Steyr Club Forums banner
2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Inazone 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am strongly considering an M9-A1. A few years ago, I switched over my handgun collection to Glocks for simplicity. I've been looking for something similar to a Glock and I think the M9-A1 fits the bill.

Before making the jump, I do have a few questions.

1) I saw a post about Steyr lowering the price of their handguns. Does the $539 price at Budsgunshop reflect this new lower price? I swear I saw Steyrs for sale a few years ago for around $400-450...

2) Has anyone ordered an M9-A1 from Buds recently? Are they sending out the new production models or older models?

3) When did Steyr start shipping the 17rnd mags with M9-A1s?

4) One thing that scares me is all of the issues about FTEs. Do the new production guns have this problem? If I happen to get an older model, does replacing the extractor fix the issue completely?

#3 ·
539 seems high. I think that is old price.

Some of the 400 dollar steyrs are the grey market ones your talking about.

Some guys have extractor issues with them, but a quick fix from SAI corrects it.
Not all of them have extractor issues.

#4 ·
Actually, the $400 Mx-A1s were the CDNN specials. I first saw them at $339, but passed, then $369 but passed, finally I bought at $389. After that they went to $399 and disappeared. Talyn's comments are accurate about the support from SAI, but call, don't email.

#5 ·
As recently as two months ago, Cabela's wasl still selling M9s from the PW Arms batch for $399, although this was supposedly a sale price with a regular price of $429 or maybe even more. I never saw them higher than $399. However, the few that I've seen online have been closer to $500 and didn't specify if they were the PW or SAI version. On one hand, my PW Arms M9-A1 has been more or less problem-free other than a couple of FTFs and FTEs early on, and I feel like a higher price than the $399 I paid would have been justified, but on the other hand, I get the impression that the higher prices are due to perceived rarity of an increasingly popular brand of gun.

The only visible differences that I have yet to hear of are the addition of the roll pin and the increase in magazine capacity to 17 rounds. No idea if there has been any quantifiable info on differences in reliability between the PW Arms and SAI versions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.