CZ-82

Discussion in 'Other Handguns' started by smores, Apr 23, 2007.

1. smores

smores Guest

I know, I know! I still don't have my Steyr! But I signed for it already and my 7-day wait is half-way over.....

Anyway, back to the topic, the CZ-82. This gun has recently become classified as a C&R gun, so to celebrate getting my C&R FFL I purchased this gem from AIMSurplus for $209.95 hand-select. (http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Czec ... istol.html)

Total including shipping was in the ballpark of $245. It's chambered in 9x18mm Makarov. Not a bad deal. Date code is from 1989. It looks to be in great shape, very positive safety, and the slide release is also strong. Polygonal bore. It was interesting to see how smooth it looks, but you can see a little twist to it. Some minor scratches and nicks here and there, but nothing has gone through to the steel. Bore was dirty when I received it, but a patch of #9 followed by 2 dry patches cleaned it up nicely.

So I opened the box to find this:

[​IMG]

Supplied with one spare mag (newer than the one that came in the pistol).

[​IMG]

The older one fits better, here it is broken down:

[​IMG]

Big and little brothers:

[​IMG]

Family resemblance?:

[​IMG]

2. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

wow, didn't realize a C&R covered such recent guns.

Congratulations on your acquisition. Let us know how it shoots.

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Jeez Cold* - you are becoming quite the CZ fanatic. 8) Makes me wonder where your loyalties really lie... :lol:

Looks good! CZ's are great guns - feel free to send one my way should your gun safe ever get too full. :twisted:

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Hey Coldman!

I think you just found my new pocket pistol I've been looking for. And what a price! I won't have to settle for a Kel Tec after all.

You gotta give us a range report on that little devil. :twisted:

And how about a photo in your hand to give us a little better idea of its size? (Unless you've got catcher's mitts for hands.) What I want to know is will it fit in your pocket? And how's the trigger?

With an overall length of 6.77" it won't make Bo Bo's pocket pistol chart, but it sure looks small enough to me.

As for the 9x18, if I understand the European-metric vs. U.S.-caliber, that's somewhere between .380-(9x17) and 9mm Parabellum-(9x19). But what do I know about 9mm calibers? Not much. Until last month I was a 9mm snob. :mrgreen:

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

9x18mm Makarov also ranks in the middle of .380 and 9x19mm in terms of "stopping power" (if ever there were such a thing). It is generally regarded as sufficient for personal defense, though ammo selection isn't exactly robust. Corbon and Hornady will probably be worth looking at, though I'm not familiar enough with the cartridge to know what penetration looks like with the hollow-point offerings.

6. smores

smores Guest

I'll see if I can get some more pics in tomorrow.

But as for the trigger, in DA it starts out with a tiny click (dunno why, but that's what mine does). However it breaks very clean. You can't even anticipate where it's gonna break because there's absolutely NO grittiness or anything to hint that the hammer's about to fall. In single action it's smooth as butter. The trigger itself is fairly wide (9-10mm), yet smooth so your finger won't pull it to the side.

I hope to get a range day on Sunday, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to locate any 9x18mm before then. I usually buy online because the selection in my area is bad and overpriced when you can find something. I'll see if I can pick up a box or two. The gun seems to have a very low bore axis and I'm eager to see how a fixed, polygonal bored gun does. With a 12-round double stack mag I think this may be a better choice than the Makarov or even the PPK. The dovetail is wide and keeps the web of your hand well clear of the slide/hammer.

One more thing to think about if you're looking for a carry gun, Meprolight makes tritium sights for the '82.

7. smores

smores Guest

More pics

A couple to get a sense of size. I have a pretty medium build, about 6'0" 225 lbs. I need to drink less beer ;) Oh well, here we go...

Look at that dirty mirror! Shame on me I should clean it!

[​IMG]

That's better...

[​IMG]

Whoops, watch that trigger finger! Much better...

[​IMG]

Now, if I were leaving on a trip, which toiletries should I bring? :?:

[​IMG]

One last pic, as you can see it has standard dot military sights in the rear, with a painted line on the front ramp:

[​IMG]

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Thanks for the photos, Coldman. It seems not too small and not too large either. As Goldilocks said, just right.

One last question, will it fit in your pocket? (And how big are your pockets?) :mrgreen:

9. smores

smores Guest

Ah, these jeans are a little small on me but I'm able to get the gun in a pocket. However it bulges out a fair bit. Maybe a size or two up.

I don't have an IWB holster of any type, but here's a jerry-rigged setup. I sort of tucked it in my pants, "gangster style" but behind the hip. Here it is under a plain white undershirt:

[​IMG]

10. QPluralisT

QPluralisT Guest

I honestly think the number of CZ pistols owned by board members rivals the number of Steyrs. :shock: (says the Steyrless CZ owner)

CZs are incredibly addicting, and multiply like rabbits if one isn't careful.

On that note, a CZ97B range report might be due after the weekend.

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

That's because they are affordable :lol:. And great guns, of course.

Great pics, Cold*! You did a great job demonstrating the dimensions of the pistol. 8)

12. smores

smores Guest

Thanks for the compliments. I need to get some better photography skills though, and start running again :( I used to be kind of muscular but 7 months of no gym and lots of beer ruins a good physique :lol: I will admit I'm not nearly as good of a model as Thunderbear.....

I really like the feel of this gun. I like it a lot more than my dad's PPK/s. Only thing left is the range report!

13. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

yes, but who among us is?

14. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

My CZ 40B is getting lonely

15. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Member

What the hell? [​IMG]

Thanks guys... I think. [​IMG]

On topic: I want a CZ52 for a truck gun. Any carbines use 7.62x25? It'd be nice to have a longer barrel with that hotass little round.

16. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

I can't stop thinking about the CZ 75 B Police that I looked at...

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

That just means you need to go buy it. :)

18. posterboy7

posterboy7 New Member

Oh, I know.

Actually, my next gun is going to be a tactical shotgun.

...Unless I get word from Wulf that Steyr has picked us to try out their new S40-A2.

19. smores

smores Guest

How about a SMG: [​IMG]

Sudaev PPS-43 http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg03-e.htm

Good luck finding one though ;)

20. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Forgot about the CZ-82 when I went Kel-Tec, first P11 and then sold it and went with the PF9, which is a great pocket pistol. Then I got an email today from J&G Sales, CZ-82s for $180. Great, another pistol caliber I don't already have, 9x18. That would put me up to eight or nine, lost count. :D
    [​IMG]
    I did a quick google and it seems the CZ-82 has a great trigger. Hmmmm. :D