Steyr Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
As an aside, I have probably a dumb newbie question:

I understand it is accepted practice to always run the cleaning brush/pads one way only down the barrel, but is it the same as bullet travel or opposite, or does it really matter? I can't remember! I've been using opposite, but I can change that!

My practice has been to:

1) Disassemble the gun to it's four component parts (Slide, grip, barrel, spring)
2) Inspect them for any obvious cracking or breaking
3) Run the brass brush dry through the barrel opposite of bullet travel
4) Run small pads with (some, not soaking) Break Free applied through the barrel the same way, repeating, using new pads each time until there is no residue left on the pad.
(I've cut up a few t-shirts into small ~ 2" square pads which seem to work perfectly!)
5) Apply Break Free to other pads and wipe down all exposed surfaces in the receiver/grip assy, the slide, spring, etc. until no more residue is left.
6) Check that a thin film of Break Free is left on the surfaces of the gun, touching up where necessary.
7) Reassemble gun and cycle the action several times with trigger activated to ensure assembly was correct.
8) Reload magazine and put into mag well, ready for action (after racking the slide to load chamber)

Does this sound like a reasonable method? It's one I adhere to every time I shoot the gun. [It should be noted that between both guns I own (the other being a KelTec P11 9mm), I have never had a faulty function, no FTFs, no FTEs, nothing!]

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program, I'm off to work, check back later!
Paul

· Registered
232 Posts
Thanks BT! I appreciate the help! I knew there was a reason for one direction or the other, just couldn't remember what it was!

I used BreakFree for all the cleanings on all the weapons on the ship when I was part of the security force (all 6 ships!)

Hopefully I'll be going to the range tomorrow eve, if work doesn't hold me up! First time in about 3 months!! Eeeek! I hope I remember how to hold it...
:lol:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.