Steyr Club Forums banner
9K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  stmcelroy 
#1 · (Edited)
Wow! I have finally found THE gun that fits my hands correctly..... :thumbsup:

Why did I not buy a Caracal C sooner, love it more than my F.

Bye bye Glock 19......;)

Quick crappy cell phone pic, will get some better ones when the sun comes out in July..... :p

See less See more
#6 ·
Like the grip on the C a little better than the F. Don't get me wrong I like the F a lot, but the grip on my M&P and Glock feel a little better than the F although I do like how high I can grip the F.
The grip angles and contours should be the same, except for the grip length...

#9 ·
The grip angles and contours should be the same, except for the grip length...
I think it's just that the C grip fits completely in the palm of the hand so it feels more secure, plus the slide length might balance better. One thing I really prefer on the C is the slide lock, it's bent more than on my F and doesn't get in the way of my thumbs forward grip.

#11 ·
Hello there, first post :)

Grip is not the same, C is slightly wider (longer) in the top section - therefore it feels a bit bigger.
Didn't notice the rear portion of the "beavertail" is squared off on the C, where on the F it is rounded off and has a space for the shoulder stock to attach to.

The longer beavertail locks the gun into the hand a little better for me on the C compared to the F.

#14 ·
Could have fooled me...

Compensate for my less-than-perfect line-up and photoshop and it's pretty much identical.
Look at the rear of the "beavertail" and see the slight difference, the put them both in your hands and you can notice it a bit. The F is rounded and has a slot for the stock, the C is more squared off and slightly extended.

#15 ·
Hmmmm, I'd be more willing to bet that the F feels better to some people because of differences in balance.

Also, I'll admit to being slightly annoyed by the little bump on the C's front strap right above the mag well (you can see it in the overlay pic) and while I don't think it affects handling, it certainly make my size XL hands "feel" more cramped on the C...

#16 ·
Finally got out to shoot my C today. Took it along with the F, new M&P FS 9mm, Glock 17 and 21SF.

After putting a couple of magazines through each I was not at all surprised that the C shot the best group out of all of them at 15 yards. I shoot the C just slight high and left, the F just a tad higher. Then again I shoot all of my guns left, I need to work on my technique more and shoot more often.

At this point I'm really impressed by how well the Caracals shoot, first time in my hand and i'm out shooting guns that I've had for years.

Seriously considering only shooting the Caracal C or the C & F exclusively for a while.

#21 ·
Finally got out to shoot my C today. Took it along with the F, new M&P FS 9mm, Glock 17 and 21SF.

After putting a couple of magazines through each I was not at all surprised that the C shot the best group out of all of them at 15 yards. I shoot the C just slight high and left, the F just a tad higher. Then again I shoot all of my guns left, I need to work on my technique more and shoot more often.

At this point I'm really impressed by how well the Caracals shoot, first time in my hand and i'm out shooting guns that I've had for years.

Seriously considering only shooting the Caracal C or the C & F exclusively for a while.
How would you compare the recoil of the Caracals F & C and the G17/M&P?

#22 ·
How would you compare the recoil of the Caracals F & C and the G17/M&P?
They're all basically the same, 9mm doesn't seem to kick much anyways.

The Caracals fit in my hand better so they are easy to keep on target. I'm not able to rapid fire or shoot at anything other than paper targets at my range, otherwise I might be able to comment on what shoots better and fast for me.

#23 ·
^ 2nd that. 9mm has no recoil. A lot of emphasis has been placed on how low recoiling the Steyr is because of the low-bore axis. I really can't tell the difference in a 9mm, even with very hot +P+ rounds. I've shot a G17/19 and the Steyr M9/M9-A1 side by side and 9mm has so little kick it doesn't make a difference. I doubt the .357SIG would make a difference, either.

Now if it's a 10mm, then I might be able to tell the difference.

#24 ·
I'll disagree with the rest on this - I think there is a marked difference. When shooting a G17 or M&P9 side-by-side with a Caracal F, there does seem to be slightly less recoil coming from the Caracal. I chalk that up to a lower-profile slide - the slides of the Glock and S&W are a LOT more blocky and top-heavy, and I believe that does indeed contribute to a little more muzzle flip than one experiences with the Caracal.

There is a very marked difference between teh Caracal C and M&Pc, but that is to be expected - the Caracal has a better design as outlined above, and it's bigger. I haven't yet shot a Caracal C side-by-side with a G19, so I can't really make a true apples-to-apples comparison with that one yet.

But it is all 9mm - you have to really be looking for a difference to split these hairs.

#25 ·
^ 2nd that. 9mm has no recoil. A lot of emphasis has been placed on how low recoiling the Steyr is because of the low-bore axis. I really can't tell the difference in a 9mm, even with very hot +P+ rounds. I've shot a G17/19 and the Steyr M9/M9-A1 side by side and 9mm has so little kick it doesn't make a difference. I doubt the .357SIG would make a difference, either.

Now if it's a 10mm, then I might be able to tell the difference.
I can feel an obvious difference between +p and non +p 9mm. Its not huge, but its there. I can also tell a difference between any 9mm and 357 Sig, 40 S&W & 45 ACP. Never felt the need to try 10mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.