CDNN M40 conversion

Discussion in 'M, C, L and S Series' started by fnewendaiku, Sep 25, 2007.

1. fnewendaiku

fnewendaiku Guest

So I just got it in this morning. Looks really cool! I'm going to have to clean it pretty good as it is a little sticky and it looks a little rusty where the serial numbers are on the barrel. The packaging had some holes in the plastic so moisture probably got in there a little and did a little number to the numbers. All in all the kit looks good and it went on just fine. Took it off the lower after taking a good look at it. I'll clean it tonight, if I have some time and take pictures too. Oh CDNN threw in a little pocket knife in the box. I feel loved.

2. rlwood29

rlwood29 Guest

Me to; fnewendaiku beat me to it; I guess I should have posted here first but I ran to Wally World to pickup some 40 S&W. Basically the same story, everything is pretty sticky (the spring was especially gummed up) but it clean up fine. No rust that I could see but I would not be surprised. Everywhere that wasn’t sticky was bone dry. Went together just fine, everything seems to work smooth. Slide says M40, not M40 A1. Will let you know more after I run to the range.

3. uncle_walty

uncle_walty Member

I was too late. Ordered one over the weekend. Got a confirmation email of the order yesterday. But got a sold out email today. I some how missed the posts about these conversion kits and didn't notice them in the CDNN catalog.

4. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

Congrat's on the 40 conversion kits from CDNN. I called our contact, Jerry this mornin' to confirm that there are indeed no more M- conversion kits available at CDNN...(0) 9MM and (0) 40SW conversion kits. :shock: Oh well, snooze ya loose. <shrug> He also confirmed that there are more than 1K each of the the M9-A1's and M40-A1's still in stock. The price will remain the same until further notice. Jerry wanted me to thank the Steyrclub for their support and assured me that he would give us a heads up should any developments occur with new Steyr pistol accessory acquisitions or pistol price changes. So, at least for a while longer, the $349/unit price will remain. <shrug> Hava great week. :)

Wulf

5. heavymetalmachine

heavymetalmachine New Member

1k Cool!!!

Now if I ever get the first one I ordered I may get another (no fault of CDNN)

6. rlwood29

rlwood29 Guest

Well I made it to the range this afternoon; so a brief range report. First I had my first problem but I think it was my fault. In 9mm, I had one not eject, not a stove pipe, but still caught in there, but I think I did not have the magazine fully inserted. Cleared it no problem and went on. Only hitch so far. I now have about 250 through the 9mm. Also ran a couple of magazines each of Winchester and Federal Premium +P defensive ammo with out a hitch.

Now to the 40 S&W; 100 rounds of WWB and not a problem. Also somewhat surprised that the 40 S&W didn’t seem to be hardly any more then the +P I had just shot. Being a Newbie at this, I guess I was expecting a bit more, maybe when I get to the 357 Sig! Absolutely cleaned out the center of the target, I am getting better, not good, but better

Just as I was finishing up another shooter showed up and asked what I was shooting and I gave him the abbreviated Steyr story and let him shoot a magazine of the 40 S&W. Then asked if he wanted to try a magazine full in the 9mm. He was a bit surprised at how easy it was for me to change. I think I have made two more Steryroids, a friend that I showed the gun to at lunch, and this guy. He is a 1911 guy but he has had some Glocks in the past and really liked the Steyr better (and the CDNN price). He also let me put a couple of magazines through his Springfield 1911, I can see why these firearms are so popular, and it was pretty fun to shoot.

7. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Don't ask me why 'cause I don't understand it, but 357 Sig, at least in a Steyr MA1 which is my only experience, has actually a lower recoil than .40 S&W. I bought a M40-A1 because I love my M357-A1 so much, but found that recoil is actually a bit "snappier" in .40 than 357 Sig. Don't make sense, as the 357 ballistics are head and shoulders above .40. But there it is. I also found the .40 recoil to be just a bit weird. Can't explain that either, just didn't like it. So I shopped around and found a gun dealer who had a subcompact S&W 9mm and worked a trade. I call my S&W 669 my "S9." Now I'm saving up to get me one of those M9-A1s from CDNN before they're gone. Almost there and am waiting for a couple of checks in the mail and then I'll be a double-Steyr owner again. My pistol fund got to the $200 level too slow to get me one of those CDNN 9mm conversion kits. :mrgreen:

8. rlwood29

rlwood29 Guest

Well I guess being pretty new at all this I knew what the 9mm +P felt like from a small light gun, Kahr PM 9, but I had heard everyone refer to the 40 S&W as being “Snappy”, the 357 Sig as a 9mm/40 S&W on steroids, and the 45 being the “big dog on the block”. Having shot 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP all for basically the first time and all in a row, I was surprised that it really wasn’t that big a deal. Not that there was not some difference, just not as much I was thinking there would be and nothing like shooting a revolving in 357mag which I actually found uncomfortable shooting after one box.

9. IrkedCitizen

IrkedCitizen New Member

I really wish I would have been able to get one of these. But I missed my chance.

C'est la vie.