CZ75 SP01 Custom range report

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Netfotoj, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Angus Hobdell don't mess around. Ordered a CZ75 SP01 Custom from his site Wednesday night and Friday morning at 10, it arrived at my local FFL. Picked it up as soon as I got off work at noon (love those early Fridays), came home just long enough to snag my range bag and off to the range.

Ain't she beautiful? But it might be a "he" as I'm thinking of naming it Angus.

[​IMG]

What's not to love? Tuned 2.5-lb. SA trigger and feels lighter, DA trigger is so smooth I don't see how Para's LDA could be any lighter or sweeter. Great balance, great looks, 19-rd. "full capacity" mags, shoots like a dream, this pistol makes me a much better shot than I was. And it's got ambi safeties! I'm a lefty, so that's a real big feature for me.

I put 150 rds. of WWB FMJs through her and 100 rds. of UMC HPs, just to see if there's any difference. Mostly fed either one OK, maybe a dozen bobbles, mostly FTXs and semi-stovepipes, a few FTFeeds and two or three FTFires. On the FTFires, all I had to do was pull the DA trigger for a second strike and every time she went Boom! The bobbles started with the first mag of FMJs and diminished as I kept shooting. By the time I got to the box of 100 HPs, there were maybe 2 or 3 FTwhatevers. A dozen out of 250 ain't bad for a start. If I'm still having problems at 500 rds., then I'll start worrying about it.

I guess even custom pistols need a bit of breaking in. I gave her a pretty good workout over about two hours and shot up all the range ammo I brought. Shoulda brought more. Will do next time.

Without further ado, the targets. Here's one of several with 38 holes in the gut, two mags. That flyer in the shoulder was pretty typical of most of my groups. One round in just about every group surprised me with that super-light SA trigger. That's a nice problem to have.

[​IMG]

And here's one of several with 38 in the head, or close enough to it.

[​IMG]

Targets are 11x17" Small Red Man B27, fired at seven yards, standing offhand, rapid fire. I tried my best to slow down a bit and aim more to evaluate accuracy with a new pistol, but this pistol just absolutely begs to be shot faster and faster. Great pistol! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ordered a Blade Tech Dropped Offset Holster from Angus and ordered four 16-rd. Mec-Gar mags from Midway just a while ago, so I should be good to go. Just gotta go shooting! I'm taking it with me to Pittsburgh for Christmas, so BigTaco can make a range report, too.

2. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

:drool: :clap: Great choice NFJ.
    CZ is top shelf and and a custom trigger job is all they need for perfection.

Can't wait for the 500 rnd report and more pics.

3. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Netfotoj!

Nice acquisition! 8)

TY for the range report and nice shootin' Tex! :wink:
    _______
    mugdava

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I guess I can go off topic on my own thread instead of posting this over in the holster forum. The Blade Tech Drop-Offset holster I ordered with my CZ75 SP01 Custom arrived today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a range holster as I can't imagine I'll be carrying this full-size 9 unless it's in a shoulder holster. It's not only long with its 4 3/4" barrel but the butt is long too for the 19-rd mags.

The SP01 is gleaming with lube as I just stripped her down and cleaned her after the first range trip. I also greased up the rails good with Brian Enos' Slide Glide Lite, so maybe that will cure her minor bobble problem. It was a new experience for me to see so much rail area to lube, being the rails are inside the frame on the CZ75 instead of outside like my other pistols. Maybe that little jar of Slide Glide won't last me a lifetime after all.

BTW, you'll also be seeing a big improvement in my photos henceforth. The holster shots above are my first with another Christmas present from me to me, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50, a 10-meg digitial camera with a razor-sharp Leica lens. My ship came in, as you can probably tell, or at least a well-loaded row boat. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

Wow! Hard to believe the second pics are from a digital. :mrgreen:

6. NicoX

NicoX New Member

good review, good gun, good holster, good camera

U have a good Christmas!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Thanks for all the kind replies fellas. I will indeed have a very Merry Christmas in Pittsburgh with my brand new granddaughter, born Nov. 2. She's a Steeler fan, obviously, and her name is Raina and she has her own website. If you're a sucker for good-looking babes, like me, check her out. http://raina.teodorski.com

I also plan to meet with BigTaco while in Pittsburgh for a range day or two so hopefully we'll have something to report about that as well. Santa has sure been blessing this ol' boy. :mrgreen:

8. NicoX

NicoX New Member

I have my first daughter.. call Valentina, she was born in 15 of August, I´m very happy being a father :)

This would be a great Christmas for me ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

9. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Net, my friend you have two items I have wanted for a while. The CZ was one of them (I bought my Para .40, 2.0 lb.match trigger) and was -| |- this close of purchasing one to customize. That is truly a gorgeous pistol. I am jealous. Come on down to Tennessee or Ohio and I would love to try it out.

I was going to ask what kind of camera you used to take great macro shots of your pistol. The shots were crisp, focused, with great lighting.

