CZ52

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by Buzz, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

A gun that I am considering adding is the CZ52. There are bunches of them out there as surplus and surplus priced. I did a search and the major comment that I read was that the ergonomics suck. Beyond that, any comments on how they shoot, reliability, or anything to look out for in buying one?

Buzz

2. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

Buzz,

You might want to head over to http://www.czshooters.com and ask the same question. You will get a better response me thinks.

-D

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Might want to PM Cold_Fluorescence - he seems to be one of the resident CZ aficionados.

4. smores

smores Guest

I've got a buddy that has one and I would like to add one to my collection as well. Here is a quick list of pros and cons

Pros:

Straight, accurate shooter. My friend can hit a man-sized silhouette at 100yds, and get about 5/7 shots on it.
    Reliable - with a roller-locking system, these things are very robust and apparently last forever
    High velocity ammo, about 1500 FPS

Cons:

Grips aren't the greatest, but there are wood ones available
    Ammo isn't always readily available

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Ah yes - the CZ that fires the 7.62x25 Tokarev - now I remember. I have only 2 things to add:

1) The awesome section density of the 7.62 coupled with the wicked velocity usually make for an extremely deep penetrator. This cartridge is considered "armor piercing" in most instances. The Box 'O Truth did a good review of it demonstrating this quality.

2) They are generally considered unsafe to carry. Ideally, one would carry the CZ52 "cocked and locked", but the safety has been known to fail or more than just one occasion, sometimes resulting in an AD. This forces a cautious user to carry on an empty chamber, or with the hammer down. There was a case of an AD with the CZ52 here in TX not too long ago. A gentleman was carrying one at church when his very young granddaughter came running up, slammed into him, and gave him a hug. Luckily, the AD of the CZ52 only resulted in a bullet burried in the dirt, a hole in his pants, and a story of caution for the rest of us to pass along on the boards. 8)

The CZ52 would make a great range toy or niche weapon, though. I do plan on acquiring one someday myself, and the price is incredibly low when compared to other weapons that can do what the CZ52 can do.

6. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i think it's a sweet little gun. i had the chance to snag one at a gun show but the price was double what i've seen them going for. i'll get oen soon enough.

the tokarev round is seriously impressive. the .357sig of its day. a fun range plinker for sure.

7. Buzz

Buzz Premium Member

Thanks everyone, you gave me the quick answer that I was looking for. Plus, the CZ52 section at the suggested CZForum is fantastic with a wealth of knowledge! I'm going to add one of these shooters to the stable ASAP.

Buzz

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

I think CDNN or AIM Surplus was selling them last year. have not seen them featured recently, but you might call them and ask.

9. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member