Chrome slide... info

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by bitten by the M9, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Was wanting to know if the shooters who have had the slide chromed would post a pic. Never seen one. Also what did it run and where to look would be great. Thanks

2. jetsiphon

jetsiphon New Member

Or you could send it to Robar for a NP3 coating.......

If you haven't looked into NP3, I'd really recommend it. Not only is it nice and shiny like the chrome or hard chrome, but it's also self lubricating. I may send mine off for it.

3. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

Link please..

4. Yes,,, a link would be great.

5. squirrelpotpie

squirrelpotpie Premium Member

here are a couple of NP3 related links for those folks that don't have access to google

http://www.robarguns.com/np3.htm
    http://www.robarguns.com/specials.htm - current price for a pistol is around $285+
    http://www.coatingtechnologiesinc.com/s ... np3pf.html

and a link to a similar discussion on another forum

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/arc ... 31263.html

and a less expensive alternative coating that has gotten some good reviews

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

Paying for a fancy finish is like getting chrome wheels for your car - its mostly for looks and not really necessary.
    A well made and casually maintained firearm will remain functional long after its original owner is gone.

6. tlrpunk

tlrpunk New Member

I had NP3 applied to my EAA Witness .40 and it's like a whole new gun. Top notch folks over at Robar, well worth the money!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Beautiful Job, Ok I think that is where a coulpe of mine will be visiting real soon. Thanks for posting the pics.

8. tlrpunk

tlrpunk New Member

One more pic to drive the point home:
    [​IMG]

I was handling my Witness so much that the blueing was wearing off the frame and slide. I would go to extreme measures to prevent corrosion, bathing it in oil every time I put it away. When it started to develop some minor surface rust I got fed up and called Robar. 1 month later and it was a OCD gun-nut's dream. Soooooo easy to clean and no rust-anxiety. Plus it looks cool.

I won't buy anything blued ever again, too much worry for me. I'm a fanatical "clean-gun" freak and I tend to worry about things that may not bother others. I still clean and oil the stainless/coated guns just as much as the blued ones.

9. heavymetalmachine

That is sharp!!!

I did like the blue better in the past. Now I have a parkerized 1911 and LOVE it!!

I like a little wear from use and it is holding up nicely.. I keep thinking what I will do when it gets to far gone?? As long as it is taking to happen I will just go Parker again....

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Hey tlrpunk,

How's the trigger on your EAA .40? I'm taking a serious look at a full-size Witness in 10mm or .38 Super, but have never held one or shot one, so I'm looking for all the owner experiences I can get to help me make my decision.

BTW, that Robar chrome sure looks exactly like the Wonder finish that EAA offers. :mrgreen:

11. tlrpunk

tlrpunk New Member

I had a single action only trigger installed and a trigger-job done at the same time. The factory trigger was so-so, I was able to score a 500 during my CCW class with it.

It's a fantastic pistol now, but it took some patience and money to get it there. The first time I shot it (brand new) the slide locked to the rear and wouldn't budge. It turns out the factory failedl to completely mill the barrel during production which caused it to seize. I didn't feel like overnighting it to the factory so I had a gunsmith finish the job for them. After that it ran like a top! Since then I had the trigger done, bevelled the mag-well and did the NP3 thing. It's a great plinker, but it's too heavy to carry. It's my fun gun.

The "wonder-finish" wasn't available when I bought it (1995), and the resale value on these things is terrible, so Robar was the only option I saw. I'm happy with it, although I'd like to convert it to 9mm with a comp for cheaper plinking....

12. jerkface11

jerkface11 Guest

The wonder finish is the same tennifer the steyrs have only without the parkerizing on top of it. I wonder if the parkerizing can be removed to show only the bare tennifer?

13. heavymetalmachine

That seems to be what the M&P guys are doing..

14. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

15. heavymetalmachine

Yup and boy did I come close to one of these instead of the Steyr !!!!!!!

16. jerkface11

jerkface11 Guest

A friend of mine has an M&P feels great in your hand. Takedown is bizarre though you have to reach inside the gun and flip down a little lever in the magwell to take the slide off. I wonder how much it would cost to get the pakerizing blasted off the slide though? As I recall tennifer is tougher than hard chrome or NP3. And if it would come out looking like my witness I'd be VERY happy with it.