CZ P01 Compact

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by ChillyWilly, Dec 1, 2007.

1. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I can't stand plastic on any internal pistol parts....it good for a grip but that is where I draw the line. This is one of less important reasons I got a steel guide rod for my M40A1 and now I have this CZ P01 which I got a replacement rod for as well. So last week I replaced the rod and today I went to the range to put the last of 500 rounds through her and man....wow....I love this gun....it just gets better and better the more you shoot it.

I love my M40A1 and I don't plan on getting rid of it, but the trigger, even the way it is now, has worn thin on me. I know I am comparing apples and oranges but this P01's trigger action even in its long DA (it has a Long DA, a half cocked short DA and SA) is so nice and smooth. Admittadly, I bought snap caps and have pulled the trigger at least a 1000 times (including the 500 in actual shooting) but with just an estimated 1000 pulls it has just gotten better and better and better.

I am almost a 9mm convert because of this gun (not really but I definately like this gun). Follow ups, rapid fire, one handed, right or left handed, with a light in the opposite hand, isocoles, weaver...whatever...it shoots like ddd tits...this gun is great...and made even better by the steel guide rod. Thanks again to BT because if not for his MA1 guide rod I would not have looked for a guide rod for my P01.

2. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

3. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I like it! Here's the full-size CZ75 SP-01, 4.72" barrel, 19 rds. of 9mm and a DA/SA trigger.

[​IMG]

Here's the Compact CZ P01 which Chilly Willy has, 3.9" barrel, 15 rds.:

[​IMG]

Now all I gotta do is sell my S&W 669 for the $400 I got in it and raise another $150 or so and I'll have my new full-size 9mm.

4. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

Sorry no camera, I sent mine up north with the fam bam, we are moving up to northern california....I had to stay back for medical reasons....

The biggest diff is the P01 is an alloy pistol. And with some HST tactical I am fully confident it will get the job done...I am not a one hole shooter but I get every shot in the danger zone...

5. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

While we're talking CZ 75 SP-01, have you guys seen this review in American Handgunner? Dave Anderson tests the compact, the full-size and a custom model.

[​IMG]

There's also a video of shooting the pistol

I like the full-size version a lot. Soon as I sell my S&W 669 subcompact, this will be my new 9mm. But what's with the bayonet? As long as I've got any rounds left, there ain't gonna be no knife fighting. And with 19 in the mag and at least a couple of spare mags at hand, I can't foresee any situation I'll ever be in that's gonna require a bayonet.

But it is cool, I gotta admit. First pistol I ever saw with a bayonet. :mrgreen:

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Hey Net....

My FFL guy has had one of those [with the bayonet] sitting in his case for months.....

I thought it looked pretty kewl myself... and was contemplating buying just the bayonet and trying to rig it for one of my Steyrs or Glocks or whatever....

...but I haven't pilled THAT trigger yet....

8)

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

8. exexpat08

exexpat08 Guest

PCR 9mm Here!

The PCR is the PO1 without the rail basically.

Love mine! Shoots like a dream! No issues what-so-ever as far as function! Eats anything it is fed including Russian, lead, all HP's, and Aluminium cased crap ammo.

Three issues that CZ does need to address though.

1. Plastic Guide Rod needs to be steel. When my plastic one started to bend like a pretzel and wear hard I upgraded to a chrome steel one I found on the internet and never looked back.

I also found standard screws for the grips at the same time to replace the philips screws. I had shredded the philip screws (always the wrong sized screwdriver used plus really soft metal of the screws) so I upgraded to standard slot screws.

2. Finish. Mine is the polymer paint job they usually put on them. Chipped, scratched, and peeled instantly out of the box. I would send it in for refinishing but it isn't rusting and I don't want to part with the gun that long. I will probably have it flat hard chromed when I have it done - aftermarket. Inside and out. Plus that would make mine unique for a CZ!

3. Internal machining finish. Barrel should be nickel or chromed. Harder coated material for the take down (browning piece) slide stop. Machine marks hard inside the slide. Functions great but CZ could do better. It shoots like a SIG or HK - why not look like one for a few dollars more.

4. Wish it had Trap sights on it like the Suresights or the Steyr's of course. That would make it even more perfect and perfect for CC piece sighting.

5. Wish the decocker was a safety but still love the PCR. (Ever notice on East Block guns some small parts are case hardened and slightly purple or tanish colored - I like it. It is like old school.) Maybe that was a NATO requirement. Just my thing. Love the size and weight of the PO1 and PCR Pistols.

I am not a good shot but this pistol makes me a better shooter. I hope the same goes when I finally break down and buy a Steyr 9mm flavored piece (now that I am buying polymer/plastic pistols - got over my bias finally).