Considering pocket pistol for wife.. opinions please

Discussion in 'Anything Else' started by Nicholai, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Nicholai

Nicholai Guest

I have been looking around for a while but everyone I run into either shuns them or knows little about them. Any input is appreciated

I would like it to be small enough to fit in the front pocket of her jeans or inside the belt loop without it being obvious she is packing heat she is 100lbs and 5'6" so this could be a challenge. Callibers considered so far 22, 25, and 32

We live in a area near quite a few creeps e.g: sex offenders and the usual crazies and she doesn't feel safe alone here. She has taken a self defense class at college but she doubts her abilities in that field so any help in that area is a big bonus.

thanks

2. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Perhaps an admin can move this to Self Defense thread....

I wonder, is MACE out of the question for your wife? It may very well do more to protect her than a .25 or .32 mini pocket pistol....

3. Nicholai

Nicholai Guest

sorry I didn't see the defense thread.

I have thought about mace and or pepper spray in the past in fact she does have a small bottle of mace she keeps in her purse sometimes. I figured it might instill a heightened sense of security. She has been shooting for quite a while though not nearly as avidly as me or you but she knows her way around them.

4. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

...well then, to answer your original question:

Without knowing her hand size, preferred grip style, etc....

I think you would be hard pressed to fins anything comparable to a Kahr Arms PM9....

...but if that is still too large for her to carry, and because Seecamps are on the long wait list, maybe an NAA Guardian .32?

SeeCamp does offer this handy size comparison chart.

These have been getting good reviews and are a little easier on the pocket book as well!!!

Or, throw all that out the window, and see if this helps you decide!!!!

Good Luck!!!

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I believe babj summed it up nicely. I think the ideal setup for a petite woman would be spray on the keychain and a pistol in the purse (the kahr is an excellent recommendation - perhaps also see keltec). It's a good idea to have the spray in hand and ready to go while moving through a parking lot, etc., and if she knows something is up she can put her hand on the pistol. Otherwise, I think she could employ the OC faster than she could a pistol, and the pistol would make a good fall-back option if she had already sprayed an attacker and was trying to get away.

6. nalioth

nalioth New Member

I would like to point out that MACE is a synthetic chemical designed for use on healthy military age men and women. It has been shown to be less than effective on animals, sick people (a head cold will protect you, in some cases) and folks under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

A second point on MACE is that it degrades over time (even if you never spray it) and so after a while, if you have to use it, you end up with funky smelling hair spray.

I always recommend pepper spray, as it works on anything with mucous membranes (on crack or not) and it won't go bad if you don't ever use it. I also recommand that if you ever do spray your pepper cannister, to buy a new cannister. (buy two cans and use one fpr practice, if you must)

I'd like to add the Kel-Tec P-32 to the list for consideration. It's light, polymer and .32 caliber.

7. Nicholai

Nicholai Guest

I like the idea of having both pepper spray and something extra in case it gets hairy. I have looked as bobcats and tomcats and suchlike but I will be at the store this weekend looking around. I have looked at a taurus model 22 that didn't look too bad for size and prettyness (for my wifes enjoyment hahaha) but I am not sure how far I trust the 22 with misfires and suchlike. I am not too worried about the power involved with the 22 just it's reliability, I am sure someone makes a premium 22 cartige that is trustable. Also the 22 would be good for plinking and suchlike. But realistically as a defense gun I would prefer a 25, 32 or 380 for either cary or defense against intruders of the household while I am away.

8. DKHAN

DKHAN Guest

Small frame revolvers are good for beginners.
    Small autos lay flat and you sometimes hunt for the handle,
    depending on how carried. Tough on belt,worse in bag/off body carry.
    Revos bulge out because of cylinder width and make f/easier grab.
    As always,perfect practice w/auto,how to clear etc.
    Revos go bang if you pull trigger,if not pull it again.
    Depending on hand size and experience consider dao semi auto.
    All the benes of revo but faster reloads if you go w/hammer
    fired vs striker fired. I like second strike capability myself.
    Yes I've carried my Steyr,after much practice.
    Previous I carried 6946 and 92D. Not expensive,hide well (6'3")
    would not cry too much if it sat in evidence locker in aftermath.
    Probably too big f/those of,ahem,smaller size. (Ok I'm 300+ too
    so I can hide my 1911 well also).
    Hope this helps.
    P.S. Women are also make better first time shooters and students
    ,so basic training will go along way to make her more confident
    in her personal safety.
    Hate to say bad things about other ideas...
    Pepper spray works on most people,some others not so well.
    Personal experience w/OC f/6 years on street.
    One or two shots will make my nose run and I might sneeze.
    3 or 4 and I will have problems w/breathing and vision.
    We had one guy pass out f/one spray that hit him in the chest.
    3 of us hosed down a 302 w/no effect,took 6 of us to cuff him,
    and we all were hurting afterwards.

9. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Thank you for the clarification.

I actually meant to say pepper spray. Thats what my FFl carries and sells a lot of it.

He did a demonstration one day outside the shop. Less than 1 second of squirt into the air, and then those who dared carefully moved towards the cloud...

Pepper Spray is where its at!!!!

:stupid:

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 is as small a pistol caliber as I would trust with my life or my loved ones.
    [​IMG]

For me the Kel-Tec PF-9 single-stack 9mm is flat and hides well in a pants pocket.
    [​IMG]

11. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I'll toss another anecdote on the pile...

I tested my fox labs out on my patio the other day... As soon as I verified that it worked, I shut the screen door and retreated inside. I spent some time in another room and reentered the room by the patio door a few minutes later and spent the next 30 minutes with a running nose and coughing A LOT. It creates a sort-of itchy feeling in your throat...
    I made sure to shut the glass sliding door after getting that whiff of what had diffused outside and made it's way past the screen door and decided to spend the rest of my lunch elsewhere.

I've huffed (by accdent, of course) Sabre Red (OC [but just 2 million SHU] & CS), and while it wasn't pleasant, it sure wasn't as bad as the Fox Labs stuff - I'm a real believer in their products now. :lol: :oops: :D

I do recommend that anyone carrying it at least purposefully catch some blowback at some point under controlled conditions, just so they know what to expect. Cone does a decent job, but a strong gust of wind is going to give the operator a taste too. :sick:

12. nalioth

nalioth New Member

Some perspective on the P3AT

[​IMG]

I suggested the P-32 ove the P3AT as it seems to have less recoil to me. Guess it depends on how recoil sensitive the shooter is whether you go with the .32 or the .380.

13. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

I think the pf-9 would suite your needs the bersa .380 is an option. I was looking for the same thing, but came to the conclusion I must have at least a 9mm for personal defense. keltec, bersa, firestorm. get a 9mm.

14. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

The NAA Guardian in .32 NAA has a lot of nasty penetration in a very small package. Ammo is expensive. She will NOT enjoy shooting it.

A J-frame LadySmith is hard to beat.

If you are serious enough to be looking at a gun, why fool around with anything of .32, .25, or .22 caliber?

Keeping the roscoe in a typical purse is a BAD idea.

15. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Ummm - 8.3" in gel, AFTER popping through cloth. It's going to be even more shallow in bare gel... Definitely not a big penetrator... :think:

The Bersa .380 is a great gun, but it's almost a little too big for pocket carry even for me (works decent in cargo pants, not-so-great in jeans). It would be an excellent purse pistol and is a joy to shoot (great trigger, low recoil), but not the best choice if you need something tiny...

16. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Oops. I stand corrected. With CorBon it has lots of nasty velocity for a true mousegun (1200) and adequate penetration. Expansion is usually .5 and upwards. The things I saw indicated better performance than most .380s.

Ben

17. SharkNet

SharkNet Guest

If money is no object, the Rohrbaugh looks like a perfect combination of pocket pistol and 9mm. I talked to a guy who carries one on his ankle yesterday. He says he sometimes forgets it's there. Apparently, it had quite a good kick to it for the first 400 rounds, but after that calmed down. He credits it to breaking in the spring.

18. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

I personally feel the Kahr P9/PM9 is superior in nearly every aspect to the Rohrbaugh R9 9mm.....

...and they are available without a wait....

19. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

i heard excellent things about the kahr, I was asking if it was worth the money compared to a keltec and the gun-shop manager said it is 4 times the gun as keltec for twice as much. He has one, i handled it, feels good.

20. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

I frequently have a Kahr PM40 on me, it carries well and also has been an excellent performer on the range.