Man, what a Christmas ! I got my Para and a CED7000RF (with arm band) range timer for my Christmas. I told my wife I bought the pistol and she said "Great, I wanted to get you something you really wanted for Christmas and you bought it". She then said, She'll pay me back and that would be my Christmas present. Man I love that woman. She knows that range time is my therapy. Last week, I went to my local range and went through 550 rounds before she called me to pick up some pepsi's (kids drank them all). I told her that I was still shaking. She asked me, "Why,I thought shooting was your therapy?". I told her that after about 400 rounds my arm was getting tired and my thumb was tired of loading my high cap mags.

I guess Christmas was great for us both. I hope to meet you soon. I'm heading to California the first part of January '08 and have made plans to visit the locals there.

Take Care,
    MTS

10. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Oh yeah, I glad you put a name on your CZ :D . Congrads on the new Stealer fan. They are my second team of choice (Titans first, of course). Terry Bradshaw is a very distance cousin (very), so it was only natural that my love for the Stealers is just that.

Take Care,
    MTS

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

It's not too late for a stocking stuffer. You need a Maglula UPLULA Universal Pistol Magazine Loader for only $24.99. It will be worth twice that the first time you load a "full-capacity" mag. Works for everything, 9mm to .45 ACP and more.

[​IMG]

12. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Just got back from Pittsburgh and two trips to the range. Put another 100 rds. through my Custom SP01 on Monday and the jams continued, including with the four new Mec-Gar 16 rd. mags I got just before the trip. Emailed Angus Hobdell at his CZ Custom Shop and he didn't beat around the bush. Send it back and we'll get it fixed pronto, the man said. So I did. But I waited until BigTaco got back to Pittsburgh from his Christmas trip home to NC with his folks 'cause I knew he would want to shoot it. He did and he did. We went out Thursday evening to an indoor range and he put 100 rds. through it and loved it. Plus he had only one jam. Difference was, he didn't load the six mags, 2 CZ factory and 4 Mec-Gar, to full capacity.

Sent the pistol to Angus Friday morning with an explanation. He wrote back and said "we will take the gun out and do an extensive test fire" to figure out what's going on. If it's a mag issue, seems strange it's constant over six mags when all are loaded to capacity. But hey, what do I know? Not much. I'll give Angus time to sort it out. I'm sure he'll do it right.

Here's one of BT's targets, the famous Anthony Arms Blue Man, at 25 yards. That's BT's bony finger pointing at a group of five that linked together. A sixth round from the same group is right above the ragged hole with a "3" on the circle around it. You can call that one a "flyer" if you want, like BT did. Looks like mighty fine shooting to me, all six of them.

[​IMG]

13. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i like that CZ A LOT!!!! let me know when you're sick of it!!!

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Not gonna happen. I was prepared to start experimenting to find out how many rounds I could put in the mags before the jams occurred, because it really wasn't that bad at all. And when BT shot it without fully loading the mags, he had only one misfeed in 100 rds.

But when I wrote an email to Angus Hobdell to report the problem, he didn't beat around the bush at all, just said send it back in and he'd fix it right. So I did. Should get it back soon.

After shooting the CZ, I picked up my Llama .45 with what I had previously regarded as a very light trigger pull, maybe 3 to 4 lbs. First time I squeezed off a .45 round, it felt like the Llama trigger had suddenly had gone up to about 6 or 7 lbs. That 2.5-lb. trigger on the CZ is mighty easy to get used to. I miss it already. :cry:

15. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Got the CZ back Monday and finally got a chance today to blow a couple of 19-rd. mags through it a gun shop range while I was test firing another pistol I considered buying. Nary a hitch. Had some aluminum cans flying all over the place with 38 rds. of 9mm popping away!

Angus Hobdell and his crew do fine work. I plan to do some more shooting this weekend. :mrgreen:

16. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

that is one super nice gun. i'm glad it's 100% now.

17. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Congrats on a fine pistol! I keep hearing such good things about the SP01 that I am greatly tempted. If I didn't already have a CZ97 I'd have an SP01 by now.

Buzz

18. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I love the CZ75 so much, I'm thinking there's got to be a CZ97 in my future. If the 9mm is a great pistol, then the .45 ACP has got to be great, too. Plus, it's a twin of my 75 Custom.

[​IMG]

I think CZ is the only pistol I've handled and fired that has ergonomics as good as a Steyr. :mrgreen:

19. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

There are a lot of CZ97 owners who consider it to be the best out-of-the-box .45 in existence. The only thing is that to shoot it one has to have large hands. The reach for double action is considerable. That said, I love mine and given the choice between my Sig 220 and it the CZ would get the nod.

Buzz

20. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

[​IMG]
    The good Lord hung a pair of pretty big hands on me. The CZ75 fits just fine and I'm sure the CZ97B will too. And that's pretty high praise, Buzz, Sig 220 is a highly rated .45 by all. :mrgreen: