Davidson's S9-A1 Range Report 2/3/07

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Wulf, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hey Gang :)

I got only a couple words for my 1st S9-A1 range report, "Kickass motherfucker!" :twisted: I can't hardly contain myself. 8-O All I want from Stery is an S357-A1 to make my dreams come true. Put another way, I gotta used M357-A1 for sale for $550 with 2 15-round mags...1st come 1st serve. PM me. Nuff said. <shrug>

Wulf <-- A happy fuc*in' camper! :p

2. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

you wont gain anything with 357sig in short barrel.
    all that extra powder it needs will go unburnt.

9mm is plenty capable of sending 124/125gr bullet 1250-1300fps
    147gr 1100fps+. will have smaller charge weights and more loaded cartridges per lbs. its plenty effective with less speed too.

3. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hmmm...

Then how bout a 140 gr JHP around 1300 fps? 8-O How'd that be? I'll let ya know when I get my S357-A1 put together. I was never much of an economical reloader and always choose performance over economy. What I had planned was vN350, maybe vN340, somethin' a little slower burnin' than what I use for my M357-A1. It'll be hard weanin' myself off the Power Pistol, tho. Ya just gotta love a little hand cannon. :twisted: Course this is all a bitta speculation since first I gotta secure an S40, then I gotta get an S357 barrel for it. It'd sure be a lot easir if Steyr-Austria would just send me an S357 and let me sort it out all proper like. Worst case scenario, 125 gr JHP at 1350, near bouts. I'll shoot for 12 +1 357 SIG's. :p I just got finished doin' a 19 +1 hicap for the S9-A1. It was just onna my Sigma 40 15-round conversions with a lip tweak. Piece 'o cake. Hmmm so that makes 13 +1 in the S40 factory mag with a spring hack anda lip tweak and another 19 rounds in my back up mag. Oh well, I'll shoot a bit more manana. Hava good weekend, MrAp and thanx for the info. :)

Wulf

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

for shorter barrel you will want a fast powder for the sig.

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hmmm...

Bullseye ain't outta the picture yet, then. 8-O Come to think of it, Bullseye is the only fast burnin' powder that I experienced any extreme pressure related feedback i.e. flattened primers and extraction problems. That was with 0.357" dia 38 SPL bullets, unsized. My dilemma was that I hadda safe startin' load and as I increased my powder charge, the tighter the groups with my M357-A1. Then the taletail pessure signs reared their ugly heads. :evil: I hadda back off a bit and The signs of pressure went away, but the group opened back up. :evil: The Bullseye loads were some of the most accurate recipes I ever had for reloading the 357 SIG, but Power Pistol was just easier to work with, consistancy-wise. Never did get the chrono info on those Bullseye recipes. Hadda extrapolate and approximate usin' charts. :roll: Then, I got my Lee Bullet Resizer/Lube kit (0.356") and haven't used any 38 cal bullets again without 1st resizin' 'em to 0.356". <shrug> 8-O Perhaps its time to re-explore the Bullseye, maybe try my 4" factory M357 barrel onna new S40-A1 for sh*ts and grins. Any other suggestions, MrAp? I do value your input for the 9MM recipes. The 115 gr JHP's at about 1250-1275 seems close to the end of its performance envelope. Ya gotta any favorite 115 gr recipes with JHP's usin' Power Pistol, Bullseye, Blue Dot, Unique, HS6, Herco, Titegroup, vN340, v3N37 or vN350 ? Plz advise. What I have found that is truly interesting to me is how 200 more fps of velocity can yield what seems to me disproportional energy increases. I'm still workin' on wrappin' my mind around the ballistics data interpretation. Anyway, thanx again for the info. Hava great Superbowl Sunday. :p

Wulf

6. polik6887

polik6887 Guest

does your s9-a1 have a manual safety?

7. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Nope. 8-O Not interested in havin' another xtra safety, neither. <shrug>

Wulf <-- Thinkin', "One more safety and it might as well be kept in Sierra Club mode, at the house and in the safe!". 8-O