Clean innards before shooting new M357-A1?

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by Netfotoj, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I've read some posts here from guys who stripped down their MA1s and cleaned and lubed them before firing. But is that really necessary?

I got my new M357-A1 NIB just before Christmas, but had to hit the road before I could do anymore than open the box and admire it. I have looked down in the innards with a light and it appears to be perfectly clean and dry, no grease visible.

I thought I read some posts about cleaning grease from the slide, et c. before shooting, but mine doesn't appear to have any grease. I just got back in town and plan to take my new baby to the range tomorrow, but am I committing a big no-no if I don't strip her down and clean her first?

And one more question. I've heard references to a lube called "Slide Glide" here in a post or two. Is that a generic lube term or the name of a product? I haven't been able to find such a product in stores or websites.

As for whether I should strip before shooting, I'll check back before I go shooting tomorrow to find out if I'm about to screw up my new beauty.

2. xjrat

xjrat Premium Member

I don't know if it's a BIG no-no but I did take mine apart before the first shoot. The barrel look good but the rails and stuff under the slide did have some gunk from the factory. I also wanted to get a good idea of what made it tick, and make sure all the innards were there before hand. plus I am just a geek and like to take stuff apart anyway...

3. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Necessary - no
    Can't hurt - yes

4. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

No........field stripe it, clean the barrel, oil well and go shooting...... if there is a problem in there you'll know, but I don't think you need to go that far.

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

necessary?... no BUT

the factory covers all the non tennifered parts with a grease to inhibit rust in transit and this "grease" quickly turns to crud. especially when you start dumping burnt powder and brass flakes into your sear mechanism, with lots of springs and lots of crud. your firing pin/ firing pin guide rod may also have grease on them, and this may cause quirky inconsistent trigger pull. the mag relase spring will have grease on it and may cause it to feel notchy.

so, by removing the sub frame and squirting it down with a good solvent (i like wd-40 for breaking down grease) followed by a heavy lube with a light wipe down (i like rem-oil and steyr's like lots of lube relative to glocks) you will ensure that your steyr is functioning at it's peak right off the bat.

my .02

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Breakfree, Breakfree, Breakfreeeeeeee! :p All my semiauto's love it. Spray on--wipe back off. The more ya use it the better it gets. Fills in all the little microscopic pits. Just wipe it off again and it stays where its 'posed ta. Nothin' easier. 8) Rem's OK, but IMHO, Breakfree is better. Triflow works good, too...when ya can find it. <shrug> Just spray on wipe off. Nuff said. :roll:

Wulf

7. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr Active Member

:roll: Wulf, luv the avatar! :roll:
    Wizards is good flick, gonna have to break out my copy and watch it again one of these days!

(Now just wish "Street Fight" would come out on dvd)

As for the OP's question, I'd say field strip it, lube it up and shoot it.
    Might not cause any problems if you didn't, but why take the chance, or have to deal with the frustration if it does.

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

+1 on Wulf's comment. There are fancy expensive lubes and cleaners that do a good job, but olde cheap Breakfree gets the job done.

9. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

TriFlow easy find at bicycle shops.............BreakFree without the CLP ??