CZ52

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Buzz, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

My wife will be gving me a CZ52 in 7.62x25 Tokarev for my upcoming birthday. Funny how she knew that I wanted one :twisted: Does anyone have any experience with one of these hand cannons? If so, if you were to puit together a kit of spare parts what would they be? I know tha the firing pins can be delicate and I suspect that spare rollers would be nice. Anything else?

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I assume it will be a range toy, but it's worth warning about the dangers of carrying c&l anyway... The safety mechanism has been known to break while carrying and more than one AD has occurred... :shock: I don't think I'd ever carry one, but if I did, this would be one of the few pistols I would carry in condition 3...

3. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

The AD's mostly occurred when people were trying to use the decock. Don't it's junk.
    Safety has three modes, down (fire), mid-way(safe), all the way up (decock).
    Just manually lower the hammer on an empty chamber the same way you would on a 1911 after you are done with your range session.

The CZ52's firing pin is very fragile too, I've already broken one. So don't dry fire it.
    Instead of buying another CZ FP as a spare, get the American made replacement, it's top quality.

Finally get a case of ammo on line soon.
    Thanks to the UN's sanctions on "gun running", surplus ammo is getting scarce and this may be the last time you'll be able to get it cheap :evil:

4. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

That is good advice on the de-cocker. Also, going to the Harrington firing pin replacement will almost certainly render the de-cocker ineffective. I'm going to pretend like it doesn't exist. Would I be correct to assume that it isn't easy to accidentally engage the de-cocker?

As to ammo, I bought a box of Winchester Metric ($12.50 per 50) which is actually made by Sellier & Bellot. I hope there is no risk of Sellier & Bellot (and Wolf and Barnaul) drying up. Since it is made for Winchester hopefully it will remain available. I'll be saving my brass. (same with my 9mm Ultra).

Buzz

5. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

The de-cocker is pretty easy to activate if you swipe the safety on fast/hard.

During a range session I usually just leave the slide locked back between shooting and lower the hammer manually at the end.
    It also helps that I'm left-handed so just using the safety requires some fumbling around, so I don't.

S&B is good stuff, but Bulgarian surplus can be had for under 11 cents per round shipped.
    That's >$5.50 per box of 50
    LINK: http://www.gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=7.62x25

ETA: Just looked to see that the sale was still going on, Century's price of $64 per 800 doesn't show until check-out. :wink:

6. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Just a word of caution, the Bulgarian 7.62 Tokarev is corrosive, so clean appropriately (per outdoormarksman.com)

Buzz

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Here's my CZ52 mshown next to my GB for size comparison.
    http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4955/img2433qx8.jpg

I'm really pleased with the CZ. It appears as if it is unissued. There are none of the VOZ re-arsenal marks on it so it may well be unissued. There is no evidence of any firing other than the 50 rounds the seller passed through it to do a reliability test. I'm really looking forward to shooting this one. I won't be doing any 2000 fps. rounds but will settle for around 1400 to 1500 :twisted:

I've always noticed a bit of resemblence between the 52 and the GB, in the slide shape, but photographed together it is less than I had imagined. Of course there is a big difference between 1954 and 1884 in terms of gun design.

Buzz

8. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

9. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

They look close enough that you could fool someone into thinking they were made by the same MFG. :D

10. wolfen1949

wolfen1949 New Member

I added adjustable clock sights to my cz, walnut crips , a magazine catch that works like a 1911, extended slide stop, an extra barrem in 9mm Largo and a trigger job. I like the Cz52 but like many other owner I do not use the hammer drop. And it is always a good ideal to get new firing pin and a new wolf recoil spring. The factory cz firing pin is cast and will break if dry fired. As for as recoil spring you have no ideal how many years one has been sitting in compressed state.