it is an incredibly good shooter, at least the .357 I had was. I could shoot groups that you'd expect to see with a rifle, and the recoil was no big deal at all. Really, based on the engineering the gun is more of a rifle than a pistol. Hopefully the .44 will be the same or better. I suspect that I'll add a longer barrel (or a 41 mag barrel) to see what this gun can do a little further out.

Photos will follow when the sun is up a bit more. I'm really amazed at the condition of this gun. I hope to be able to determine it's age.

Buzz

9. mrboma

mrboma Member

Soooo jealous.
    Great find Buzz,
    Mike

10. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I also found three factory new .41 magnum DE magazines for $15 each sold as for the .44 and/or .41. I spoke to Magnum Research and they said that using the .41 magazine in the .44 could cause some malfunctions. I spoke with the seller, a reputable guy, who says that guys use the .41 in the .44 without any problems, with only one return in hundreds sold. As the mags can be returned and this isn't a self-defense gun I rolled the dice. Anyone have any experience with this issue or ever hear anything about it?

Buzz

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

For anyone else looking for a SMOKIN deal on a DE 50 AE,

look no further.

12. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't shooting a .41 magnum in a .44 magnum chamber leave about .03"-worth of chamber for the round to bounce around in? Even if the magazines work, doesn't sound like a good idea to me. But what I know about .44 mag and .41 mag would easily fit into a thimble with plenty of room left for your thumb. :mrgreen:

As Ricky used to say to Lucy, somebody 'splain this to me. :?:

13. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Hey Net, I'm not talking about shooting .41 rounds from a .44, only using a .41 magazine to hold .44 rounds to shoot .44 from a .44.

Buzz

14. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Just to answer the question of interchangability of the .41 and .44 mags, they are virtually identical. A re-design of the mags in the 90's gives the appearance of a difference, but since the .41 was discontinued I don't think they got the updating. Older .41 and .44 mags stamped "88" are identical with a .44 round positioned at the same exact angle and heigth in each. When you take a .44 mage stamped "95" the change in the mag makes it look like it's different from the .41, but the position, heigth and angle of the rounds in each mag is still identical. An "88" .44 mag and a "95" .44 also look different (same difference as an old .41 and new .44) but have the same exact heigth, angle and position. All three mags are identical where it counts. Of course, the proof will be in the firing.

Some folks at the DE forum compared apples to oranges and didn't realize it was really oranges to oranges

Buzz