Custom Mag Well Needed

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by midtnshooter, Sep 16, 2007.

1. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Hey All,

Anyone seen or made a magwell for the M40 ? I'm trying to take my pistol to the next level.

Take Care,
    MTS

2. midtnshooter

3. mrboma

mrboma Member

Looks like you an I have had the same idea here. :twisted:
    C-more sight, extented barrel with IGB Comp and flarred mag well.
    I know 1 & 2 are doable, but the mag well would seem VERY tough to do with the composite grip.
    Also the way the mag base plate notches in to the grip would also prove difficult.
    However, that being said, you find a way - I will follow.
    Mike

4. madecov

madecov Active Member

On the A1 there is a hole on the heel of the grip. It may be possible to fabricate a "chute" that would use the hole with a pin to make a small flared well.

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

that's how it's done on the XD.

a plug is inserted into the grip and the magwell is affixed to the plug. the XD magwell is shaped rather like a toilet seat in that the front does not wrap entirely around the grip. this allows the mag to be extracted from the grip by pulling on the front lip of the mag.

the bigger problem that steyrs face is magazine extraction. it is common that the magazine gets stuck in the grip during a stove pipe or a double feed.

it's therefore important that the user be able to lock the slide back and forcefully pull the mag from the grip. on glocks and XD's this is done by using cut outs in the front and rear of the grip. this is why a grip plug in a glock is kind of a bad idea.

the steyr design depends on the user being able to grip the sides of the mag. this is much more intuitive to the user.

it also means that adding a magwell eliminates this ability... UNLESS

one also adds extended base plates to their magazines. this is very popular with people who are building guns for competition. when adding weight to the front of the gun via guide rods, longer barrels and holo sights, the gun becomes very front heavy. adding weight to the rear of the gun is very desirable and given that adding a magwell decreases the user's ability to clear the mag from the grip, adding a longer slug of brass or aluminum to the bottom of the mags balances out some of the weight gain.

i've thought about ways of doing this. it isn't the end of the world. the issue is that to really do it, you'd have to buy baseplates to go with the magwell.

this is on my list of wacky projects to tackle. i've just been a little too busy to tackle it.

6. midtnshooter

This is the help that I need

I have been in contact with several other members in this room. Each have told me that they want to race out their guns.
    Some aren't willing or don't want to invest in a 2011 frame, but to see what they can do with their own pistol. Each of us want to have a
    "different" manufacturer out on the range, that no one else has. Were not sporting Glocks, like every IDPA shooter out there,
    we are IPSC.

We want the mods that keep us competitive. We want that extra second, when it counts. We want the recoil as light as possible,
    with a really cool multi port comp for the chicks (and the guys for the gals). We want to compete with something different.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I want to extend my mags to 18 ? (too late and I don't have a tape measure).
    IGB comp on the way.

http://www.uckfup.dk/content/view/8/14/

Cool name for a shooting club, huh?

Take Care,
    MTS

7. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly New Member

I know jack about what you guys are doing but looking at your picks, what you want to accomplish and what I saw someone here do to the grip by melting it to create texture...the question that comes to mind is....can't you guys heat the and reshape the bottom into a flare and then just grind anything that is uneven once its all done.

I am sure not the easiest and you better be skilled like the dude who did the texture but the end result would be great I am sure...and ways enough driving from the back seat....

8. midtnshooter

Right now I think what I'm going to do is to take some dental impression puddy and create a positive and negative. Run it by the CNC shop and also send it to some dealers and see what can be done. Actually I have an alternative style magwell design. It will impliment the missing section on the front side of the grip to my advantage. If anyone hears anything, please let me know.

Thanks,
    MTS