Caracal Recall Redux

Discussion in 'Caracal C and F Series' started by babj615, Sep 9, 2013.

1. babj615

babj615 Premium Member

2. Okie67

Okie67 Member

Looks like I will be keeping mine,my model F (QS) was replaced under the recall but my other two were not.These might be worth something in the future or not.Either way I'm holding on to them!

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

Welp, I think I'll give up on the C - even though I absolutely love it. I'm sick of all this and I wouldn't mind so much turning it into a L9A1 (which may be a new form of masochism). I guess I'll always have my F...

4. jhb

jhb Member

all i got is my replaced f, standard 8 sights. i'm keeping since it's not in the new, new recall now, or at the time of this post. who's to say when this will change?

i doubt these will be worth anything long term except to a niche collector.....but i like the pistol and as long as it doesn't die, i'm okay with keeping it and using it.

5. Branth

Branth New Member

I'm lamenting the loss of the QuickSights. I have a bit of a fetish for unusual sighting systems. It's one of the things I like about my Steyr!

6. Kennydale

Kennydale New Member

Don't own one, I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to purchase a next Gen CARACAL. If the recall is this bad that tells me they have a manufacturing quality control that extremely poor or their R&D just doesn't care.

7. Okie67

Okie67 Member

Talked to Caracal today and looks like I might send in my model C .Was also told a lot of people are thinking about keeping their Waffen Werks stamped pistols.Don't know which way I will go, but my model F's are staying.
    They are still going to do the recalls on the rest of the F models and will keep parts available for them as well.

8. Urban_Redneck

Urban_Redneck New Member

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just ask for an even up trade for another F, I put a lot of rounds through my other one shooting IDPA etc.

9. Doc

Doc New Member

I'm not entirely sure what I will do at this point. I love my Waffen Werks C, but this is obviously worrisome. I may wait to see if any more information comes out first, to see exactly why they're recalling everything. I liked the "conspiracy theory" about the ATF's importing habits, but who knows. Is this a knee-jerk reaction to something stupid or am I putting myself legitimately at risk for harm by firing it? At any rate, if I keep it, I will keep it with the intent of using it. If I send it back, it's unlikely I will give Caracal another try.

Hopefully more information will be released.

10. jhb

jhb Member

good news on parts for the f. I was worried about that.

What a mess this whole turned out to be. Kinda wish I had kept my waffen werks f now.....oh well....

11. Doc

Doc New Member

Well, I'll probably send it in. This is what they say about the recall:
    I don't want to blow my hand off.

12. WayneJessie

WayneJessie New Member

Obviously Caracal knew the problem was larger than they were letting on. It just did not make sense that they kept stalling for time getting replacement guns out on the market. The last time I spoke with a Caracal rep it was obvious he was at his wits end but could not go into detail and that was many months ago. If/when the 2nd generation guns go online they may wish to consider pricing them significantly below Glock, M&P, and others. This debacle will take a while for them to overcome in our crowded polymer gun market; if they can overcome it. They may also wish to loose the stupid sights. Using a common sight system such as Glock's or Sig's design would encourage people to buy a gun that good tritiums are readily available for.

13. Doc

Doc New Member

The stupid sights? I loved the sights! Having a common option is nice, but the QS was an amazing innovation, and I shoot the straight 8's better than the standard 3-dots. Honestly, all hiccups aside, it's a very well designed gun. It's unfortunate that the production and lack of quality control set it back.

14. clw

clw New Member

Or my wifes! Or any relative that I let shoot her!

So, what's next after the refund money hits the bank? I was thinking a Steyr C9-A1, any other thoughts?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  15. Riogrande481

Riogrande481 Member

I almost bought a Caracal F. Handled one at the LGS then shot one and quite liked it. Glad I decided way back then to go for a CZ P09 instead.

I do not know if Caracal as a brand still has a chance in the crowded and competitive market in the USA. About everything possible to slow them down has happened. This is too bad the QS guns were cool and the Caracal trigger smooth yet crisp.

16. Doc

Doc New Member

I am actually tempted to get an F, since they didn't fall under the recall. I have an excellent custom holster that simply needs a companion.

17. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I'm thinking I'll probably put up a for sale ad in the Classifieds for my F soon. I shot the hell out of the first one, but after getting a brand new one after the recall, I decided to leave it unfired just in case I did decide to abandon the brand.

18. clw

clw New Member

Just read my email back from Caracal USA. I had asked if just a replacement was an option. They said under ATF reg's you have to replace it with the same exact model. The C line now discontinued.

Maybe the F is too. Neither F's or C's show up on Gun Genie.

19. ThaiBoxer

ThaiBoxer Active Member

Camel Gun vs Kraut Gun

Gotta go with the Kraut gun.

20. jhb

jhb Member

Ive thought about this for awhile now. What made the c a design that couldnt be fixed....but the f a design that could be? Guess what I am saying is.....is the f truly safe? Call me a pansy...but I think im retiring mine as a collectable non shooter. I got enough pistols I trust far more. I may change my mind again....but at this point I think mines a non shooter from now on.