Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
441 Posts
I have had problems similar to Matches, with my M9.

My gun was so tight, that it would often require a push forward, when racking, to fully chamber the round and to get the slide back into battery.

I started loading my mags up all the way and cycling the gun by hand. I did this for about 500 rounds, just cycling the gun and slide by hand.

Seemed to smooth things up. I probably have 1000 rounds or so through the gun.

I also started racking the slide back and foth a bunch, in an effort to smooth it up.

I think that the tolerances are very, very tight on these guns.

· Registered
441 Posts
Well, I am becoming pro-active in attempting to solve these issues.

I just finished polishing the area covered in brass in the below photo. I also polished around the ejector area, etc...because I noticed a lot of brass build-up. It feels much smoother now and goes into battery with ease. I will test fire and see what happens.

· Registered
441 Posts
All of my firearms are kept spotless. I use gun scrubber on the slide after cleaning, making sure to blow out the extractor area. Then, I go through with powder solvent in every area using a toothbrush. Then, I apply Hoppes No.9 plus teflon/rem.oil spray. They are overly clean.

· Registered
441 Posts
hiramabiff said:
CGuns said:
All of my firearms are kept spotless. I use gun scrubber on the slide after cleaning, making sure to blow out the extractor area. Then, I go through with powder solvent in every area using a toothbrush. Then, I apply Hoppes No.9 plus teflon/rem.oil spray. They are overly clean.
How is it going now? Hope that cleaning resolved your issue... in the States many things can be done and supplies can be found. Steyr can not undermine the American market... but unfortunately I am not in the US. I believe that manufacturers are required, by US Law, to provide after sales service and support... but not here! :oops:

No one can blame me if I am a bit paranoid by not using my M9 for now, it may have a better resale value! Hoping that it would not be selling it!
Greetings!

What country are you writing from?

Welcome!

As to the M9, I have not fired it yet. I will post results after doing all of the above.

CGuns

· Registered
441 Posts
Update:

1. Did some polishing, on the area that was covered in brass in the picture that I posed on the 2nd page.

2. I cleaned the extractor area and channel tonight. I did this recently, but was very suprised to find the channel and the spring covered in "sludge". Looked like what you would find in the pump at a Russian gas station!

3. Cleaned it again, l-i-g-h-t-l-y lubricated the gun, put it back together.

I am going shooting sometime this coming week, after tuesday. Will post results.

CGuns

· Registered
441 Posts
I was importing some firearms equipment from South Africa and FEDEX, DHL and UPS said that they were not interested in the shipment.
On Glocktalk, I posted this and I got 10 members that said to not declate the parts as "gun parts"...but to declare them as "machined metal or plastic parts" only. I think that this would work. I ended up shipping the items with South Africa air mail and it was less than half the price with my FED-Ex account and my DHL account. UPS was even more expensive and I have top level accounts with special discounts from FED-Ex and DHL.

My advise: If I was to send you items, I would ship them with USPS. United States Postal Service. The prices are lower than DHL, FEDEX and UPS and they will get their quicker. PM if you want more specifics.
http://www.usps.com

Regards, CGuns

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.