Steyr Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
188 Posts
Re: Brass Confetti

Matches said:
While field stripping, cleaning, and trying to dry out the firing pin/channel I did come across flecks of what I must assume is brass. When the job was done the action seemed stiff,like something was catching. I could not figure it out but upon inspeciton of a few rounds I cycle thru I have notied scrapes or minor gouges. The go from middle of the actual bullet all the way down the side of the brass casing. This would seem to be a logical source of brass flecks but I have no real idea what would cause it. My knowledge of weapons anatomy is really limited.

Matches
I would love to hear any update with your M9!

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've been unable to access this site since last week. I went to the range yesterday, loaded up, took aim, and click... nothing. Cleared round took aim, click. My M9 was mute. I was really pissed. The firing pin was not moving at all. I finished off a brick of .22 and left early to take the pistol back to the shop.

The proprietery took a look and happened to see some poking out by the FP. He managed to take it appart (now that I have seen it done I am confident I can do it) and a small piece of brass was found. It looks like part of a primer, round and flat and of the same size. It was too late and hot to go back out the same day. I am hoping to get back out tomorrow or Friday. I am hoping things go significantly better. Otherwise I am curious to see what Davidson's will to service this weapon.

Matches

G

·
Ok talking to a smith on Monday he gave me a great idea.

Brass flecks are comonly either brass from casing (caused by mag-lips or extractor), or copper coating from bullet jacket (caused by chamber/throat).

he said run a couple hundred rounds of cci blazer aluminum through it and see if you have copper or aluminm shavings.

My wife had put 160 rounds through the S9 w/ almost a dozen jams
in the over the last two days. He also said if i bring it to him clean he could guage the chamber and mag lips for me.

After she was done i picked it up and RAPID fired 14 rounds and slow fired 14 w/ no problems (my s9 always gives others more problems than it does me).

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Last nights thunderstorms dropped the temperatrues here to below 100 so I went back out to the range and things definitely went better. My M9 worked, though I had several jams, I believe those were ammo related (reloads). I fired about 10 rounds of Olympic and the pistol would not go into battery. Upon inspection I found another brass piece (primer disk/piece). I switched ammo to Remington. There were no apparent problems with the Remmington UMCs I ran through the pistol.

Matches

· Registered
1,190 Posts
Well,
It sounds like things might be getting a bit better.
Now I would clean the gun as completely as you can, I use break parts cleaner. Pick up a 100 rounds of WWB at wally world and 50 rounds each of various other factory ammunition.

keep notes as to how many rounds before a failure and with what ammo.

consider a journal of sorts, keep us informed. You may find that your M9 dislikes certain ammo types. If you discern that it likes certain ammo types, then you can reload to match that type of ammo

· Registered
188 Posts
Matches said:
Last nights thunderstorms dropped the temperatrues here to below 100 so I went back out to the range and things definitely went better. My M9 worked, though I had several jams, I believe those were ammo related (reloads). I fired about 10 rounds of Olympic and the pistol would not go into battery. Upon inspection I found another brass piece (primer disk/piece). I switched ammo to Remington. There were no apparent problems with the Remmington UMCs I ran through the pistol.

Matches
I am happy the it is somewhat working now, hope that there would be no more issues about the M9 that could not be resolved! I have not shot yet my M9 as I am worried of parts in case I will be needing one! Posted if the components of the M-A1 would work with the M9. If it does then I will be a happy camper! Would fire it until the pocket hurts! :D

· Registered
188 Posts
CGuns said:
All of my firearms are kept spotless. I use gun scrubber on the slide after cleaning, making sure to blow out the extractor area. Then, I go through with powder solvent in every area using a toothbrush. Then, I apply Hoppes No.9 plus teflon/rem.oil spray. They are overly clean.
How is it going now? Hope that cleaning resolved your issue... in the States many things can be done and supplies can be found. Steyr can not undermine the American market... but unfortunately I am not in the US. I believe that manufacturers are required, by US Law, to provide after sales service and support... but not here! :oops:

No one can blame me if I am a bit paranoid by not using my M9 for now, it may have a better resale value! Hoping that it would not be selling it!

· Registered
105 Posts
Matches said:

Matches
Based on what I've read on ammo threads from various sites like FAL Files and Gunboards, stay away from Olympic ammo. Their 9mm are hot, inconsistent and dirty. I'd considered buying a 1000 roiunds when Sportsmans Guide had it on special for $100 last year but reconsidered when I read the reviews.

· Registered
441 Posts
hiramabiff said:
CGuns said:
All of my firearms are kept spotless. I use gun scrubber on the slide after cleaning, making sure to blow out the extractor area. Then, I go through with powder solvent in every area using a toothbrush. Then, I apply Hoppes No.9 plus teflon/rem.oil spray. They are overly clean.
How is it going now? Hope that cleaning resolved your issue... in the States many things can be done and supplies can be found. Steyr can not undermine the American market... but unfortunately I am not in the US. I believe that manufacturers are required, by US Law, to provide after sales service and support... but not here! :oops:

No one can blame me if I am a bit paranoid by not using my M9 for now, it may have a better resale value! Hoping that it would not be selling it!
Greetings!

