Car carry for lefties

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Netfotoj, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Sometimes, not often, but sometimes, it pays off to be a lefty. I bought a $275 Hungarian-made Browning Hi-Power as a "beater" to keep in my car and I found a cheap nylon holster for the Hi-Power with a belt clip.

Was I ever pleased when it dawned on me that the junk pocket at the bottom of the driver's door on my Toyota Camry is just perfect to hang the belt clip on (with the clip on the right-hand side of the ambidextrous holster).

It's just the right height to nestle under my left knee as I'm driving and right there in easy reach of my left hand if the SHTH. When I get out, I slip it under the seat and out of sight.

I work where carry is verboten (as most workplaces are) but at least when I'm in my car, I'm armed and ready.

Here's a couple of photos with the driver's side door open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Hi-Power nestles up right next to the hardback Bible I keep in that car-door pocket. Only question is should I read over 'em before I shoot 'em or after? (Definitely after!) :mrgreen:

2. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE Premium Member

Nice low-cost solution as long as someone (like a LEO) doesn't see it sitting there.
    How well concealed is it when you are driving?

3. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

I shoot southpaw, too - my only concern with a car carry setup like this is that engaging at target on the driver side is an awkward process. Instead, I opt to "carry" right handed in the car.

4. Netfotoj

Netfotoj Premium Member

Selfdefense, I've got a CCW permit, but the pistol hides behind my knee and my wife, who's more than a bit paranoid about guns, hasn't even noticed it being there when she's riding right beside me so I can say it's pretty well hidden.

Syntax, I thought about that, but the seat belt seems to be too much in the way for me. (It might have something to do with my 265 lbs. of bulk hanging all over the seat belt, but let's not talk about that.) I figured even left-side carry is better in the car because of the seat belt not getting in the way.

I'm pretty ambidextrous, so I can carry on either side. Or more accurately, I'm really undextrous, equally clumsy with either hand. I'm more like Cozell McQueen, a basketball player for NCSU a few years ago. He made a left-hand shot in a game and a reporter asked if he'd been practicing lefty? He replied, "Naw, I don't have to practice. I'm amphibious." :mrgreen:

5. Syntax360

Syntax360 Premium Member

:lol:

Whatever works best for ya. :)

6. Shooter

Shooter Premium Member

I'm lefty also. I would rather carry a cross-draw holster in the car and use the right hand. I'm a bit concerned about open holster like that even in Florida........at least if it is on me, its legal period........that set up could be trouble here.........