converion from M40a1 to M9a1

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by nixon, Jul 18, 2007.

1. nixon

nixon Member

All,

Has anyone had their M40-A1 converted to M9-A1 ? Please tell us of your experience.

Contemplating on having a conversion unit if practicable - that is, getting a drop-in barrel in 9mm that will fit the slide of M40-A1 and 9mm mags are the only things that I need.

How about the extractor and ejector , recoil spring ?

nixon,

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

The recoil springs are the same for 9, 40, and 357. I believe BT confirmed last week that the extractor is the same as well - all you should need are the magazines and a special thick barrel. I seem to recall one of our forum members had done the conversion...? Anyone recall who that might have been?

3. MrApathy

MrApathy Active Member

would need a IGB replacement barrel. dont recall anyone doing that.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

What BT did was take his S40 slide and install my M357-A1 barrel and it worked fine. But if I'm not mistaken, the M9A1 slide is different from the 40 or 357 Sig. So would it follow that the extractor is also different?

I do know that 9mm rounds are smaller in circumference than 40/357 so perhaps the extractor would also need to be changed for 9mm? Just thinking out loud, don't know. Surely somebody here at Steyr Club has tried this.

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I always thought the 9mm's used a different extractor, too, but someone corrected me on that during the last .40->9 discussion. I can't confirm it, as I don't have both, so don't take my word for it. :wink: Shooter was the user I was thinking of - he's the man to ask.

6. nixon

nixon Member

I spoke with Jeff at SAI yesterday and he told me it's not advisable to do the 40 to 9 coversion with just the barrel/magazine change only. There's more to it than that he told me that the inside dimensions of the m40 slide is a bit larger than the 9 although both uses the same extractor/ejector, they need to be tuned. The right way is to get a complete top end in 9. But that's out of the question, it's more expensive than getting a new piece. Conversion from 40 to 357 or vice versa is the correct way to go. IGB in austria sells it around $233 + ship. 357 ammo is very expensive too. My othet option is to reload by getting a set of 357 sig die for about $80. + conversion kit about another 20-30 bucks for Dillon xl 650 press. Hmmmm...... that's cost of new piece already.

I think my best option is to wait for the 45 acp to come out. Since I have all the reloading stuff for it. I just have to wait for it become a reality. Oh yes, that's wishful thinking outloud.

nixon,

7. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. Now we know. I'm curious though - does anyone have both and want to measure the various dimensions?

8. nuj

nuj New Member

m40 to m9a1

hi nixon,
    I had a 1st generation M40 and a M9a1, and I tried exchanging them. From my experience, you can only use the polymer frame from the m40 to the m9a1. You have to use the slide/barrel/recoil spring as a unit. I tried using the magazine of the m9a1 on my m40 and they cycle just fine. On the other hand, you can't use the 9mm mag for the 40 cal, the bullet will just fall out.
    As for the extractor, they won't fit. the new M40a1 still use the 1st generation extractor, the new m9a1 is different.
    Hope this answers you question, if you have more questions just feel free to ask our moderators, ok. Takecare and shoot straight always

9. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi PPL :)

Hey, I contacted Steyr-Mannlicher earlier in the year tryin' ta get the 40/357 to 9MM conversion info and this is what I got back from them:

The first reply was to my question, "Why can't I just get an over sized IGB 9MM bbl and swap it out with my M357-A1 for the 9MM conversion?"

Then I tried the "what parts do I need for a proper conversion", and got this:

And, the following info should be noted, should you decide to purchase the Conversion Kits for your M-A1's :

So, there ya have it inna nutshell. <shrug> ... FWIW. Now, how to get around the breechblock problem, I haven't a clue. BT? Ya got any brilliant ideas for this conversion problem thing? :shock: Oh well, I'm outta my league here with you engineer/machinist types. <shrug> Hava great weekend. :)

Wulf

10. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

What do you think the odds are of getting your hands on one of those conversion kits without spending more than the price of a new gun? :roll:

I wonder if anyone has ever bought one...

11. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

this is exactly why i would love to take the armorer's course, if it becomes available in the states.

i can't figure out what he means by different barrel contour and lock up, especially considering the modular nature of the design.

the barrels are cut straight. they align in the bottom of the hole in the slide. the breech has to mate to the opposite end of the barrel.

the sights are the same between models, so the barrel to sight plane relationship must stay the same and be 90 degrees to the breech face.

i've always been under the impression that the extractors were interchangeable, at least mine are. i can understand needing the barrel to sit higher on the breech face to engage the same extractor designed to grab a .40 case, but unless the ID of the barrel is machined eccentric to the OD of the barrel, this could (in my non-steyr armorer and we really need an armorer on board to answer questions like this) only be accomplished by modifying:

1)the hole in the end of the slide and/or it's relationship to the OD of the barrel.

2) the locking lug design/measurements... especially as they relate to the OD of the 9mm barrel.

the other problem with simply repositioning the barrel's breech face position is the firing pin. i can't imagine that the firing pin is any higher or lower in the 9mm version. why cast/machine a completely different slide. so how exactly they get the 9mm round to engage the extractor differently by merely changing the barrel contour while keeping the center of the barrel in position such that primers can be struck by the firing pin completely baffles me. this may have been the intended design (same extractor between calibers) but upon actual production didn't actually pan out. as now they're saying a 9mm specific extractor is the new thing.

i can certainly understand that all things being equal, the slide on the 9mm version must be lighter. especially using the same spring rates.

just fodder for discussion i suppose. i would drive them nuts at the armorer's course, because these are the things i really want to understand.

steyr factory??? any help. even a "too complex, don't worry about it" would suffice. but getting a hard and solid answer would be great.

12. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Dayam BT!!! :shock:

Whatever the Hell ya just said, sounds reasonable to me. <shrug> Hava great weekend. :)

Wulf <-- thinx 3rd grade was the best 3 yrs of 'is life :p

13. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Oh, and *tax...

Anytime I wanna know somethin' like that, I call Jack or email him. He usually either knows and will tell ya, point-blank, or he'll find out and get back to ya, PDQ. <shrug> Don't be scared. :shock: SAI is our friend. 8)

Hava great weekend. :)

Wulf

14. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I simply have no use for a conversion kit, but I'm sure they are astronomically expensive. I really need to pony up the cash and just buy another pistol.

And is anyone else starting to think we Steyrclub folks need to throw down and have a "send BT to Austria" money drive? :twisted: He is absolutely right - we need a certified armor on board. Especially with his machining skills - that guy could turn out all kinds of kooky stuff and we would all reep the benefits.

BT - have you ever priced the trip? I'm sure it would take a lot more than a few Steyrclub lemonade stands, but it's food for thought anyway...

And do they happen to offer the course in English? (i'm guessing not :()

15. RiceCakes

RiceCakes Guest

Hahahaha, Syntax, I was just going to say that, do they make rosetta stone in Austrian??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. dabdaworm

dabdaworm Member

17. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

should work for M or MA-1

18. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

That is very cool - good find! We all knew that it existed, but that is the first time I've seen one for sale state-side. Now all you .40 and .357SIG lovers have a chance to see where it's really at... :twisted:

<-- (hops in flame suit)

19. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

I just got off the phone w/ Jerry at CDNN (800-588-9500) and as of this mornin', there are 3 of these conversion kits in stock for $200 each. I'm still tryin' to find out who sold them to CDNN. I couldn't pin Jerry down on exactly who the importer was and actually, it seemed like he really didn't know. :shock: Maybe there are other Steyr conversion kits thru this so far unnamed importer. Like I said, Jerry didn't seem to know very much only that they "had bought out all their stuff" and "wouldn't be gettin' anymore." This seems kinda strange since not so long ago, after SAI transferred their entire inventory of Steyr-Mannlicher products to CDNN, Davidson's acquired quite a few M40- and M9-A1's. Hmmm...curiouser and curioser. :shock: I'm still tryin' to contact Jack to include what he knows about the conversion kits at CDNN suddenly poppin' up on the scene. I'll post what I can find out. I can tell ya now, though, if if I run across any S357-A1 conversion kits, you guys won't hear dick till I got mine. :twisted: Hava great week. :)

Wulf

20. dabdaworm

dabdaworm Member