CHL Class at Houston Area Range - HORRIBLE

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by AbsolutNeil, Aug 26, 2007.

1. AbsolutNeil

AbsolutNeil Guest

I recently attended a CHL class (for my TR100) here in Houston. I have been through this class before as I had my CHL previously.

My big concern is that the instructor that taught our class was HORRIBLE. He didn't seem to know the laws and wasted everyones time with non-applicable anecdotes. He spent very little time covering the "need-to-know" information. We barely even touched on where-to-carry topics. I could go on but there is little to say other than this class was horrible. Everyone was looking at each other as if this was some sort of joke.

This guy is signing off on TR100's for people and isn't preparing them.

Now my question: What should I do? Should I alert the Range? the state? Should I wait to get my license. Could this impact it?

I think it would be well worth it for someone to "sit-in" on this guy's class and see if he should be teaching.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Neil

2. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

If you are really that concerned, I believe it is a simple matter to report him to the state and they may or may not investigate it. If they find serious fault with what this guy is doing, I believe a LOT of licenses may be on the line... Check out texasonline.com's CHL page - I'm sure the info is burried there somewhere. Also, you would probably have better success (or at least a faster response) if you posted this over at texaschlforum.com...

3. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Well, what does your state require as far as required material in a class for a CCW permit? If the instructor presents what little the rules say he should, then the rest will be filler. I agree that war stories and guesses about what the law may say about the legal use of lethal force are irritating and a waste of time. Yet, what is he required to teach? I would check into it. Maybe someone from the controlling legal authority should sit in on his class and observe his routine. Other than that issue, don't recommend him to anyone who asks. Meanwhile, keep an eye out for a better instructor for your renewal. I have been through three different courses here, from three different instructors, and, believe me, they all stink. I feel your pain.

4. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Does your jurisdiction have a formal method of reporting such feedback?

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

This would be the place to start looking...

6. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

im in houston, im curious what range you are referring to. I went to Topgun range, for mine, and being a teacher it wasn't the best instruction but it wasn't bad either.
    I would recommend the place. The range is pricey but the cleanest, nicest, range in houston. that you wouldn't feel bad about taking a woman too. and be embarressed when she went to the bathroom. I think I've been to all the ranges in houston.

7. pilotbenjamin

pilotbenjamin New Member

I would talk to the range first and see what they say, if they don't respect your comment. then go to the state.

8. Sounds like you had Tackleberry from the Police Academy movies there as an instructor.

An instructor authorized to certify competence under state law for the license/permit to carry a concealed pistol is most likely not an attorney.

If the instructor is not a licensed attorney in that State he should avoid hypotheticals and stick with the black letter (ie straight from statutes or state approved course books for that purpose) teaching of the CHL laws. He should even avoid attempting to interpret case law or apply any real world situation he may have heard about to any hypothetical situation. If he doesn't stick to just to telling you what the black letter law is then he is practicing law without a license, which like practicing medicine without a license is illegal. He is charging you a fee so this "legal advice" of his is not a friendly bit of advice by any means.

Instructors should work closely with attorneys to help them develop a course of instruction that could deal with both real case law that shows application of the laws and some well developed practical hypotheticals. However, I believe that the state should approve course books for these classes that the instructor could use that have been developed by attorneys to avoid added expense and time.

Did he provide the class with any text books, copies of statutes, or anything of that nature?