Caracal Safety Recall

Discussion in 'Caracal C and F Series' started by Okie67, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Re: Caracal Saftey Recall

Looks like I'll be going back to carrying Steyr for awhile. This is a shame - it certainly won't help this brand catch on...

2. Talyn

Talyn New Member

The related extractor issues to the Steyr's don't help them out either.

3. xthexheadx

xthexheadx New Member

i'm glad you did!!!!!!

4. apvbguy

apvbguy New Member

I'd be happier if the gun didn't malfunction!

5. Okie67

Okie67 Member

Talked to Caracal USA this morning looks like this recall may take a few.The guy on the phone took my shipping address and serial numbers, other than that he didn't know how long the repair process would take. Hopefully they will tell me more in a few days.

6. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hiya Oakie*

Plz keep us in the loop.

G'luck, Bro.

Wulf

7. Doc

Doc New Member

I went the email route. No response yet, but I'm in no rush. The time away from the pistol does not disrupt me in any way, so I appreciate the free mag and the time to correct any potential safety issues. Hopefully, the turnover on repairs/maintenance won't be too horrific, but it can't be worse than waiting for NFA items ;)

8. Okie67

Okie67 Member

9. Frank N. Stein

Frank N. Stein New Member

That is quite a generous offer. I have not seen any manufacturer publicly admit that they would offer a customer a full refund if they are not satisfied. Honestly Caracal kinda fell off my radar after I heard about this recall but after seeing how they are handling this they are winning me back.

10. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I'll gladly buy one of those recalled firearms that somebody does not want for 150-200 dollars and take the free mag. =)

haha.

They are on top of this, and its probably a small quality control issue.

As others have spoke, this firearm is highly tested for the countries running it in their military.

Problems happen.

Look at all the automotive problems these companies have and we STILL buy from those companies?

11. Arizona Gunner

Arizona Gunner New Member

I feel like we have been screwed. With a 12 week lead time until they even begin scheduling repairs, it can't be a parts production or delivery problem from a modern factory. They clearly haven't figured out what to do yet to solve the problem. Mine are going back for a refund before the company goes belly up in the US market. And, the money will be going to Steyr. Bye bye, Caracal.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  12. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

Just called in on the QS C. My serial no. starts with "CL" but he took my data anyway, so I'm guessing all of the few Caracals in the US may be affected. CS told me up to a month, so I'm hoping the "up to twelve weeks" on the website is a WAG. Oh, well, at least they're backing it up - hope they have XXL t-shirts in the loyalty package, and I'm gonna give them a world of flack if they "forget" or try to up price that 15% break on the next one.

Oh, and no word at Steyr Haus Alabama as to the 357 Ls yet.

Nerts. I just realized I've used the word "hope" more often than Obama did in all the debates combined. Would someone please tell me that's not necessarilly a bad sign? You don't have to actually believe it.

13. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

You sound like a man who has clearly never dealt with US customs. International shipments can easily get held up, and it takes weeks for our model of inefficiency and waste to get around to processing shipments.

Talyn likes this.
  14. Arizona Gunner

This is very frustrating! I want to like the guns, darn it! Not sure what I am going to do.

15. jhb

jhb Member

easy solution buy a steyr, use it...and ride out the caracal recall until it's done.;) win/win. no reason to give up on the caracal just yet, imho.

heck im easily pleased.... i'm looking forward to a free caracal tshirt, hat, and magazine.

16. Talyn

Talyn New Member

you are correct.

They are probably collecting the guns in bulk for shipments as well, then doing the export, which will be taxed, then when the bulk is fixed, probably in a matter of a few hours, they have to re-package them all with new magazines and yada yada make sure everyone has the shit they sent, then pay import taxes for the US, distribute them to various places, then the inefficiency of the american worker comes into play because people don't take pride in their work and they will hold you up because they are feeling lazy about shipping.

There are TONS of factors involved in this, many many middle men and rules and regulations.

Recalls are a HUGE deal, that's why it's just now being addressed, they might have known for a month or 2, even longer.
    Gotta wait for results. X amount in X amount of failures results in a full recall.
    No small task.

Guys are acting like the company is screwing you when it's just the way life works.

17. apvbguy

apvbguy New Member

in addition they (caracal) are limiting liability by gathering up as many pistols as they can, now if another malfunction occurs they can say that they were aware of the problem and taking steps to rectify the problem

18. Arizona Gunner

Aargh! I wish they would just replace the UAE production guns with new German made pistols. There is no mention of a recall on the German web site www.caracal-germany.de. I wonder if they are ignoring the problem, or is the pistols are made of different materials, better workmanship, or ?

19. jhb

jhb Member

absolutely. if it were my company i'd do the same....well i'd do it so i knew i did everything i could to prevent an injury, but the lawyers would tell me to do it anyways....and so it would be the smart thing to do. whether for ethics and morals or protecting one's rear end as much as possible from the nightmare of a legal system in this country (the usa i mean).

20. Wulf

Wulf Premium Member

Hi Guys :)

I am very curious to hear what Herr Bubits has ta say about this recall.

I'll try and get that info, but its been a while since I've been in contact with him.

If anybody has been in contact with him lately, maybe you could get his thoughts on the recall and post it to the Club.

Just a thought. <shrug>

Take care, Boys.

Wulf <-- really would like to hear from the designer :thumbsup: