/^\ Damn /^\

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by babj615, Nov 29, 2007.

1. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Well..... Had to happen sooner or later....

I finally had a Steyr fail almost completely for me tonight.

Went shooting with a friend from work, and brought along 8 or 9 pistols and a rifle for variety.....

Was my first chance to try my new M357.... and I was excited!!!!!

First of all, those dang cartridges are a bear to load by thumb!!! [Not a failure, I know... and I forgot my Mag Loader.... :oops: :oops: ]

Anyhow... Loaded 'er up.... and... Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang, Click.....

Click??? WTF???

Drop the Mag, rack the slide, eject cartridge.

Inspect Cartridge. Primer is dented. Must be a Dud.

Re-insert Magazine, Rack Slide, Pull Trigger..... Bang, Bang, Click...

Again?

Same Drill...

Out of a 12 round magazine, I had 4 failures to ignite.

Soooooo......

I WILL call Jeff at SAI tomorrow, just like we ALWAYS tell everyone else to do [ :wink: :wink: ].....

But, Dang It!!!! WTF???

Wulf?

Big T?

Anyone..... Anyone?????

2. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I am a .357 SIG shooter also so first a question....factory ammo or reloads? If factory, what brand/bullet? The fact that you got misfires with 4 out of 12 indicates an ammo problem and not a defect in your gun - assuming another brand of .357 SIG works fine -and what happened is highly unlikely if it was a good brand of ammo. 'Cause could be a variety of things associated with the manufacturing process including powder mix and seating of the primer. S&B ammo is known to cause ignition problems in some .380 guns for example. If however you experience continued failures to fire with other brands of ammo, the gun needs to be looked at.

But let me ask you another question....you said it is a new gun....was your slide returning to full battery?? It is not unusual in a new gun where parts have yet to gel for the slide to fall just short of going into full battery. The trigger will trip but there is not enough force to ignite the primer. 'Very important that you well lube the rails of your new gun and I recommend a quality grease like Brian Enos' Slide Glide Lite. Also, try a variety of .357 SIG ammo next time.

Another possibility (or a contributing factor) are the mags. I had a similar problem early on with my M9A1. Turned out the 15 round mag springs were too short. Somehow 10 round springs got installed. Check those springs. If you do a search there are actual photos posted of the various lengths and what should be installed in your particular mag.

I am sensing that what you are experiencing is a break-in issue. Let us know.

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

when was the last time you cleaned the striker channel?

is the gun in full battery?

4. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

In a new gun, I'd be very surprised if that was the cause but of course anything is possible. Even in a gun that has been shot a lot, most folks upon examining the striker channel find it cleaner than they thought. Of course if you get a lot of oil in there, it could lead to problems.

5. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya bab* :)

Its the ammo, Dude. <shrug>

Wulf

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam :shock:

WTF was I thinkin'. Dude, cause I love ya, I'll take that POS off yer hands for $300 to my FFL. Don't take a chance, Bro. It could blow up an' kill ya! :shock: Let me know ASAP. :twisted:

Wulf <-- puts himself in harms way cause he loves and wants ta protect his Bros :twisted:

7. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Well Wulf because I have come to like you so much I would not want you to get hurt I will have to go $310 + shipping to my FFL :lol:

8. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

If it was the ammo and I'm still doubtful, what kind of crap factory ammo would produce that kind of failure? :shock: Very unusual.

9. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

This is what I'm leaning towards. I don't really recall to well, but I thought this was a "LNIB" pistol...

I doubt it was the ammo - babj doesn't reload and sticks to quality stuff.

10. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

new gun may not have alot of residue from firing but it could have congealed oil or grease in the
    striker channel from sitting in storage. heard one odd case guy had a rusted up striker or channel was old post.

too much lube in channel can do it. so can being out of full battery and letting off trigger.
    wont hit primer with full force cause striker is not under full tension when sear lets go.

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Well, problem located.....

Item number 44, Firing Pin Spring Guide, is broken.

I did a field strip when I received this weapon, but nothing more, as it appeared to be in LNIB condition.

Now to determine what can cause the rear most portion of this part to break.

I noticed the stamping "R3" in the back of my firing pin/striker. Another weapon has "R5" stamped here. Anyone know what these codes mean???

Also, while snooping around, I found the LENGTH of the ejector protrusion is different in each of the three Steyrs I have apart right now [M9,M40,M357].

The parts list seems to only have ONE part number for this piece. Are they supposed to be different? or the same?

Can anyone shed some light in this area???

12. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Glad you located the source of the problem. It's a unique one. I have never head of this happening before but it just goes to show....

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Well when you buy 8, you're bound to have an oddball... :p

14. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

And THAT's an oddball. 'Gives new meaning to the adage "stuff happens." :)

15. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

/// UPDATE ///

During Slide Disassembly,

I found these in the firing pin channel....

Here is the broken firing pin guide rod.

Anyone have any clues what the little parts in the first image are???

16. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

Re: /^\ **** /^\

dude... you found those IN the firing pin channel?

they look like pieces of primers that have blown up!!! atleast that's what it seems like assuming the dent is about the same size as the firing pin.

if they are little pieces of blown up primers, that can only mean somebody was getting nutty with the reloads.

i know that some guys like to thrown a stick of dynamite in a 357 case and launch 147gr projectiles at 4,000 fps. (i'm looking at you wulf!)

but i believe that blowing the primers into itty-bitty pieces qualifies as an over-pressure situation.

i'd love to hear more about what jeff and others say.

as an aside, how 'bout that steyr!!! still at 66% firing rate with a catastrophically failed part.

17. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Re: /^\ **** /^\

Hiya BT :)

Actually, when I saw those pics, that's precisely what I thought, that those pcs looked like busted-assed primers. (Not that I would know what busted-assed primers would look like from any of my reloading practices. :roll: ) I did have one instance when I was forced to get very aggressive to get my slide fully open and after a bit of roughhousin', part of a primer fell out and the slide was fine. It was a 125 gr WWB round from Wal-Mart, as I recall. <shrug>

I would definitely be interested in what Jeff has to say about this, though. Please keep me in the loop, bab*s

Wulf

Wulf