Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Re: New Development

Matches said:
With the slide locked open, if I slam a magazine in the slide goes into battery. I know others have reported this same condition. My M9 did not used to do this. I checked when others first reported this happening to them.

Matches
As you've already read, it's supposed to happen (with a loaded magazine) and it is due to inertia. Maybe when it was new you didn't slam it as hard and the parts have smoothed out a little over time.

I'm surprised you haven't taken your M further apart than basic field strip in 1500 rounds. Some of the areas really need to be taken apart to be throughly cleaned and properly lubricated. Especially if you have an M that likes to make brass confetti. Don't sweat it, the bunch of guys here will help you through any problems or questions you'll have when taking apart and putting the M back together. Maybe it'll even fix your problems. But some Ms are just finicky.

· Registered
105 Posts
Re: Brass Confetti

Matches said:
While field stripping, cleaning, and trying to dry out the firing pin/channel I did come across flecks of what I must assume is brass. When the job was done the action seemed stiff,like something was catching. I could not figure it out but upon inspeciton of a few rounds I cycle thru I have notied scrapes or minor gouges. The go from middle of the actual bullet all the way down the side of the brass casing. This would seem to be a logical source of brass flecks but I have no real idea what would cause it. My knowledge of weapons anatomy is really limited.

Matches
The tips of the 2 ribs that are at the bottom of the slide that rides over the next round in the magazine seems to cause some brass confetti. Sharp edges on the extractor, ejector and loaded round indicator causes some dings on the brass and probably some confetti.

· Registered
105 Posts
Matches said:
Last nights thunderstorms dropped the temperatrues here to below 100 so I went back out to the range and things definitely went better. My M9 worked, though I had several jams, I believe those were ammo related (reloads). I fired about 10 rounds of Olympic and the pistol would not go into battery. Upon inspection I found another brass piece (primer disk/piece). I switched ammo to Remington. There were no apparent problems with the Remmington UMCs I ran through the pistol.

Matches
Based on what I've read on ammo threads from various sites like FAL Files and Gunboards, stay away from Olympic ammo. Their 9mm are hot, inconsistent and dirty. I'd considered buying a 1000 roiunds when Sportsmans Guide had it on special for $100 last year but reconsidered when I read the reviews.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.