Countless threads on extractor but this is a NEW question regarding C9-A1 ....

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by pjd393, Mar 23, 2012.

1. pjd393

pjd393 New Member

So, I have read MANY threads on extractors. Almost everyone in here knows there has been a new extractor design on the C9-A1. The good news I have only had FTE's with some garbage reload ammo from the local gun shop. I tried a few other brands and have not had an FTE in the last 350-400 rounds. Actually, the Wal-mart special Winchester White Box Bulk ammo ($23 per 100) has been flawless! Not a single FTE in 200 rounds of that.

The ONLY problem is the ejected shells fly everywhere. Typically 1 in every clip will hit me on the head or face. That is especially fun when it falls behind my safety glasses and settles on my cheek :willynilly:

Jeff at SAI sent me a different extractor (I believe from the M40-A1) and a new spring (the spring may be the EXACT one that is in there now). My C9 was clear of the recalls and is a very new serial number. The local shop had received it recently and they sell a decent amount of Steyr. :)

I'm tempted to throw the other extractor in and spring. I've also seen a few posts about a 1911 spring that can be substituted as well.

*IS* the direction of the ejected shells going to work itself out? Has anyone swapped there C9 extractor or spring for a different one with success?

I had heard the outer raised edge of the extractor was for LCI but I can not feel or tell the different of the extractor (i.e. it is noticeably raised upward) when it is chambered vs. not chambered.

Thoughts from the guru's here?

P.S. I'm ABSOLUTELY thrilled with my purchase!!! I think it was a major mistake for Steyr to switch sights but I'm going to send that in to SAI for a swap. I know Steyr is trying to capture a U.S. based daily and CPL carry for more law enforcement and the reverted the sights to be more traditional so I can't fault them from a marketing/business perspective. People just don't get how damn amazing the trap sights are! I shot my M40 1st gen against the C9 at 10 yards and the M40 sights were EASILY superior for quick target acquisition and a much tighter grouping HANDS DOWN!

2. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

With regard to the brass direction with the 1911 mod, my brass went vigorously up and to the right. Shooting in an indoor range got me bounces on the head after the casing hit the cover then ricocheted off the divider. In the open, the brass seemed to reach 10' or more in height. I've written here about that before, during an USPSA match, one of the competitors asked me what I was shooting, said he'd never seen brass thrown like that before.

3. Powder

Powder New Member

Got a C9-A1 a couple weeks ago and it came with the trap sights which is cool. Anyone know which C9's came with what sights or is it a random thing from Steyr?

4. blueorison

blueorison Member

Random brass vectors have not changed for me, at all. But I don't shoot a C9-A1.

I hope someone with one can chime in, sorry for not being the best of help.

5. pjd393

pjd393 New Member

LOL!!! That's gonzo!

Thanks for the input!

:)

6. pjd393

pjd393 New Member

NICE! I can't complain. Total cost to send the slide in, have the sights replaced and shipped back will be ~$55. WELL worth it. I bought the gun for $530 out the door.

7. hulagu

hulagu New Member

I am new to the Steyr M9A1 having just acquired an M9A1 this week. I got the gun NIB with two magazines, case and cleaning kit from Cabela's for $399.99. It is marked PW Arms Redmond Washington. The serial is 041479, don't know if that is early or late. I lubed it with Tetra according to the manual and went to the range. I was using Winchester NATO ball and Federal 115 gr fmj. The gun was a pleasure to shoot and accurate. I particularly liked the sights. I shot 60 rounds using each magazine twice. The gun failed to eject 3 times, with each type of ammo and both magazines. Has this problem been solved? Is factory support available or are these guns " orphans"? Any info would be appreciated!
    "

"
    '
    '

8. Zero Tolerance6

Zero Tolerance6 New Member