Cheney Shoots Hunter in woods!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ripped, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Ripped

Ripped New Member

[​IMG]

WASHINGTON -

Vice President Richard Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a companion during a weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, spraying the fellow hunter in the face and chest with shotgun pellets.
    ADVERTISEMENT
    click here

Harry Whittington, a millionaire attorney from Austin, was "alert and doing fine" in a Corpus Christi hospital Sunday after he was shot by Cheney on a ranch in south Texas, said Katharine Armstrong, the property's owner.

He was described as in stable condition by Yvonne Wheeler, spokeswoman for the Christus Spohn Health System in Corpus Christi.

Armstrong in an interview with The Associated Press said Whittington, 78, was mostly injured on his right side, with the pellets hitting his cheek, neck and chest during the incident which occurred late afternoon on Saturday

full story at this link...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060212/ap_ ... g_accident

2. Seven

Seven Premium Member

Talk about...

...the gang that couldn't shoot straight. Yeesh. 8-O

And why did it take 24 hours for this to come out?

3. steyrile

steyrile Member

Re: Talk about...

Had to get their story straight?
    Lance

4. ScottW

ScottW New Member

Re: Talk about...

They had to make sure the guy survived. If Cheney killed him it would have been covered up entirely. :D

"Fortunately, the vice president has got a lot of medical people around him and so they were right there and probably more cautious than we would have been," she said. "The vice president has got an ambulance on call, so the ambulance came."

Moral of the story: it helps to have a history of heart attacks when you shoot somebody in the face.

5. Seven

Seven Premium Member

Not that I'm paranoid or anything...

But you're making me wonder how many *other* times this has happened that we haven't heard about! :-k

6. icecreamman

icecreamman New Member

awwww he's SMILING!

look how cuuuuute!

7. steyrile

steyrile Member

Cheney's is the face of a very gentle, focused man...
    8)
    I gather from this story, it's not safe to even stand behind him when he's got his eye on the prize.
    Lance

8. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

Oh Thats Just Grrrrrreat...the anti-gun loby is probably foming at the mouth ready to take this into their anti-gun debate for stricter legislation. NOT that the Bush Administration are pro-gun, but there certainly are those that are far left of them that would love to see a return to the Assault Weapons Ban among other things. This will be all over the news and not just to hurt the Bush Administration, but to harm everyones Second Amendment rights.

Thanks Vice President Cheney for providing the anti-gun folks with more fuel for their propaganda machine. I'd bet alot of money that John Stewart will be using this incident and making a connection to danger of firearms in his humor on the Daily Show. Now, this wont bring about serious change in and of itself, but it will help to sway (however slightly) more average Americans into thinking that stricter gun control is necessary.

9. alagator

alagator New Member

I will go with the "get the story straight " explanation for the delay. If you look closely, the scenario has not been described by Cheney or his office, they referred the reporters to the ranch owner. Any discrepancies or contradictions will land on her. Cheney has followed the politician's first rule- CYA. If the story is true, the victim bears some of the blame-- he came up unannounced behind a pair of hunters who were about to kick up a covey. In my very limited experience hunting quail, we never had more than two people approach a covey-they divide it up right and left. Anyone else stands back completely out of range. The victim is a long-time big-money Republican supporter, and the story will hold. I'm just glad he didn't take a pellet in an eye or a carotid artery.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Who knows if the story is true or not? It could have been made up by the politico spin doctors.

One thing that bothers me is that the spokeswoman (ranch owner's wife) kind of downplayed the accident as if these things happen all the time. They usually don't!

The shooter always takes responsibility. This is what I was taught! I'm sure many others were taught the same thing. :wink:

11. alagator

alagator New Member

I agree, there is only one man who pulled that trigger, but some basic quail hunting protocols seemed to have been ignored. That does not absolve the shooter of responsibility. Sooner or later some reporter is going to ask if the Texas laws were followed concerning timely notification of gunshot wounding. Nevertheless, Cheney is covered in Teflon. He will walk away unscathed, and shooters and hunters will bear the brunt of public displeasure. If you are wealthy and politically connected, justice is a bit different (Ted Kennedy comes to mind, let's be bi-partisan here). Once again, the good news is that the victim is alive. Although the ranch owner downplayed the wounds, the man was listed as being in intensive care this morning.

12. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint New Member

So he shot a lawyer... How many of us haven't wanted to do that at one time or another?

:wink:

joking of course...

13. alagator

alagator New Member

On the eighth day God created Satan so he woould have someone to take the blame. Then Satan, for the same reason, created lawyers.

14. ministerofdeath

ministerofdeath New Member

HA HA HA...everyone hates lawyers until they really need a good one. :D

15. jimmythesaint

jimmythesaint New Member

Oh so very very true!!!

16. Ripped

Ripped New Member

Update!!!

Ok this just in less than an hour ago...

Cheney Apparently Breaks Key Hunting Rule
    AP - 54 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney apparently broke the No. 1 rule of hunting: Be sure of what you're shooting at. He also violated Texas game law by failing to buy a hunting stamp. Cheney wounded fellow hunter Harry Whittington in the face, neck and chest Saturday, apparently because he didn't see Whittington approaching as he fired on a covey of quail in Texas. Hunting safety experts interviewed Monday agreed it would have been a good idea for Whittington to announce himself -- something he apparently didn't do, according to a witness. But they stressed that the shooter is responsible for avoiding other people.

17. Seven

Seven Premium Member

Frankly...

...annoyances like him not having the right stamp, et cetera, really don't matter that much to me - though clearly if any of us normal people did the same thing we'd get hit with a fine. But the argument "this happens when people hunt quail" just doesn't cut it with me. I've got about 35 years of bird-hunting experience, and I've never popped another hunter, or seen it happen. Lack of situational awareness for whatever reason - distracted, drunk, age, whatever - means you shouldn't be out in the field with a firearm. This is not typical of most decent hunters, and for some folks to be trying to say that "s*** happens" just hurts the rest of us. Yes, accidents do happen to the most careful of hunters - but when it takes 24 hours for the news to come out, I can't help but wonder what other factors were involved that someone doesn't want known.

18. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

The real story:

-D

19. Deluxe247

Deluxe247 Supporting Member

In further news:

-D