Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have fallen in love with my Ma1 40... but would like to branch out. I just got to hold a cz duty p 07 for the first time. I liked it. I now kind of have an itch to get one... the price was $450 after a mail n rebate to gander mountain. However I like the steyr so now I am interested in the Sa1 so I have something to carry concealed better. But there is that darn XDS calling my name too.... what should I do. I want to buy them all but have to go one at a time. So where would you guys go first the cz 7 or 9 or Sa1 or xds? The 7 size wise was fine. I have smaller hands. The grip texture was pretty extreme so I would sand it down or find some rubber inlays for it. So maybe I wouldn't want the 9 full grip length. Anyhow I carry an XD 45 right now and it is obviously hard to conceal.

Let's hear your input.

Dr. B

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can't speak to your CZ, but I have the Steyr S-A1 in both calibers along with the XDS. In fact, those are my two non-negotiable firearms. All others are up for sale this weekend. I haven't come up with a good way to carry IWB for the Steyr yet, however, had some success using a DeSantis clip (I think the B6 Nemesis)? But pending where you are, here in WV it's been cold so I've had a coat on while carrying IWB. I also carry the Steyr OWB in an Uncle Mikes from WalMart with coat on. My XDS, I have a Harwell Quick Clip for it, IWB, and it conceals very nicely. Single Stacks are the way to go IMO with IWB. So pending on how you wish to carry, the XDS, due to being very slim would be the winner for IWB IMO. But, believe me, I will find a way to carry my Steyr. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
The S9-A1 is your best bet for CC followed by the PO7. I have the S9-A1 and love it since it has broken in. I'm also waiting for a PO7 in OD green to show up. I just cannot get into the XD handguns. Sure they are well made but the high bore axis makes no sense to me. They also are way overpriced for what they are. In my opinion an XD should be priced lower than a CZ or Steyr,or Glock. Of the guns you mentioned, for CC the S9-A1 is an (allmost) perfect gun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
SA XD-S has a very aggressive grip, it has to in order to make sure you hold on to it when it goes off, it is a little fiesty in 45ACP. I have not fired the 9mm version but it has to have a lighter recoil good luck finding one though.
The CZ P-07 (9mm or 40) is very close to a M40-A1 in size but has a different firing profile, the Steyr has an incrediblely light/smooth trigger (about 4lbs)and extremely short reset. The CZ is DA on that first pull (8lbs, 4 lbs thereafter) with a likewise short and light reset but very smooth, at least mine is.
I would go with the S9-A1 first because it is an excellent gun and you have experience since you already have a M40, and I assume you are comfortable with that light trigger. I would then follow up very soon with a CZ either a P-01 or a P-07. Keep in mind the P-01s and P-09s are both very rare especially a P-01 and its siblings. The P-09 will be here in numbers maybe someday if the govt doesn't screw things up.
I have all the guns mentioned except the Steyr S9-A1 and a 9mm SA XD-S. I would like to get a C9-A1 or a L9-A1 or a Walther PPQ in 9mm or 40 S&W someday because I like a bigger grip than the S has and no problems concealing a bigger gripped gun. Different strokes for different folks.
Oh yeah I do not have or seen a CZ P-09 yet either.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I too recommend the Steyr. However, if you're set on a CZ, buy it from Angus Hobdell's website czcustoms. I run the 75B in .40 SAO with the flat trigger and comp hammer, the firing pin block is removed and the pull is about 3#. This is not my CCP, however I have a OWB so I can on occasion carry it. Angus' guns are unbelievably nice to run - butter, just butter. They're not $1.98, but worth every single penny. If you have the budget, go for it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Greeting from VA …… I use a Cleveland holster to carry IWB for my S9-A1 and have been very happy with the adjustability and concealability (if that is even a word :)) ...... for reference, I am 5'9", 176 lbs, carry at the 4 - 5 o'clock position and don't wear the typical CCW clothing and have not had any problems with printing.
As far as the question of the tread, I can't speak to the CZ or the XDS, but compairing the S9-A1 to the XD-9, I am partial to the Steyr .... for the typical Steyr benefits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
More Steyr recommendations on a Steyr board - amazing! Haha! I don't like the short grip on the S9 so it wouldn't be on my list. The CZ is fantastic but maybe too big for you....for a great conceal carry gun with a fantastic grip, the Walther PPS is pretty fantastic....it's next on my list.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am leaning towards the P01 now. But the P07 is in my future as well as another Steyr of course. Man I need to move back to California so I can get back to surfing and save myself from buying happiness (guns). I hate the cold out here in PA. Never mond I will still buy guns even if I lived in California.... don't tell the MRS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My CZ P07 9mm has 850 rounds thru it now and has never skipped a beat in reliability. In fact, I like it so much that I would never consider selling it. It's accurate, dependable, comfy in hand and was only $459 when I bought it brand new. One of the best guns I own for the money spent.

I would very much consider a P09 when they're available as I'm guessing they're just as nice, just in a bigger, full size package.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Both companies (brands) have outstanding products, quality, service and support. I have owned both brands for years and have nothing negative to say for each ones performance(s) in 9 & 40 versions. This is an interesting discussion, too. I would think a side by side comparison(s) is to be of value. I will add that CZ products have a huge benefit from its world famous shooting team and its experiences and the work of Angus Hobdell. You will find many more accessories for the CZ, though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I REALLY like the Springfield Armory XD's, I've owned a couple (XD, XDM) and the XDM is my favorite with its interchangeable back straps, plus you get a ton of goodies in the case with it, but I'm 6'1, so I can pull of concealing a larger gun, no prob. I was actually carry a full size 1911 for awhile.
I'm currently using using an M9-A1 for carry, I chose the M because I didn't like the lower mag count on the S (outta the box anyway) but I also REALLY like the Steyrs as well.
Bottom line, pick what ya like and what fits YOU best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts