Conversion M40 to a M9

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Doubletap Plus, Jul 5, 2007.

1. I have a m40 and about to order a new threaded barrel and compensator. Thnking of ordering it in a 9mm to have two guns in one. Am I right to think I only need the barrel, 15rd magazines and maybe change out the spring?

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

yes you are.

however, be sure you tell igb or whoever you're getting the barrel from that you have an m40 and need a 9mm conversion barrel.

the hole in the slide on the dedicated 9mm is smaller as is the OD of the 9mm barrel.

igb does make a 9mm barrel with an OD designed to fit the slide of the m40.

no need for a new recoil spring. the springs are the same regardless of caliber.

the ejectors are the same. initially the extractors were also the same. there have been a few updated extractors and i'm not sure if steyr is currently offering a dedicated 9mm extractor.

a call to SAI could clear this concern up. i suspect the extractor is still modular in nature.

then you just need 9mm mags!!

good luck.

3. nuj

nuj New Member

hi there bigtaco,
    i was meaning to buy a threaded barrel for my new m9-a1 , i'm from the philippines and finally know how, can you please give me the e-mail address of SAI or any makers of steyr threaded barrels, much appriciated, just e-mail me at [email protected], thank you very much and take care always

4. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

igbaustria.com

obviously i have no idea about importing things from austria to the phillipines, but i suspect that igb does :wink:

5. dabdaworm

dabdaworm Member

6. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

That kit should work just fine for either "generation" - M or M-A1.