What country are you writing from?

Welcome!

As to the M9, I have not fired it yet. I will post results after doing all of the above.

CGuns

· Registered
188 Posts
CGuns said:
hiramabiff said:
CGuns said:

Greetings!

What country are you writing from?

Welcome!

As to the M9, I have not fired it yet. I will post results after doing all of the above.

CGuns
I am in Manila, Philippines!

Dealers here are making a killing on imported pistols, except the ones from China! Haven't seen any M9 on somebody's hands here! Only if parts for the M9s are readily available :x ... waiting for my dealer to come out with the latest M-A1 and parts! and that just that... end of my scenario!

As of now I couldnt even buy an extra magazine. Tried buying on line but I received a NO as for some international ban on exportng/importng... company policy! :?

· Registered
441 Posts
Update:

1. Did some polishing, on the area that was covered in brass in the picture that I posed on the 2nd page.

2. I cleaned the extractor area and channel tonight. I did this recently, but was very suprised to find the channel and the spring covered in "sludge". Looked like what you would find in the pump at a Russian gas station!

3. Cleaned it again, l-i-g-h-t-l-y lubricated the gun, put it back together.

I am going shooting sometime this coming week, after tuesday. Will post results.

CGuns

· Registered
188 Posts
CGuns said:
Greetings and Welcome,

Well, if you need parts, I am more than happy to send them as a "gift" from the U.S. to your country. This would be for customs purposes, of course.

Regards, CGuns
Thanks CGuns!

That's great, and glad that there is someone out there who greatly cares to a fellow Steyr owner!

Now the question would be on how are you gonna send the "gift", will the courier like FedEx take it outside US territory? I went to one of the FedEx centers here and was told that they could not ship out merchandise under the category of pistols [even for parts or even a magazine]. These could just be from Manila though. I am not sure if they have the same ruling down there. Shipping of such merchandise Im pretty sure is actually possible within the US only.

The restrictions are so #$%^&! :evil: told the courier [FedEx] here when I asked if I could ship my M9 or a part of it to Austria in case something wrong happens or requires repair... told them I was not sending or bringingin a nuclear war head nor a couple of hundred of firearms.... a magazine or a barrel is just basically just piece of metal with a shape... they better ban my pen for that!

If their guidelines there is not as what we have here... that's a great development on my issue. I was hoping that "gift idea" would work here.

I am very fortunate that someone like you and as well as the rest of the people here are as concern. Thank you! :)

· Registered
441 Posts
I was importing some firearms equipment from South Africa and FEDEX, DHL and UPS said that they were not interested in the shipment.
On Glocktalk, I posted this and I got 10 members that said to not declate the parts as "gun parts"...but to declare them as "machined metal or plastic parts" only. I think that this would work. I ended up shipping the items with South Africa air mail and it was less than half the price with my FED-Ex account and my DHL account. UPS was even more expensive and I have top level accounts with special discounts from FED-Ex and DHL.

My advise: If I was to send you items, I would ship them with USPS. United States Postal Service. The prices are lower than DHL, FEDEX and UPS and they will get their quicker. PM if you want more specifics.
http://www.usps.com

Regards, CGuns

· Registered
188 Posts
Why... again I havent thought of that! :( . Thanks. :)

Yeah... i think that's gonna work... I will go to the Philippine Natinal Head Quarters here tomorrow and will finish up my requirements so I could bring out my baby!

Will send you PM if ready... and for the details. Once again, thanks.

· Registered
40 Posts
Having skimmed this thread, my problem relates to when I try dropping a round down the chamber and releasing the slide. The round is seated as deep as possible but the slide dosen't go into battery. So I have to feed a round from the mag and then load one back into the mag of my S40. Any advice?

· Registered
173 Posts
DO NOT DROP A ROUND INTO THE CHAMBER AND DROP THE SLIDE ON IT WITH A STEYR M SERIES PISTOL!

Always feed the round from the magazine so the rim of the round can slide under the extractor. Failure to do so will damage the extractor. This is not just a Steyr issue but should not be done with any pistol except the Berettas with tip-up barrels. This practice is very hard on any extractor.

· Registered
78 Posts
Glad someone said NOT TO DO THAT. I learned early on with a 1911, never drop a round in and release the slide, always load from the mag.

On a side note; I picked up my M9 yesterday and plan on getting to the range today or tomorrow. Last night I stripped it down and cleaned everything like was shown here. The area that I found the most dirt/grease was when I took the firing pin out and cleaned it and the channel. Looking forward to shooting this ALOT.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.