I went to an NRA CHL class yesterday. It involved shooting 100 rds at about 7 yds, in 5 shot strings. Took my Steyr M40. Took only my M40, despite my intentions to bring a backup pistol. The M40 has been 100% reliable, until about a month ago when I had one (1) FTE, in which the empty remained in the chamber. Nothing more in the following 100 rounds. A week ago I decided to remove and clean the extractor and that area. I read about how the extractor can be a problem. I removed and cleaned, which it needed, and got everything back together OK. Sunday I went to the CHL class. I encountered 1 FTE roughly every 5 rds or so. The extractor moved fine, appeared intact. I tried switching ammo, to no avail. Then I tried a quick chamber brushing followed by a chamber bore mop. No improvement. Cursing and clearing each stoppage, I still finished the course of fire. I took the gun to a cleaning room, and removed the extractor. I thought it looked fine. A Glock armorer and another "gun store counter guy" both thought the extractor looked fine, and that the chamber just needed a good cleaning. That sounded reasonable, so I spent some time and really buffed out the inside, then went back for a function test. It FTE'd on rd 7. Rackin-fracken futher-#$%^%$!!! Back to dissassembly. This time I thought the extractor plunger looked a little odd. The top of the plunger is beveled, with a "mini-bevel" on the high spot. The mini-bevel was positioned inside (on the chamber side), with the main bevel facing out, away from the chamber. Hmmm. Switched that around and noted that the new position looked "mo betta". I tested with 2 12-rd mags, and it ran perfectly. I need to run a few boxes through to confirm function, of course. If I find no more problems, I'll have some serious words with the dumb mother-%$#&^ who installed the plunger wrong. But I'll need to stand in front of the mirror to see him. :lol: Ben D'oh!