Damaged Steyr fixed: Couple of pictures

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Tweakmeister, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Tweakmeister

Tweakmeister Guest

Cliff notes: Some early Steyr M9's suffer from a thin hardening that tends to deform the slide with suppressor use.

The solution: After a lot of correspondence, it was decided to send the Steyr slide and internals to IGB for them to inspect. After some testing, they came up with a repair to mill the damaged steel on the top of the slide, and re-harden the unit using their Plasma hardening process (much tougher than the factory Tenifer). Next, a custom barrel was machined to fit the new slide area. I'm told the gun now shoots better than factory.

I must thank user Wulf for his input on this matter - he's a great man! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

holy customer service batman!!!

a truly custom repair job? by IGB? WOW!!! and for someone in the states!!! i was expecting your location to be somewhere in austria.

this single act speaks volumes about steyr's intentions in the US. slinging gun parts over oceans and having custom mods and hardening and matching barrel.

unbelieveable.

thanks for posting.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Did the repair process set you back any $? I got the impression from BT that SAI footed the bill?

Is this just a problem with the older M's, or should I expect the same from my M9A1 over time? :?

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

do the old barrels still fit and function fine?

any cost involved?

wonder just what else IGB can do.

plasma hardening peaks my curiosity

5. Tweakmeister

Tweakmeister Guest

Steyr customer support said they could do nothing.

I went to IGB directly, and paid out of pocket ... it was more than the usual custom barrel, but cheaper than replacing the gun or buying a new slide from Steyr :lol:

The machine work they did looks superb. In speaking with several people at IGB, I could tell they took great pride in their work, and it shows. I'd love to have them do more things in the future.

The original barrels no longer fit in the sense that they are too "short" - I may use one in my S9, and will probably sell the other at some point.

When I get better lighting this weekend, I will take some better pictures (including showing what it looked like before).

6. Tweakmeister

Tweakmeister Guest

From everything that I have gathered, this appears to only be a problem with the very early Steyrs. I've owned mine since before this board was created - shot a lot of rounds through the barrel before any signs of a problem.

Lesson learned: Oil the barrel when shooting suppressed, and keep an eye on things.

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Forum member ikorman warned me about some sort of wear and tear to the slide back when I first got my Evo-9, so I apply a generous amount before shooting. Thanks for all the insight!

I'm still not sure exactly how the previous barrels come up short...? Surely the length of the slide was left unchanged? Must you use a longer than normal threaded barrel with the modified slide?

Also, it's very interesting to learn IGB has the capability and (seemingly) the will to modify slides - this could open some very interesting new doors if someone had some cash and a vision. :twisted:

8. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

think when he said short he means the hood on the barrel may not meet the slide for lockup.
    but thats just my speculation. looks that way from the pics as well. new barrel hood longer and slide ejection port looks longer.

9. Tweakmeister

Tweakmeister Guest

Yep, you got it.

The older barrels "fit" but the lock-up is different with the hood area enlarged.