Complete M-A1 teardown and assembly instructions with pics

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by Corbin Dallas, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Corbin Dallas

Corbin Dallas New Member

So, since this board doesn't have a good set of instructions on how to clean the lower part of your Steyr M-A1 (9/40/357), I sat down with my camera and made some real nice ones for you to use. Enjoy!

Disassembly of M-A1 frame

Assembly of M-A1 frame

Disassembly/Assembly of M-A1 slide

After reviewing my process, I'm going to make some changes to the documents. I found another way to remove the extractor that does not damage the slide, but potentially could launch the spring and pin. When updated, I'll let you know it's done. For now, these work.

2. NicoX

NicoX New Member

Really helpfull, thx!

but necessary to have the re-assembly to do it..

:p

3. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

Very Nice!!!

I am looking 4ward to seeing the reassembly page!!!

8) 8)

4. mugdava

mugdava Premium Member

Hey Corbin Dallas!

You make it look so easy a caveman could do it! :shock:
    _______
    mugdava

5. Corbin Dallas

Corbin Dallas New Member

I'm just in the middle of my midterms, but I'll get the re-assembly done as soon as I get a couple of minutes to take the pix and write the process.

Glad you guys approve.

6. Corbin Dallas

Corbin Dallas New Member

Ok, reassembly done. I needed a break anyways.

If there is something you would like me to add, feel free to let me know.

7. madecov

madecov Active Member

Slide dis assembly would complete the set

8. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Corbin Dallas, you rock!

Even an all-thumbs Luddite like moi can follow directions like that.

I'm such a klutz the most feared words in the English language for me are "Some Assembly Required." Help!

HTG, I broke off a light bulb the last time I tried to change one. The stub's still up there in the hall closet. :mrgreen:

9. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But really I wish this was up Sunday morning!!!!!

You did a great job thanks...

10. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Corbin*

Great work, Dude, your efforts are very much appreciated. And, in the years ta come, new SC members lookin' for guides and tutorials to keep their Steyr auto loaders as trick and near 100% reliable as possible will have this info to draw upon. There are quite a few SC members who have gone above and beyond to help provide a knowledgeable and useful Steyr firearm database. Its largely thru their generous natures and communication skills that Steyrclub auto loader owners are achieving confidence and performance in their firearms. You have joined that group of givers. <shrug>

OK, since ya asked, how bouta "how ta get the fuckin' mag release spring the fuck outta there, peacibly" guide? :shock: Jeff Reece at SAI said it was easy. :shock: But, I reckon he doesn't have arthritis in his hands, and he has spare fuckin' springs when one goes fuckin' ballistic and vanishes into the fuckin' twighlitezone? :twisted: Whataya say, Kid? :shock: Ya got any new tricks for old wolves? :shock: Give! Give til ya fuckin' bleed! :twisted: Thanx again, Dude...You Rock! :p

Wulf <-- tends ta over do it a little, sometimes :shock:

11. opto_isolator

opto_isolator New Member

Now all we need are parts available to the general public!! :roll:

Good post!

12. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Definitely one of the best posts we've had in awhile - we all greatly appreciate the time and work that went into putting this together. 8)

13. Corbin Dallas

Corbin Dallas New Member

Wulf, ask and ye shall receive...

Let me know how it works out for you.

14. Corbin Dallas

Corbin Dallas New Member

Opto, you bring up a good point and I'm sure Steyr will release parts as soon as they can.

However, I want to interject my own experience repairing Glocks.

1) Not everyone can properly repair a firearm.
    2) The internet makes everyone "THINK" they can do it.
    3) The Steyr is not a Glock in MANY ways.

I have seen people attempt to teardown and clean their Glocks only to have them contact me to fix the problem. There is a specific sequence that needs to be followed for all weapons per the manufacturer. Glock, Steyr, S&W, HK, they all have their own way.

I posted this information because there were too many "Do it this way" type informational postings (here and otherwise) that were completely incorrect.

Now, with all that being said... Let's say you were the CEO of Steyr America Inc. and you saw people on the internet "attempting" to clean/repair/upgrade your product, only to make major mistakes and need to send it back for your techs to work on some backyard mechanics version of gunsmithing...

How would you address the problem?

You say:

A) No way! You attempted to make repairs yourself and screwed up your gun. You will have to pay for any repairs.

B) If there is a problem with your weapon, Steyr will fix it no charge. All you need to do is ship the weapon to us.

Until Steyr can provide factory training for armorers like myself and many others who are interested, I think they are doing the right thing by retaining control of the internal parts in order to keep the quality of their product high.

-Adam

15. midtnshooter

midtnshooter Premium Member

Bravo My New Friend !!

Corbin, now your new best friend, can I use your truck to move ?! :lol:

That was a very well design tutorial. It was exactly what I was looking for. I have not had the chance to tear my M40 apart. Is the mag release button polymere or metal ? I want to add an extended mag release to it. But I am afraid to drill and tap it ,if the button can't handle it. Any help?

P.S. Are you using Dreamweaver ?

Thanks the great layout,

MTS

16. Corbin Dallas

Corbin Dallas New Member

MTS - The mag release is potmetal I believe. I'm not sure about drilling and tapping it for an extended release.

Thanks for the kind words, no you may not use my truck... :eek:

Yes, I have an older version of DM (3) that I still use for simplicity reasons.

17. West01

West01 New Member

"We are not worthy!"

Thank you Corbin, this is a fantastic post. Very informative and great attention to details.

Very appreciated.

True indeed.

Thank You Again Corbin.

West01

:D

18. steveinaz

steveinaz Guest

Great job man. Crisp clear pics and descriptions. Thank you!

19. PeskyGee

PeskyGee Guest

Great post. thank you very much.

20. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member