Dan Wesson RZ-10

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by breechplug, Jan 12, 2007.

1. breechplug

breechplug Guest

I'm thinking of making the RZ-10 my next addition to the collection, anyone have any experience with them? Thanks, Craig. 8-O

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Welcome to 10mm

I have no personal experience with DWs in general or this gun in particular, but my S&W 1076 10mm is my favorite handgun, though my M357-A1 is gaining fast on the outside rail.

The S&W 1076 was chosen by the FBI as it's new carry gun in 1990 after extensive tests found 10mm to be their best choice of upgrade from 9mm.

But when the FBI abandoned 10mm in 1995, the bottom dropped out of demand and almost all manufacturers stopped making 10mm pistols.

10mm is an awesome cartridge and I'm sure the Dan Wesson products are high quality so I don't see how you could do wrong. As far as choices in 10mm, it's probably the top of the pile. Choices are largely limited, in new guns, to Glock, DW and EAA Witness. Glocks are good quality as I'm sure you know, but from what I've read about the low-priced EAA Witness guns you get what you pay for, or maybe a little less.

Finding one of the S&W long-discontinued 10mms is a hit or miss proposition, mostly miss, but if you find one in good shape, IMHO they're on a level with DW or even a shade higher. My 1076 was almost NIB when I bought it in 2001 and is still tight as a tick and tack-driving accurate.

And the 10mm round is faster and more powerful than .45 ACP or .357 Magnum. Many manufacturer's loads are tamed down from the full capacity of the cartridge, making it just a shade above .40 S&W, the more popular round which is derived by cutting down 10mm shell casings.

Full-house loads for 10mm are fairly hard to find, but Double Tap ammo (http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php) is the gold standard. This company was founded by some guys who got tired of looking for full-house 10mm loads and got in the business of providing high-end ballistics for the 10 and a wide range of pistol rounds.

Double Tap 10mm ranges up to a 230-grain 1120fps/ 641 ft./lbs. load that I haven't been brave enough to try yet. We don't have a lot of grizzlies in my neck of the woods and I don't hunt with my 1076, though it is a popular hunting handgun for wild boar, which we do have in NC/SC.

Here's a discussion thread first on the list when I googled the RZ-10:
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/inde ... 55284.html

Good 10mm hunting :mrgreen:

3. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

DW 10mm's don't have fully supported chambers....might be a consern if you plan to reload.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

its possible to get a ramped barrel installed but need to make cuts to the frame my an experienced and very knowledgeable gunsmith.

5. breechplug

breechplug Guest

Have any suggestions on other 10's?

6. Gray_Wolf

Gray_Wolf New Member

Well Kimber makes a couple of 10mm 1911's (eclipse and stainless target II) I heard they have better chamber support than DW... EAA/Tanfoglio makes a number of guns in 10mm as well as and ther's also a Glock 20 and 29

7. breechplug

breechplug Guest

I think I'll see if I can shoot an G20 test I like the 15 rd/cap. and I've heard compacts like the G29 can't deliver the full power of a 10mm.rd.
    :D

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

9. breechplug

breechplug Guest

Looks like its a good deal, I want to shoot the G29, G20, and the Kimber! :)