Steyr Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today 10-03-12 I went to my local (New to the area)gun shop and found a pre-owned M9-A1. Or what I thought/ was told was an m9A1. I now believe it is an M9. Anyway, I traded in my 2 week old walther PPS and put the Steyr on layaway( gonna pick it up on payday). I knew the grip wasn't the latest model and it didnt have the pin in the slide but the guy there(Who said he was a Steyr expert)Said this was a gen 3 model. And there on the slide it says trussville AL. So I thought he must be right. But I'm looking at the picture from their website and I realize this gun has the old proprietary style rails. So what the heck generation is this gun? If I go back tomorrow will they let me break down the gun and look for a date on the slide? If so, can someone tell me what years are for which models? If it is a gen I do not want, will they give me my walther back? Even on their website it's listed as an m9 a1. Lastresortguns.com under handguns/ used. image.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
That is the first gen M9. The A1 would have a standard rail.
Nothing wrong with that gun at all. In fact those had the safety that is only on the European models.
Only thing about it is if you want to add lights and lasers an adapter is needed.
If that guy says he is a Steyr Guru then he dont know his rear from a hole in the ground.

If I didn't already swap frames I would offer to swap the lower for the current style only to get the extra safety. There may be members who would do this for that same reason. All the tops are interchangeable, just keep it together.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Nothing wrong with that gun at all. In fact those had the safety that is only on the European models.
Only thing about it is if you want to add lights and lasers an adapter is needed.
If that guy says he is a Steyr Guru then he dont know his rear from a hole in the ground.

If I didn't already swap frames I would offer to swap the lower for the current style only to get the extra safety. There may be members who would do this for that same reason. All the tops are interchangeable, just keep it together.
While your helping him with that, let me check out that GB while your back is turned. hehehe. :p
I need to stop obsessing over the GB.

Great info though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Awesome. Thank you so much for the info. Also, if anyone is interested in a gen 1 frame, please let me know ASAP. I do not want this style and prefer the current generation frames. If anyone wants to switch, I will go ahead and buy this pistol on the understanding that whoever reply's with a yes, will swap out there current gen frame with me. Please let me know before I cancel my order with this gun shop.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
It's not the frame you are concerned about, it's the slide with the roll pin and bearing. The M9-A1 slide on the M grip makes a great weapon, of course so does the M alone, as well as the M9-A1 alone. You can't lose. The new slide makes a good trigger better, that's all.

The M has the manual safety in the trigger guard, which you push up into the upper part of the weapon to release. It's only on offshore weapons now, no longer imported into the US. This feature was sought by a member here not too long ago, but I think they got the M grip they wanted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts