Christmas in Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by Netfotoj, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

The sweet wife and I are heading up to Pittsburgh on Tuesday, Dec. 22, arriving about 3 p.m. and staying until Sunday, Dec. 27, for the trip home.

We have a range get-together last summer at the state gamelands range just north of Pittsburgh but considering they have an actual winter in Pittsburgh that's probably not a good option. We'll likely have to use an indoor range but I'm just tossing up these dates for discussion to see if anybody is interested and/or available during that short time window.

BigTaco may or may not be in Pittsburgh during my visit there as he has family here in North Carolina and I haven't contacted him yet. The only indoor range I've used in Pittsburgh is Anthony's, where I went with BT.

If anybody's interested, I'd love to get some Christmas shooting done and I have some new toys to bring, S&W 65-3 K-Frame .357 Magnum, Para P12-45, Colt Cobra .38, maybe even a full-size Para P14-45 by then.

2. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

i'm not sure when i'm leaving town for the holidays but i'm hoping to get some shooting done. most likely on afternoon/evening of the 22nd.

it's always a treat shooting with netfotoj as he always brings a nice mix of guns i'd never get to shoot otherwise.

any steyroids around pittsburgh that week are welcome to join us. we'll figure out a definite time.

3. OffArtist

OffArtist New Member

Hey guys, I'll be getting my full membership at my new gun club (Allegheny Country Rifle Club) tomorrow night, so we could go anytime and shoot at any of the indoor or outdoor ranges there. It's located in Millvale about 10 minutes outside of downtown Pittsburgh proper. BT, I found out that I could sponser you in 6 months once I pick up my membership if you like the joint, AND they have a great lounge with food and a full bar with 2 dollar beers / mixed drinks.

Sound good?

Austin

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Sounds great to me. I'll arrive in Pittsburgh about 1 or 2 in the afternoon of Dec. 22 so how about seeing if they'll be open that Tuesday? We can shoot a while and then have some food and a cold beer or two. I'll bring a handful of my pistols and some ammo to shoot 'em all.

5. bigtaco

bigtaco Active Member

that sounds good to me! i'd love to check out this club. seems close and you describe it as the cat's meow.

that afternoon would be the best shot for me to get together.

6. Stonewally

Stonewally New Member

I may be able to get away and join you guys if its not a problem to get us all in.

Although I have no intentions of joining, I always like checking out new places and meeting new people.

Will you guys be shootng pistols only? I dont have much to bring to the table, a beretta .22 and my m9, .40 cal beretta storm with a new rd.

I just picked up 1000 rnds of 223 for my ruger, it has yet to see a proper range session. I just got a 4x BSA tactical scope. It has the ranger rectile, and to be honest I already have a little buyers remorse. It just seems like too much going on in there, but the BDC lines have yet to be tested at 200yds +, so maybe I will change my mind.

anyways, what do you guys think? Room for 1 more? Outside if weather permits, or pistols only?

Havnt googled the range, but maybe I could just meet up with you before BT and catch a ride?

7. OffArtist

OffArtist New Member

Hey guys,

I spoke with BT this afternoon to try to find a way around the 2 guest limit and think we may have a solution. My buddy who is also a member may want to join us for some lead-slinging, in which case we could have up to 4 guests total. The indoor ranges are open the same hours as the bar in the clubhouse (11am to 12 midnight), so we could potentially show up at 5 or 6, shoot for a couple hours, and then enjoy some good cheer in the clubhouse.

I'm waiting for a callback from my friend before I say it's a go for sure. I'll update this as soon as he confirms. Also, if he can't make it we may be able to just have someone onsite hook us up as they're usually pretty cool about that sort of thing.

I'll be bringing the Steyr, the Bersa Thunder .380 (my new favorite carry piece now that Rich from Custom Carry Concepts hooked me up!) and also my new Hi-Point 995TS which I'm picking up next week. BT mentioned bringing the Kel-Tec SUB2000 and doing a side by side with our 9mm carbines which would be awesome.

Anyway, I'll update this thread as soon as I hear back.

:cheers:

-Austin

8. OffArtist

OffArtist New Member

Just re-read that post and realized we'd have 3 carbines present! - we can do a comparison shoot between the Hi-Point, the CX4, and the Kel-Tec. Netfotoj will be on hand to take some pics, and we may end up with a sweet review!

9. Stonewally

Stonewally New Member

OA- You dont have to pull too many strings to get me in, I would not be be dissapointed at all if you couldnt manage to get me in this time. I could always come out and meet up with you and BT some other time. It being so close to the holiday, im sure there will be a ton of stuff going on. Its funny though how if I dont just schedule things like this they never happen!

Anyway, let me know if your buddys going. My CX4 is a .40, but would be a good addition to a carbine review as I have shot all three now, and prefer the CX4 (price considered). It is really accurate at even 100yds.

10. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

I could bring along my Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum lever carbine, but if I did it would shame all you guys shooting your puny pistol cartridge carbines. Maybe I will anyway. After all, Christmas is the season of giving and humility is a gift. ;)
    [​IMG]

Seriously, I am looking forward to the trip and the shooting and maybe this time I'll actually remember to bring my camera. At the last Pittsburgh range trip, I forgot it and had to fall back on my cellphone camera, which is OK but it sure ain't my 10 megapixel Lumix with its incredibly sharp Leica zoom lens.

And I hope to have a pair of Para 45s by then, small and large, P12 and P14.

It's gonna be great, shooting with friends and then good food and good beer. :cheers:

11. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

We're planning to leave NC a day earlier than originally so we'll be driving up on Monday, Dec. 21, arriving late in the day. That means I'll be ready to go shoot whenever on Tuesday, so if we want to move our shoot up to early afternoon and do outdoors and indoors, that's fine with me. But if it's typical Pittsburgh snot-freezing weather, don't expect me to join you guys outside. I'll wait in the bar until you guys get through freezing your behinds off.
    :cheers: