CFE Pistol loads

Discussion in 'Ammunition and Reloading' started by schgsd, May 14, 2016.

1. schgsd

schgsd Member

Test rounds today with CFE Pistol 3.5gr powder using Lyman Gen 6 scale.
    Mixed headstamp brass CCI 500 primer.

Rocky Mountain Reloading plated 147gr RN OAL 1.17 avg fps 772

Eggleston Munitions coated 147gr RN OAL 1.165 avg fps 830

2. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

I havent had them on chrono yet for various reasons but:

I can say that I have tried Ranier, Berry, and Black Bullets. in 115, 124, 147 for my 9mm. All of my Steyr are 9mm so I'll stick with this info......BB is the only hi-tek coated bullet i have tried so far.

Berry was ok. nothing great or poor. Decent groups. good enough for IDPA. Consistent.
    BB was POOR....I get frequent flyer miles with them. The Hi-Tek coating on them seems to be poorly done, flaking, peeling. The bullet diameter is all over the place. I cannot recommend. customer service has a lot to be desired as well.
    Ranier: Bar none the best i have loaded with in terms of accuracy and consistency. I will continue to purchase them for all of my Steyr guns.

I did use CFE as OP said. it was very dirty at low powder charges. I called Hodgdon and they stated that CFE was designed to be run hotter so it would burn completely. I switched to Clean Shot which is comparable to TiteGroup and it meters better and fires cleaner for me.

SurfGent likes this.

3. SurfGent

SurfGent Member

I love tite group works in everything. Usually a little cheaper per pound 2 boot

4. Hurry1996

Hurry1996 Member

Try 147 FP Acme Bullets and Bayou Bullets. Both cast with Hi-Tek coating. Well made and shoot true. Good customer service.

5. schgsd

schgsd Member

I'll have some hotter load data coming. I've got about 3 pages of loads so far playing around on the upper end of things.

SurfGent likes this.
  6. SurfGent

SurfGent Member

Has there been any down sides as far as mess with coated bullets. I would think sometimes you would find flakes of it in the internals of the gun. I accidentally bought some coated 338 win mag bullets once on a bargain table at my local shop. should have known better cause they we're really cheap. When i discovered they were coated i started investigating online about them and it was a litany of warning that they make a mess in the barrel the action and even the seating dies. So there they sit unused

7. schgsd

schgsd Member

The Eggleston's were clean when I shot them. No issues. I also shoot RMR Thundercast which is a lead cast bullet. Very accurate, they gunk the dies up a bit after I load them is all.

There are a lot of people trying the powder coat thing and I think that is where your problems may lie. Buy from a reputed maker and I bet you will be ok. With a quality product like the RMR Thundecast available though I just don't bother with the powder coated stuff.

SurfGent likes this.