Demo M9

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Buzz, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

I just picked up a used M9 today from my dealer that was shipped from California. This one: http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976459955.htm Happily, the gun is in pristine condition. I was told by the seller that it was "basically untouched" and they weren't kidding. I was more than a bit nervous, nonetheless. I've always bought guns over the counter, so this was a first. At $299 I found it hard to resist.

The gun was produced in 2000 (#014XXX) and has the black semi gloss finished slide. The box is marked by Steyr as a "demo".

What exactly is a demo gun? Were all of the earlier M models with the semi gloss finish?

I really like the way that this gun feels in my hand, even more than the M-A1.

Buzz

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

early models had the semi gloss finish.
    first I have heard of demo. think its just a gun that might not be same as final product used for trade shows or dealer display.

though sometimes they do have cutout guns where you can see the parts though not useable except for demonstation of the internal workings.

do check my thread over in maintenance section.
    give the gun a good cleaning and work the mainspring and slide/frame rails. dry fire it few times. will cut down on breakin with ammo.

before 10,000 they had some issues with ejections. post a pic of the ejection port and take note of where the trigger pin is. looking at the pic looks like it has the updated trigger rest is probably good.

good buy most Steyr original M or S I see are going for $400+
    MA1's are even going for $500+ 8-O

went to buy a AR15 stripped lower today and saw a oM40 and M40A1.

3. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Thanks!

Another question. It all gets very confusing what will go with what. (someone should make a table). Could I take my M9-A1 or M40-A1 slide/barrel and put it on the older M9 frame and have a workable gun (changing magazines, of course)?

Buzz

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

dont know for sure on MA1 and oM interchangability.
    oM you can move the slide and barrels around.

best buying a new gun when slide is factored in specially if you can find another gem in $300 range.

MA1 probably interchange with each other though would be worry spec got changed somewhere between oM and MA1

5. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

I thought madecov said he swapped slide assemblies back and forth with no issues, but I could be remembering wrong, and I'm not sure if he actually fired it that way.

6. olli9022

olli9022 Steyr Mannlicher Representative

Hi there. Yes, parts are interchangeable.

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Thanks olli! These guns never fail to amaze me. I never thought that there would be another gun that impressed me as much as the GB, but my M and MA1s have accomplished that.

I see that you are from Austria. If I may be so bold as to ask, are you associated with Steyr?

Art