Caracal .45

Discussion in 'Caracal C and F Series' started by Polecat, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Polecat

Polecat New Member

Any plans for a .45?

I love my Fullsize QS and want a .45

2. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I'd love a caracal or steyr in a 45 setup.
    I"m bummed that this isn't there. =\

3. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy New Member

I'd like to see it as well as long as they could keep the ergos the same. The 40 is supposed to be out at SHOT next year.

4. khoff

khoff New Member

I would like to see a 10mm Auto come out, i would jump all over one !

5. CaraC

CaraC New Member

Id be all over Caracal C in .45 , holy moly!!!

6. Creeper

Creeper New Member

Just in case the folks at Caracal are paying attention... a .45ACP chambering would be a wonderful thing. I'd most certainly buy one, or two. :drool:

Cheers,
    C

7. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I think everyone here would buy a 45ACP if Caracal or Steyr put one out.

Full size too! no sissy stuff! Give us some reach!

8. Il Cattivo

Il Cattivo New Member

Thank you. I was about to say...

9. jhb

jhb Member

I'm more a 9mm fan. Always have been, unless we are talking 1911's. That said a .45acp caracal f would be high on my gotta have list. Course 10mm would be nice too.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  10. Talyn

Talyn New Member

I'd take a 45 over a 10mm.

A 40 is very very similar to a 10mm though and it is possible to convert 40 to a 10 in some cases.

11. jhb

jhb Member

Agreed. .45 id prefer of the two. for lower cost and better selection of ammo.

10mm would be my second pick cause not allot of choices in current made stuff.

if i could only get one choice...id pick gods caliber.(.45)

12. zorro

zorro New Member

As far as I know because of the pressure difference in a 10mm you can not convert a 40 to a 10m

13. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

That depends solely on the barrel quality and dimensions. For the most part it's true, but...

14. Talyn

Talyn New Member

15. jhb

jhb Member

need some clarification here, and i apologize as i don't want to hijack this thread and i will get back on topic in a second.....a gun built for 10mm can shoot 40 s&w, but a gun built for 40 s&w cannot shoot 10mm, unless it is over engineered? am i on the right track?

i've always been a believer in shooting through it, only what the gun says on it. only exception i make is shooting .223 rem through a 5.56 nato rifle.

y'all will laugh at me...but i also only shoot .357 mag through a .357 mag revolver....cause i don't like cleaning up the burnt powder and crud in the chambers of the cylinder from the shorter .38 special rounds.

back on topic....the more i ponder what round....a .45acp caracal f would be awesome.

16. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

The 40 S&W is a shorter case than the 10mm, but the same diameter. Therefore, the 40 fits in a 10, but not vice versa. A 40 S&W "could" be rechambered - the chamber stretched to 10mm - and provided the chamber wall was thick enough in the new portion of the chamber, you could shoot 10mm nicely. The timing will change, so you'd need a new, heavier recoil spring to keep from trapping brass in the receiver opening. It's not exactly like it meant the 40 was over engineered, just that the barrel had enough wall thickness. I'm all in favor of wall thickness.

The Steyr M/S series were designed as 40 S&W first, so one might, I say advisedly, might, be able to do that with a Steyr. I wouldn't shoot any +P+ loads though.

17. Talyn

Talyn New Member

The hi point is a good example for doing this but not necessarily other guns.
    Reason being, if you've looked at any hi-point at least in recent years, you'll notice they are lead slinging bricks. They are cheap and designed to be used as clubs as well as precision instruments. They are over engineered, not all firearms are build to brick standards. They are usually a bit more than enough but not to much. Hence why it's so important to make sure you fire only the rounds your pistol is meant for.

18. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I don't know if I agree with this. Hi-Point firearms appear to be "over engineered" in the sense that there is a LOT of material (built "to brick standards"); there is a lot of material because the guns are made out of pot metal, so it requires twice as much to last half as long.

19. ETH77

ETH77 Premium Member

Gee Syn, tell us how you really feel!

I'd have to say that not knowing the alloy used for the barrel, there appears to be a lot of it around the chamber, like Talyn says. But, if the steel isn't 4130, then it's there, like Syn says, because it's lower tensile strength - I wouldn't call it pot metal, but there's a huge diff between 1008, or 1108 and 4130 or even 4350. I'll take the latter, thank you.

Over time, stresses on lower quality alloys can result in cracking and fractures. It won't happen with a 40 S&W, but it might with a 10 mm. The pressures are different - like over 7,000 CUP different without the full 200 gr bullet. It would be interesting to see the pressures being generated in that hacked HiPoint...