Confession...

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by ikorman, Dec 24, 2006.

1. ikorman

ikorman New Member

OK, this has been bothering me for like 2 weeks now and I have to share my shame. About 4 months ago, me and a buddy wondered into a huge gun store and I noticed a familiar shape of a Styer M-series in one of the cases. Upon closer inspection, it ended up being a minty M357-A1 with two mags, case and manual. The pistol looked like someone fired 10 shots and sold it. Now... I have to share the sticker price...

OK, here it comes...

$299

Ok, so I looked around like I stole something and whipped out my plastic money substitute and 10 minutes later I was holding it close to my heart as we are walking towards the car.

"What the heck is in this box?" asks my buddy.

He just spent his time at the store drooling over some 10mm Glock and was upset he couldn't get it: it wasnt a Gen-3 and he wants to hang lights from every pistol he owns.

So, on the way home in the car, I am thinking "Why did I spend the dough I didn't have? Why did I get a 357Sig handgun? I hate stocking more than 5 calibers of ammo so I only allow myself to buy 9mm, 32ACP and 22LR handguns!"

So (here comes the dumb moment) I turn to my friend and offer to sell the gun to him: "Oh it can't replace a 10mm but it's a nice hot cartridge and sights are cool as hell, there is a rail and the price is only $300!!!"

DUH! He bought it as soon as I said "RAIL".

When we took it out to the range some time after the shameful incident too place, I realized how much of a gun this really is. NO DAMN RECOIL! Sweetest thing I ever shot.

I have been begging my friend to sell it back to me every day since we went shooting. Nah-ah! He ain't stupid. I am stupid.

I thought spilling my thoughts would make me feel better. It didn't...

Please feel free to offer your M357-A1 to me for $300. Or your M9-A1. I promise I will sell my kids before I sell anything Steyr.

P.S. I own an S9 and she is so lonely!

2. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

That is a heartbreaking story......... :!: ](*,)

3. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

The M357-A1 is Awesome! It's helped make me a big fan of 357sig. :D

4. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

I once sold a '69 mustang mach 1 because I didn't have the $ to restore it, and I was in debt due to a dishonest friend. The worst part is I see it around town every now and then and the guy did a so so job. He mostly just made it run and painted it. It kills me to think of what that car could be, I hated to see it just sit when I had it, but I hate to see it not at it's full glory... #-o If Santa is real then someday I will get it back [-o<

5. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

[-X
    My $299 M9 is now my CCW gun over all the other guns I have.

6. WorldPax

WorldPax Guest

Ultimately you have done a good thing. You should get your friend to agree that if he decides he no longer wants the gun, he must sell it back to you.

7. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Active Member

XJ,
    I feel your pain, had a 69 Mach1 I had to part with (many years ago) also due to lack of funds for repair. I was lucky though, after it was sold, never saw it again
    One day, I hope to have another one myself.

To get back on topic, I wish I would find a deal like that on a .357sig :cry:
    Though maybe by the time I have the "extra" money, Steyr will have released the .45M/S :twisted:

8. 73sbVert

73sbVert Member

Not to attempt another thread hijack, but is there a real possibility that Steyr will be coming out with a .45 cal? Or are they going to stick with the .40 being their "big gun"?

:?: :?: :?:

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

Maybe we'll find out at the Orlando Shot Show.............. (45cal)......

10. SELFDEFENSE

.45, .45,.45.... [-o< 8-[

11. 73sbVert

73sbVert Member

Reason I asked earlier, and I think at least one person on this forum has one, how does the Colt 1991 (not 1911) feel compared to the Steyr M40?

A friend of mine has a 1991, and said that they took all the good stuff about the 1911, and corrected some of the flaws, so the 1991 is a better gun all around. I have shot his before and it felt fine, but I don't know enough about shooting to know what to look for specifically.

Anybody else on here have more experience and can give an objective opinion about both?
    I would presume that any Steyr .45 would be very comparable to the .40, just slightly larger caliber. If that is the case, what would be the benefit (if any) to own both?

Sorry for all the silly questions, but I feel that you guys are the gurus when it comes to these!

Thanks!

12. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

It's like Lays potato chips, ya can't eat just one............. :lol: But the 45cal is a favorite caliber for many of us.....it shoots deferently then other calibers (all calibers have they're own distinct feel) and some would argue its a better self D round then a 40 or anything else.......As many know on this forum, I'm not a 40 fan, so I would change it anyway.........a 45 would be a great addition to the Steyr family........ \:D/

13. flyandscuba

flyandscuba Guest

ikorman,

If you really want the M357-A1 back....with the most sober face possible, inform your friend that you've discovered the transaction between you two was illegal -- a straw sale -- and that he must return the pistol to you and you must give him the $300 back.

Not sure the rule of thumb in terms of time of possession follwing a purchase before you can sell to another, but the case truly could be made that your indication if "yes" on the ATF form in the box "are you the actual purchaser of this gun" was not exactly true...

Just one way to "fix" your error... :wink:

14. ikorman

ikorman New Member

That would be total BS if I said I wasn't the actual purchaser. I fully intended to own that gun at the time of sale.

Also, there is no rule about how long I need to keep a firearm before I sell it.

15. SELFDEFENSE