Clikcing/slide out of battery mag follower gouges

Discussion in 'Maintenance / Tweaks / Technical Difficulties / So' started by \JMiller, May 14, 2013.

1. \JMiller

\JMiller New Member

I just finished up doing a little work on my M9-A1, trying to deal with the slide clicking, out of battery issue, and found something interesting. I also have issue with rapping, not slamming, or hitting hard, the mag base plate when the pistol is cocked, and the slide backs out of battery. I removed the striker, polished it, both outside and inside, polished the guide rod, cleaned everything up, lubricated, and reassembled, and nothing has changed. I did notice a large, deep gouge in the top rear part of the magazine follower, the followers for my M40 mags don't have any gouges, nor do I have any out of battery issues with the .40, the other 9mm mag follower has a smaller gouge in the same location. Upon further tinkering, when the slide goes into battery with the mag inserted, it seems the slide is riding up onto the magazine follower, causing it to hang up, and with tapping the bottom of the m=baseplate, the slide sort of pops upward, and goes out of battery. These mags do have extended base plates, which are marked "plus", I am going to order a couple mags from CDNN this weekend, and see if the mags, might be the problems. I want an S series for carry, but, if the issues cannot be wrung out, I will have to rethink that, maybe check out a Caracal C.
    Edited to add, checked, the mags are 17 rounders.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

Hey miller, sorry to hear about the issues with your M9-A1, hopefully, you've found the issue.
    I adore my M9-A1, she's a sewing machine and eats everything I put in the mags. (It's a FrankenSteyr)
    Out of curiosity, there have been some issues with some of the Steyr 17rd mags, have you put the mags (empty) in and racked the slide several times???? It seems the follower height is to long and requires a little "milling" to be set to the correct height.
    On a side note and I hate to be THAT guy, bbbut if you decide to get rid of those 17rd mags ill take em off your hands.

3. \JMiller

\JMiller New Member

Thanks for the offer to buy my "defective" mags but, I'm going to work the followers down to proper spec., and I have some 15 rounders on order to compare.

4. JMJNet

JMJNet Member

I had this issue.

What you need to do is with an empty new mag, rack the gun a few times till it goes forward smoothly.
    That should chip/slice some small layer of plastic out of the follower.

After that, there is no problem.

5. gypsyrock

gypsyrock New Member

I'm going to guess from the problem you are having, you have one of the newer versions with the roll pin below the rear sight on the slide. I had one that just before going into battery, would hang up. The roller is supposed to ride over the striker to smooth things out, but mine would catch on the back edge of the striker. This mostly only occurred when running a suppressor, however the catch was noticeable all the time. If this is your problem, the guys at SteyrArms.com may have a solution for you. My solution was to only buy pre-roll pin models. I have 4, and I do love my Steyrs. I know this may not have been encouraging, but I hope it might be helpful.

6. \JMiller

\JMiller New Member

the 15 round mags have arrived, and the issue isn't as bad as with the 17 rounders. The folowers are different, and there is only slight marking on the 15s, compared to the gouges on the 17s. I will clean up the gouges, and take a little more off, and get the M9 to the range tomorrow. Hopefully it runs as good as my M40 does, love these Styers.

7. EarlyBronco

EarlyBronco New Member

Good to hear!
    A quick and easy way to adjust those 17rd mag followers is to just put the empty mags in your M and rack the slide several times, you'll know when your done by the slide getting smoother and easier to rack over and over again.
    As already mentioned, if the problem persists, then your roller may be the culprit.

8. \JMiller

\JMiller New Member

It looks like it is the roller. Had it out to the range this afternoon, no issues, it ate Federal red box, and Herters packed S&B without a hiccup, but, the issue was there when I tapped the bottom of the mag to make sure it was fully seated when the slide is in battery. My M40 is my primary, I can live with the M9's minor issue.