Confused M9A1 14 round vs. 15 round mag springs

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by kraigster414, Nov 18, 2007.

1. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Call me slow (I read as much as I could about mag springs on the forum) but I am still confused. I just took apart one of the two 15 round mags that came with my new M9A1 (on the left). I then compared it to the 14-round mag I just purchased from CDNN (on the right) marked, "Restricted Law Enforcement Govt Use and Export Only 9/14/94, GSI Trussville, AL." As you can see the 15-round mag has a much longer magazine spring and since I have experienced some failures of the slide to stay open on the last round (though I didn't check to see which mag), I am wondering if this has something to do with it. Is this normal? If so, what to do? Spring experts please help, thanks.

[​IMG]

2. Polymer Proselyte

Polymer Proselyte New Member

3. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Thanks I did. What I understand (I think) is that I have a too short spring in my 15-round mag correct? And that I probably need to replace with the same length spring shown in the 14-round mag correct? Thanks.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

That's exactly my understanding of the problem. Some "California" mag springs, which are for only 10 rounds, apparently accidentally got used in the 15-round mags and tend to cause feeding problems.

Send the short spring, or the whole mag, to SAI and they'll either swap the spring or the whole mag for free.

5. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

As usual, thanks 'Net. I am calling Jack Riddle tomorrow. How the h--- do these things happen? :?

6. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Make sure you call before sending anything in...

...last I heard, they did not have new springs in the USA yet....

...I have several to be replaced myself.....

7. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

'Will do. It's number one on my things to do tomorrow. I can't believe though that something as often requested as magazine springs are not available in this country. That's just not right and for life of me, I can't figure it out. This is the number one reason folks I think are reluctant to take the Steyr plunge - the hassle in getting replacement parts (I know, I know I'm preaching to the choir). Sorry, but knowing that my new gun came with magazine springs that were designed for a different magazine, really irks me. And if your gun is intended for carry, it is cause for serious concern. I'll get off my soap box now.

Go Redskins! :)

8. monsteyr

monsteyr Guest

As of last Wednesday, SAI still did not have the springs. I'm glad that someone made the distinction that the CDNN mags were the ones with the correct springs. After reading the sticky I went and ordered new mags from SAI in the hope they would have the proper spring - and they don't .. just fyi.

9. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

Yes, it's ironic that in my case, the bad ones were the two 15-round mags included with the gun. I will call Jack tomorrow but as you said, I anticipate a wait. In the meantime, I ordered another 14 round (even though their website says 15 round) and two 10-round mags from CDNN (the latter for the range) plus a 15-round mag from Outdoor Super Store just to compare. I never thought that magazine springs would be a problem in a brand new gun. This is a first for me.

Just to be on the safe side I would advise anyone that recently purchased an M9A1 from Davidson's or CDNN with two 15-round mags included, that you take the mags apart and examine the springs. You should have a longer spring than the one shown on the left side of my photo.

10. TGO45

TGO45 Guest

Hello all. Sorry that my first post has to echo what kraigster414 has said. I got my first M9A1 two days ago and have been unable to get to the local range because of a (really) bad bout of arthritis. I too have just checked out the mags that came with the gun and oh-oh they're the short version springs. Being a long time user of the Steyr GB (love that gun) and then having handled the M9A1 I was delighted to find it fit my small hands to perfection but this 'small' matter of receiving a brand new gun with the wrong magazine springs really does shake one's confidence more than a little. If they could make a simple mistake like that ... so my mind goes ... what else may be wrong that's lurking inside my new gun waiting to rear it's head at just the wrong time. I was going to sell off my Gen3 Glock 17 but since it's the only other handgun I own in 9mm I'm really glad I didn't. After more years than I care to remember having 100 percent reliability with my G17 (the only Glock I ever really shot well) and the same from my GB my confidence in the M9 is shaken ... as I've said I just cannot help but wonder what other 'simple mistake' may have been made. Being way on the wrong side of 60 years old (feels like 600+ most days) I still carry a full size 1911 and sometimes a S&W 457 that used to be my BUG and neither have ever missed a beat from day one without any tweaking. Still, the M9 IS a fine design and I'll be contacting Jeff Monday to see about the spring situation and I don't mind waiting a while until they get into the country. Steyr is getting it together again in the US and I will support them as they do so - period. So much good has been said about the M series that I know my new M9 deserves time in my hands to prove itself ... after 2 or 3,000 (or more) trouble free rounds down range I know I'll feel that I can depend upon it for CC. Until then though it's going to be a range gun only.

Thanks for a great site and all the good information here ... I'm grateful to be a part of it.

TGO45 (The TGO-1 is my last remaining custom 1911 - bought 2003 before the attack of the evil health vultures :)

11. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Just another FYI for everyone:

The magazines were not manufactured by Steyr.... They were sub-contracted out....

I know they have Steyr name on them, but this error is not all Steyr error.

I would not let something this simple shake my faith in such a fine weapon.

Besides, the only Issues I recall due to the 'short springs' are failure to lock slide open after last round and magazine rattles when fully loaded....

Cheers

12. TGO45

TGO45 Guest

Hi babj615, please don't get me wrong, I would never knock Steyr ... heck I think I must have been the only guy who bought one of their straight pull 16 lug bolt rifles years ago and like I said I LOVE the GB ... it has never missed a beat no matter what the ammo diet. I spent a lot of years in Europe and can tell you that Steyr Mannlicher are not just highly thought of there, they are considered top notch guns and rightly so. It was my confidence that was a bit shaken - not my faith in Steyr since I know they'll do it right - just as they always do. I know that the mags were sub-contracted out just as they are by so many other gun manufacturers but I guess my point was that I wouldn't have expected a firm as good as Steyr to send out 'packages' that had not been fully QC checked. FWIW I had the same happen with a Springfield Micro loaded a few years ago - the gun was sent out by a dealer with the 'wrong' mags ... I contacted SA and Deb told me the mags had been changed slightly since that gun was sent out - the position on the indent on the follower - or should that read updent (??) had been moved. They sent out new mags right away (SA after sales is superb by the way) and no more problems. So Steyr aren't the only ones to 'miss' a mag issue. One thing I'm sure about is that Steyr will address the issue quickly which is a lot more than I can say for some makers of 'top end and expensive handguns' out there. I'm not a gun snob - if I can get the same reliability from a $300 gun as from a $3,000 gun I'll buy the $300 gun thank you very much :) The Steyrs are fantastic value for money ... and I didn't say for the money ... they are just great value top quality guns. I'm just waiting for the 45 version !!!

Best to all. TGO45.

13. kraigster414

kraigster414 Guest

I hear ya bab, but nevertheless Steyr has to take full responsibility for the spring screw-up whether all roads lead to the subcontractor or not. It is the kind of thing that did not require performance testing or specialized expertise to detect. The error is immediately visible to the human eye even to this layman's visible eye. The spirng is just plain too short. This snafu has not shaken my faith in Steyr but it is cause for concern and since it could cause a malfunction in a SHTF situation, personally I think Steyr should send out a public advisory. Just my 2-centavos.